Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I did get out to the butcher shop and got some really nice porterhouse steaks.....(I never had porterhouse....I usually get sirloin and have done the rib eye....but I dont like them very much....they had a less expensive cut of steak I had never heard of called "hanger steak" it looked really nice....has anyone had experience with it?
Hanger steak is a local term so I really don't have an answer. Here is a chart of beef cuts. Here the term tri tip is used in place of sirloin tip. Local terms are often used as marketing strategy. Here is a chart of what comes from where. Having worked as a meat cutter many years ago I have seen a lot of marketing over the years. Round steak is still round steak to me and not London broil....

Cuts of beef

(http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts_photos/bme_mini_handout.pdf - broken link)

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-15-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Fixing link

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Sauteed up some garlic/red pepper flake shrimp and had over a risotto made with onions, garlic, pancetta, peas, and homemade shrimp stock. A bottle of a dry, citrusy Spanish white and I'm a happy camper

Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
tonight was cube steak , baked potato & beets.
I have fixed cube steak twice in the last week and a half! LOL They love it when I fry it up and then make gravy out of the drippins! I don't do beets though! Gives me flashbacks of those purple things back in school that would discolor anything they came into contact with! LOL

Tonight I made meatballs and then made a gravy from the drippins in the frying pan. Right now those babies are simmering in that gravy - also have mashed potatoes, speckled butter beans, cornbread, and sweet tea. Now I jsut have to figure out something "green"! LOL Probably a side salad.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I have fixed cube steak twice in the last week and a half! LOL They love it when I fry it up and then make gravy out of the drippins! I don't do beets though! Gives me flashbacks of those purple things back in school that would discolor anything they came into contact with! LOL

Tonight I made meatballs and then made a gravy from the drippins in the frying pan. Right now those babies are simmering in that gravy - also have mashed potatoes, speckled butter beans, cornbread, and sweet tea. Now I jsut have to figure out something "green"! LOL Probably a side salad.
I do love fresh or fresh frozen green fordhook limas with cube steaks and mashed taters. I take the beets too especially if pickled whole...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
My fav is the small green little butterbeans! Love em! But DH likes the large dried white looking limas. But he does like those frozen speckled butterbeans - and I do too so it is a good compromise!

BTW Noma - Exactly how high DID the pizza get??? Hmmmm????

Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:

BTW Noma - Exactly how high DID the pizza get??? Hmmmm????
Just a tad under $15

Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I did get out to the butcher shop and got some really nice porterhouse steaks.....(I never had porterhouse....I usually get sirloin and have done the rib eye....but I dont like them very much....they had a less expensive cut of steak I had never heard of called "hanger steak" it looked really nice....has anyone had experience with it?

Elston, I think you treat a hanger steak sort of like a flank steak - marinate it and quick cook it. A tougher more flavorful cut. (my personal preference)

Quote:
Dinner tonight will be something with hamburger meat. Can't decide what just yet!
I was going to suggest meatballs and you already made them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The longer it takes the wife to get here the higher I'm piling stuff on that pizza....at least one more item per half hour delay.

You go, Noma. Hope it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I think we are just going to have nice fresh spinach salads with lots of veggies and some fake crab. I hurt my back when I was back home (I think from jogging) and finally went to the doctor about it yesterday. I am on anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer meds.......and pretty tired from it all.

Sounds very healthy and tasty. I hope you feel better. Try to relax and enjoy the relaxer.. I know Dr. Chong will be with me on this one...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Tunafish Sandwich with Chips and Potato Salad

Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Yum Yum Chicken -

Cashews, Mangos, Pineapples, Fiji Apples, crispy chicken, red and green bell peppers...

Had it at a Thai/Vietnamese joint tonight.... 'twas Yum Yum

Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Jaxson, edamame, as you now know, means baby soybeans. I first had them served in the pod (which is inedible) and coated with coarse salt, and that's still my favorite way.
Thanks for the description we eat them in bean soup or we roast the beans to snack on. They have a nutty smoky flavor also.

cyn it is a bummer when we take care to grow something and Mother Nature thinks otherwise of our efforts. Sorry to hear about DH's computer hope he can save some if it.

Kelsie yes indeed let's wish you a happy bday even if I am a day behind.

George thanks for sharing that with us. You are just going to have to take you a buggy buddy when you go shopping from now on.

skbs tell DH we are supporting him from a far also you are correct in saying he needs to learning it himself. Weight will not be a problem I hear one day in heaven won't that be awesome? Cute pic of Tink!

MTH happy belated bday to you as well glad you liked your new grill.

Debsi I think we all don't like change in us but if others say you look good then receive & believe it girl!

turtlemom hope you feel better soon.

I Am Woman your quick tortillas sounded great.

kshe your red beans & rice had me drooling too.

yankeegirl I can't wait until our local sweet corn gets ready too we will pig out on it for sure the first few days.

Nomad you amaze me about how much ingredients got piled onto our pizza.

HG hope your back gets better soon that is nothing to put off being checked out. Just don't overdo take it easy to let it gain back strength.

Holy smokes ya all were chatty Cathys when I don't check in for a couple of days. Welcome to the newbies this is a friendly sharing group here for sure.

We had pork tenderloin, green beans, carrots and slaw for supper tonight. Trying to get caught up on threads again but I think I am just going to have to forgo all back reading in the others. Enjoy the summer even though we aren't having summer like weather we are enjoying the days, busy doing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink