Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

I started drinking one cup of coffee a day (first thing in the morning) when I was around 8 or 9 y.o., and so did most of my friends at school. At that time I lived in a coastal rural northern BC region and it was not uncommon for many school kids in my area to start drinking daily coffee (or sometimes tea) at that early an age. We were all farm kids and in the winter the hit of caffeine and hot liquid helped wake us up and heat up the body. That increase in body heat was important before going out in the dark cold and snow to do regular morning farm chores before leaving to walk to school. Likewise for adults headed off to work. I didn't know anybody of any age who didn't drink coffee. Beginners started drinking coffee in winter and by summer time we were hooked. I still always have one BIG mug of coffee first thing every morning with lots of 18% coffee cream and three spoons of sugar in it - that's my quota for the day.

A bit of trivia for you - according to several studies and polls that have been done, on a per capita basis Canadians are noted to import and consume more coffee and coffee byproducts than the people in any other countries in the world. It didn't surprise me to learn that considering how so many of the Canadian population have developed a love for coffee at such an early age. I personally suspect that a morning cup of strongly caffeinated coffee helps to counteract SADS in susceptible people who live in the far north.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Definitely remember drinking while in the military. Can't recall for sure if it started on our 1st tour in Italy or before that.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
I'm 40 and I still don't drink coffee. I just don't care for the flavor of it, if I drown it in enough flavored creamer I can get down a cup, but then I'm drinking mostly sugar, and the caffeine in it makes me so jittery I can't even concentrate. Really I am not a fan of coffee at all.

I do like a nice cup of green decaf tea now and then, especially in the winter when it's cold outside.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I sstarted drinking coffee when i was in the 4th grade.I like it with cream or milk and sweetener.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Mom wouldn't let me drink coffee in her house until I was 16. Coke was OK, though. I started drinking coffee in my teens, but didn't drink it regularly until I was in my mid twenties.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
I had a summer job during college. I was the secretary to a military officer, and all I had to do was make his coffee, greet the junior officers before meetings, and answer the phone.

I didn’t drink coffee and my parents only drank mud (instant coffee), so I had no clue what to do. My boss only liked Folger’s, so he showed me how to make it. He liked it very strong and black, and that was the way all his staff drank it as well. Really, his only requirement of me was to keep the coffee coming, and to be sure to have a pot ready when he arrived in the morning.

It was probably the easiest job that I ever had, but it was also boring, plus I was usually tired from partying the night before, so I started drinking it myself, just to stay awake and alert at work. I still drink it strong & black, and every now and then, I’ll buy Folger’s.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I started drinking one cup of coffee a day (first thing in the morning) when I was around 8 or 9 y.o., and so did most of my friends at school. At that time I lived in a coastal rural northern BC region and it was not uncommon for many school kids in my area to start drinking daily coffee (or sometimes tea) at that early an age. We were all farm kids and in the winter the hit of caffeine and hot liquid helped wake us up and heat up the body. That increase in body heat was important before going out in the dark cold and snow to do regular morning farm chores before leaving to walk to school. Likewise for adults headed off to work. I didn't know anybody of any age who didn't drink coffee. Beginners started drinking coffee in winter and by summer time we were hooked. I still always have one BIG mug of coffee first thing every morning with lots of 18% coffee cream and three spoons of sugar in it - that's my quota for the day.

A bit of trivia for you - according to several studies and polls that have been done, on a per capita basis Canadians are noted to import and consume more coffee and coffee byproducts than the people in any other countries in the world. It didn't surprise me to learn that considering how so many of the Canadian population have developed a love for coffee at such an early age. I personally suspect that a morning cup of strongly caffeinated coffee helps to counteract SADS in susceptible people who live in the far north.

Interesting. I know I consume more coffee in the winter than I do in summer. And tea, for that matter.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
when i started going to college

before then i rarely drank it

Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I am resurrecting this thread because of the age question in another thread about drinking coffee.

I was surprised to know how many people started drinking coffee at a young age. If you did not post here before, now is your chance. If you want to add something, feel free.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
15 in France. Our grandparents even let us have a glass of wine with dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink