Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:46 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times

Advertisements

Agree. When I moved down in 1978 I thought I had mastered high finance by renting a studio apt where the monthly rent equaled one week of salary (at that time, I made $175 a week, so the rent was $175 a month). Got a great deal in Lauderhill--the building had recently been renovated and the city was experiencing "white flight" so good bargains there. Times have changed--so have I; now in north-central Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 04:44 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Agree. When I moved down in 1978 I thought I had mastered high finance by renting a studio apt where the monthly rent equaled one week of salary (at that time, I made $175 a week, so the rent was $175 a month). Got a great deal in Lauderhill--the building had recently been renovated and the city was experiencing "white flight" so good bargains there. Times have changed--so have I; now in north-central Florida.
That was one of the best things about Ft. Lauderdale back in the day. If you knew what you were doing, you could get by and have a nice life without a whole lot of money. Those of us who came on vacation and decided to stay went through that interesting transition from tourist to local, and those who went before us were a big help in finding out where the deals were to be found.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:26 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
That was one of the best things about Ft. Lauderdale back in the day. If you knew what you were doing, you could get by and have a nice life without a whole lot of money. Those of us who came on vacation and decided to stay went through that interesting transition from tourist to local, and those who went before us were a big help in finding out where the deals were to be found.
Exactly. A bunch of us were hired after college & a classmate who grew up in the area alerted me to the deal. She & her new husband rented in the apts. across the street. Yes, you could have paid more being by the beach, but perhaps times were different then--if you could find a good deal, you'd grab it and use your savings for partying (at least this was when I was younger!). So many people my age were in the same situation & we all went to the clubs & bars together -- the movies, the beach -- just great innocent times.

It doesn't happen often but when I am in the Lauderhill area I make it a point to drive by my old complex. Sadly, it hasn't aged well. Such is the misfortune of some areas of Broward.

And some areas emerged out of nothing to become Crown Jewels -- yes, I'm looking at you Weston. If you had told me when we bought our home back in 1996 that it would appreciate faster than my inlaws comparable home in Coral Springs I would have laughed at you -- Coral Springs was the "it" city at the time.

Weston owes a big part of its existence to the death of County Commissioner Anne Kolb--a big environmentalist, she fought & fought against building on what was essentially a part of the Everglades. When she died, no one had been groomed to continue the fight. And so, eventually, emerged Weston.

For the longest time when I owned, and later bought, in Pine Island Ridge, you would be greeted by a most beautiful view upon driving in--rows and rows of orange trees and the sweet smell of orange blossoms. Oh well, such is progress--we paved paradise & put up a Publix and a movie theater.

I remember cows and cow pastures by the Broward Mall. I think that area is The Fountains shopping center. All not so long ago--so much change in 20/30 years.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,392 times
it was a great time...such great memories!! As they say, "those were the days" !!!

Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 PM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
My parents up and left jobs/put their house on the market and moved to Florida in the winter of 1975. No jobs and about $3000 in the bank. Rented a apartment in a quadplex in Lauderdale Lakes: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1739...7i13312!8i6656

Both landed jobs at banks, bought a brand new 4/2 house in 1977 for $44,000 and sold it 8 years later for 107K. They were "living the Flariduh dream".......

Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
My parents up and left jobs/put their house on the market and moved to Florida in the winter of 1975. No jobs and about $3000 in the bank. Rented a apartment in a quadplex in Lauderdale Lakes: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1739...7i13312!8i6656

Both landed jobs at banks, bought a brand new 4/2 house in 1977 for $44,000 and sold it 8 years later for 107K. They were "living the Flariduh dream".......
Yes, but did they appreciate TED?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,631 times
I remember a place called Bachelors III on Federal highway I believe it was owned by Joe Namath ?

Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
I remember a place called Bachelors III on Federal highway I believe it was owned by Joe Namath ?
https://www.ganggreennation.com/2014...-bachelors-iii

It's unclear how much Namath was actually involved in the Ft. Lauderdale location, though.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,168 times
If you actually remember the 80's in Ft Lauderdale.........you weren't there

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM

40 posts, read 36,414 times
Default Bikers in the 80s

My friend and I moved to Broward from WNY. We left on New Years Day 1982. We chose south Florida for 2 reasons. There were jobs there in the early 80s and one could ride a motorcycle year round! We put his Harley Sportster and my Triumph Bonneville, and everything else we owned, in my beat up, rusted, small 4-cylinder, NO spare tire, Mazda pick-up truck.

Good Lord was Spring break fun on a bike. I remember a great biker hang-out spot (excellent for meeting girls) was the 7-11 a block off A1A near the Swimming Hall of Fame pool. There were also a good number of Biker bars around town. Probably the roughest was that bar on 84 just east of I-95. Another was off Andrews between Commercial and Oakland. Girl's unmentionables hanging everywhere in the bar.

Our favorite hang-out was a bar called Just One More. A 4am joint off Sample a couple blocks west of I-95. Boy, were those days fun! Party and ride all night and all one needed to work the next morning was a good breakfast at The Clock in Margate or Mr.Dees on Sample.

Picture this- a bar full of routy fun loving bikers having a good time drinking, shooting pool, chasing girls, bench racing, etc.....then somebody yells, "Tunnel blast!!!". A mad rush to the door, helmets going on, Harleys and Triumphs and some *** bikes coming alive with a roar, mostly straight pipes back in those days, and still a lot of kick start machines. Guzzling down that last swig and without the Parade like precision of an organized run we'd tear out of the parking lot and head to the interstate.

I-95 south towards Ft. Lauderdale . 15 or 20 or more. Half-lit, girls hanging off the back, speeding, no lane discipline, little fear of the police (Oh, the foolish days of youth!!!). Get off and head east on Sunrise or Broward. Now US-1 (Federal Hwy) towards the tunnel under the New River. Two or Three in the morning, little or no traffic, hit it full throttle into the tunnel.

Jeez, you should have heard it. Loud like you can't imagine! All those bikes! We'd hit 70 or 80 mph. We'd get to the other side, pull over in some parking lot. Laugh loudly and slap each other on the back, say, "Wow, what a blast!" a hundred times. Crack open and share a few saddle bag stashed beers then remount, turn around and do it again.

Dangerous? stupid? foolish? risking life long consequences?......fun? Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

It wasn't all fern bars, backgammon and the beach in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area