Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just read about 50 pages to catch up and now I am sleepy!!

I am having a great time on vacation......we have had a non-stop, party filled week since last Weds. We got in around midnight and stayed up chatting and drinking(!) with my parents until 3 am. The we had a wonderful dinner with my folks Thursday night before meeting other family and friends for drinks at a local restaurant with an outdoor patio and live band playing. That was a late night, and the next night we had an engagement party thrown for us and we went to another local bar and sang karaoke until two am. The next morning we got up and drove to Wisconsin to camp for two days and go see a band (Phish) perform at Alpine Valley on Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning drove around Lake Michigan to a town called Pentwater, Michigan, where my parents have a house and we relaxed the rest of the night. The next day we scouted some wedding sites (date is July 17th, 2010!!) and had a bbq and then went to the pub in town with my brother and sis-in-law. My "FIANCE" left back to Denver yesterday afternoon and after that I met up with college roomies and we saw the Indigo Girls last night........man......I am EXHAUSTED. I have ate out practically every meal and have had cocktails every night. I've had some great meals and some not so great meals, but enjoyed the company at every one!! Today I finally got to sleep in and have been lazy all day. I might take another nap right now. It is ridiculously hot and humid here.

Hope everyone is great! Lacey, I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
HG: so good to see you and I'm happy that you are having such a wonderful time with all your friends and family.

July 17th next year is a very good day to be married all the planets are in alignment to make for a beautiful wedding.

I am chomping on a ham & swiss sand. on sourdough roll right now as we speak.

And to ans. your q that you sent to me, yes, I am writing another cookbook--lacey & george & dh have the whip out and keeping me in the proper pecking order with my priorities, writing #1, everything else #2. Man you don't want to get on the bad side of them, that whip stings.

Happy afternoon everyone, I know, I know, I'm going----GONE!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Thumbs up fannie..."farkle..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Fannie Farmer (in paperback) was my first cookbook when I got married in the mid 60's. I have since had to replace it twice from ebay, since I only want the old version, not any new fangled "improved" version.
It contains the most basic, classic recipes..perfect for a new, or old, cook. People always talk about the Joy of Cooking as being the be all and end all, but to me, Fannie Farmer is.
i do, by and large, agree w/ you about fannie. american cooking seems to be right in line w/ her ideas, ideals, and suggestions. of course, the "joy of cooking" is so very much french-based that it tends to skew the american culinary approach---good, bad or indifferent. i have the white hard bound edition of fannie, and i think it has just her originial recipes in it. i'm curious enough to go to my library and check---just not at this moment. i'll get back to you, lol.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ohhh Worm! Your story takes me back to the national mall in DC and all those times we went to hear symphonies or bands play at the Capitol or at one of the monuments. Happy memories And yes, no matter how good the score is, those evenings never are about the quality of music but about the quality of experience! Thanks for sharing Oh and - Mooseketeer and I had hummus and tunes too - fancy that!
I saw the Metropolitan Opera in Cental Park once. I sat on a bench behind a baseball backstop listening to a South Korean soprano sing an Italian opera based on a French novel, seemed pretty much like America in a nutshell to me

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If I only cooked for myself, I'd eat a LOT of insalata caprese - made with only super fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, good quality EVOO, and lots of fresh basil from my garden.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....................................

Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I just got a forwarded email......with a warning about those sweet little cocktail carrots.....being cut from mis shaped large carrots.....they are then soaked in a chlorine solution....and since they are peeled...they absorb more than they would normally. The email commented that the white stuff that forms on the carrots if you leave them in the fridge a few days.....is the chlorine coming out of the inside of the carrot. Chlorine is not a healthy substance to be munching or giving to your kids for a snack. (we have a dog that loves them too).

I checked this on Snopes Urban Legends....it appears to be true...though Snopes doesnt comment on any health hazard.

I think I will make my own carrot stix from now on.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Thanks for sharing the warning, Elston.

Personally never understood why people buy those.. I hate the taste. Now I understand why they taste chemically!!!

It takes me about 10 seconds each to peel the much cheaper, fresher, and delicious whole carrots I buy. Making them into sticks adds a little more time, I'll admit.

Those bagged salads have a similar odor and bad taste compared to fresh sweet lettuce, maybe they'll be the next email forward.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
HG I can feel your excitement. Now folks we have a wedding to plan!!!!

Elston thank you for that as I do buy them although I do it to save time. The ones you peel yourself are sweeter and cheaper too.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Hey, we should have a -1 year anniversary party for Highland's this July!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Exclamation put a little fannie in your baking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Wow I have that Boston School of Cooking cookbook. It was my Mother in Law's and I got all her recipes along with that book when she died in '06. It has definately been used and has some good wear and tear on it.
i read this "shout out for fannie" and i just had to say that i have never found a caramel frosting better than the one detailed in the farmer cookbook. i can honestly say that i have never had one of her recipes to fail on me---boiled or otherwise, FANNIE takes the "CAKE", so to speak. it is easily adaptable to cream, evaporated milk, buttermilk, and extra caramelized sugar/light corn syrup. my notes in her recipe book indicate that i always factor (Fx3) the caramel frosting original recipe for a 3 layer cake cut into 6 torte layers. i use caramel syrup mixed with 2 tablespns of evaportated milk brushed on each of the inner layers. wonderful recipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink