Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
What is the coolest kitchen gadget you have? Any size, any kind. (It can be a top-of-the-line mixer or a whisk you got from your grandmother)

What gadget do you intend to purchase soon?

I love all my kitchen goodies...
wow, there are so many: I am one of these that will not buy something until I am sure I will use it to its fullest. I think the silly, little gadget I love the most is the citrus juicer I got from Wal Mart a couple of years ago. It is that yellow one and costs about $5 or $6.

I love my rice cooker which I actually took from my parents house after my dad died and my step mom went into assisted living. It is probably 15 or more years old by now, cause dad has been gone 12 years.

Larger small appliances I love: my electric griddle and over sized food processor. I use the food processor for canning. On my Christmas list this year is a 4 to 6 cup processor, one that I can use more often.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My Keurig, the blender, and the toaster oven. I was not much of a coffee drinker until we bought the Keurig. It is so easy and there are so many flavors that I drink several cups a day. Our toaster oven and blender get used almost every day.
oh, I forgot about the toaster oven. We use it all the time for cassaroles, baing potatoes, even roasting veggies plus, of course toasting bread and heating sandwhches.

NIta

Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,138,758 times
First on my list would be my Kitchen-aid heavy duty mixer...
I don't allow anyone but "moi" to use it!!!

then there is the toaster oven, bread machine,blender/food processor
Oh, and we can't forget the microwave...great for cooking veggies without a lot of water...
or melting butter, reheating leftovers,or making hot chocolate.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,998 times
my keurig coffee maker is my favorite!!!!
I would die without it. LOL :-)

Old 11-27-2011, 05:39 PM

250 posts, read 379,865 times
Two cast iron fry pans. Don't know how I got along without them.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,053,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I got a 5.5 quart Le Crueset French oven for my birthday a few years ago. I love it. I don't know how I lived without it.

I love all of my Le Creuset cookware, which I have been collecting over the years.

Other than that, one thing I cannot live without anymore is the Vinturi wine aerator, which we received as gift one Christmas. Love, love, love that thing. Can't imagine how I lived without it before. Technology has ruined my simple life.

My next purchase would be Le Creuset pâté terrine, since husband has been talking on and off about his grandmother's homemade pâté, and once, when not receiving a reply from me, he casually asked, "Have you ever made pâté?" (Duh. If I have, anytime during our marriage, would you not know about it?)

I guess I should start researching for a good pâté recipe.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-27-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,123,345 times
I was thinking about the things I use pretty much every day. The mundane, often overlooked things.

A good knife is key. I have a 1970s 6" Japanese chef's knife that really fits my hand. And a couple of cheeeeap paring knives. Pretty much all I need (plus a sharpening stone).

Kitchen shears. Multiple plastic cutting boards. My mortar and pestle. My French press for coffee in the morning. My immersion blender for soups.

Other than that, I do love a cute apron. Oh and side towels. I have stacks and stacks of white cotton bar-mops. I go through at least half a dozen every time I cook.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
My Silpat mats are pretty high on my list right now during baking season.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,053,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My Silpat mats are pretty high on my list right now during baking season.
That's my husband's favourite kitchen item.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,733,999 times
Probably my most used tool in the kitchen is a 1920's wire whip. It has at least 3x the wires of a normal wire whip and it's fabulous. A few of the wires are getting pretty thin now and I know that when it goes, I'm going to be heartbroken. I have searched everywhere I can think of and can't find another one that is anywhere near the fantastic whip this one is. So sad!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink