Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times

Advertisements

Jam sandwich - you take two pieces of bread and "jam" them together! LOL Actually, when we were little, we did eat ketchup sandwiches!!!

Great thread idea Lisa!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM

128 posts, read 362,596 times
Not a recipe, but a thought:
If the $10,000 Viking gas range was the must-have appliance of the last decade, the good old fashioned crock-pot (~$30 new) is the must have kitchen appliance of this new economy. Costs pennies in electricity for 8 hours of cooking, and turns the toughest (cheapest!) meat into tender morsels. Plus, you can usually find lots of serviceable crock pots at the local thrift store.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Tortilla Espanol/Frittatas--------basically unfolded omelets are nice served in either warm/room temp wedges. Can also be dressed up, served with crusty bread, salad, a glass of wine for a simple, satisfying meal.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,704 times
any kind of meat in a crock pot then add carrots, potatoes, onions to it with salt and pepper to taste
left overs for tomorrow, mix all up and add brown gravy mix and tomatoes for a stew.

as a kid, we did elbow macaroni and tomatoes that my mom canned every summer (no meat in it)

mixed beans was an every day staple growing up and we eat them alot now
put in crock pot in am, ready to eat at night
left overs, add ground beef and tomatoes with chili powder

Old 01-10-2009, 03:28 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
I go with cheese soup, you can make a big pot for not much money.

Saute 1 small onion, 2 carrots, 3 stalks of celery (all veggies finely diced or minced) in 2 Tbsp butter until veggies are soft

Add 3/4 cup flour and 1 tsp cornstarch

Stir until all butter is absorbed.

Slowly add 2 quarts of rich chicken broth (3 cans broth, 2 cans water seems about right).

Stir until smooth

Add 1 lb cheddar cheese (I like sharp cheddar), grated. Add the cheese slowly. If you dump it in all at once it will glob up and will ruin the soup. Do a handful at a time.

Add 1/2 lb of bacon (I use the pre-cooked, already chopped up stuff, but you can cook and chop it up yourself).

Bring to a boil and add 1/2 lb. chopped and cooked broccoli.

Add 2 cups of milk,

Use a large, heavy kettle and low heat.

ENJOY!

*Diluting the broth with water helps the soup to last longer.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
Another good idea that I like to make is called SLAM: (I got this idea from another C-D person, so the credit goes to him!)

SLAM

1 jar of cheese

1lb. of ground beef

1 bag of cheese doritos ( or any kind of chips)

1 package of Taco seasoning

5 Packs of Ramen Noodles( dont use the seasoning packets included)

Directions: Brown ground beef and drain. Add taco seasoning and jar of cheese. Boil noodles accoding to package, then add to ground beef mixture. Put Chips in a dish and pour beef, cheese and noodle mixture over top.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Jam sandwich - you take two pieces of bread and "jam" them together! LOL Actually, when we were little, we did eat ketchup sandwiches!!!

Great thread idea Lisa!!
I used to eat sugar sandwiches. I got it from Buffy and Jodi(I think) from "Family Affair". Now that's going back, lol.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I used to eat sugar sandwiches. I got it from Buffy and Jodi(I think) from "Family Affair". Now that's going back, lol.
LOL, you and I are about the same age, and I used to watch Family Affair every day! LOL! Wow, talk about a blast from the past! Remember "Sigmund and the sea Monster"?
To keep on topic - you can actually buy an off brand "Hamburger Helper" for a dollar or less - add 1 lb ground beef and voila! Not exactly "uptown cuisine" but neither am I! LOL

Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
LOL, you and I are about the same age, and I used to watch Family Affair every day! LOL! Wow, talk about a blast from the past! Remember "Sigmund and the sea Monster"?
To keep on topic - you can actually buy an off brand "Hamburger Helper" for a dollar or less - add 1 lb ground beef and voila! Not exactly "uptown cuisine" but neither am I! LOL
Yes I remember "Sigmund....." Too funny. Ok, more ideas.

Pancakes

French Toast

Bean Burritos

Old 01-10-2009, 06:10 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,881 times
How about porcupine meatballs? I haven't tried this, but I've got it on my menu for next week, just substituting regular rice instead of instant. Maybe with a side of stir-fried cabbage. Hamburger is about the cheapest red meat available. We have to have meat for dinner at our house. We may cluck from all the chicken , but we do have meat.
http://new.stephanieskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_8s0_78n5Ms0/R_fweFsHSCI/AAAAAAAAAlI/uRPyXvF12DA/s320/DSC00852.jpg (broken link)

[SIZE=4]Porcupine Meatballs[/SIZE]
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup instant rice
1 egg
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon parsley
2 cans tomato soup
3/4 cup water
Mix together rice, egg, cheese, and seasonings. Add beef and mix until combined. Place the tomato soup and water in a large saucepan that is placed over medium heat and mix until smooth. Roll meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs. Place meatballs in the soup, cover saucepan and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve meatballs with the remaining sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink