Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:58 AM

917 posts, read 2,618,810 times

Advertisements

I just got back from the newer Cape Coral Lowe's. Most of my other observations have been made during the week. Today is Saturday and I was there around 11:00, so I got to see the Homeowner turnout. There was only one cashier at the return desk. No line. (which is very unusual on a weekend) No lines at the other registers either. We are dealing with very hot weather right now. I know I wouldn't start any outdoor projects if I could put them off for a few more weeks.

Kev, are those regional sales figures readily avaiable to the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 AM

76 posts, read 228,253 times
Well...personally, I'm starting to see some of the snowbirds come back.

Both Friday and Saturday night, I met friends for dinner at Wine and Roses in Cape Coral, and the place was very busy both nights.

As usual, we sat at the bar to bull**** with Danny, the bartender, and he told us that there has been a huge increase in business lately, and that he's seeing alot of faces he hasn't seen in a few months coming back from up North.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I just got back from the newer Cape Coral Lowe's. Most of my other observations have been made during the week. Today is Saturday and I was there around 11:00, so I got to see the Homeowner turnout. There was only one cashier at the return desk. No line. (which is very unusual on a weekend) No lines at the other registers either. We are dealing with very hot weather right now. I know I wouldn't start any outdoor projects if I could put them off for a few more weeks.

Kev, are those regional sales figures readily avaiable to the public?
yes, we are in earnings reporting season pretty much this upcoming week for most companies. analysts cover their conference calls (which anyone can listen to).

Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,742,364 times
Working up near the Franklin lock up river on Saturday, there was some decent activity on the river there. But not many stopping in at the marina for fuel or goodies.

I was on Sanibel yesterday. Speaking with one of my clients there, she remarked how the streets, and shops on the island were empty, and the place looks like a ghost town. Very few of the people she knows has returned as of yet.

On the other hand, the beach at the lighthouse was packed, despite the abnormally hot weather. Perhaps this bodes well for the touristy type businesses. But the businesses that rely on services to the 'winter resident' are still out in the cold for a while it seems.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,288,360 times
I am just back north after spending a couple of weeks down there. I heard that parts of the Paseo inventory have been sold out with a recent surge in sales and that they are now booking sales for future construction, and that there is a waiting list for seasonal rentals. Two Meatballs (Daniels near 75 - the current dining hot spot) was very busy when we were there mid-week. Some of the businesses I talked to reported year over year sales up over summer, but scary-down in September.

My thinking on all this is that the financial stress has led to less foreign travel, so more Americans travelling by car to florida in the summer with the kids before school starts up, but then a drop off in European traffic in September.

From my side I can say that the wave of public sector boomer retirements is really starting to happen. With the Canadian dollar closing in on par this week, conditions are ideal for strong wave of house/condo buying.

One of the limitations I see for this is that Florida is a bit off the radar as Canadian boomers are more in the habit of taking very inexpensive all inclusive vacations to Cuba and Mexico, which also have the benefit of reliable beach weather in February, well, at least Mexico does, however, these locations are not at all ideal for retired snowbirding, for many reasons.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,879,512 times
Click here: Spring break - Nolan Webster break - Spring Cancun Mexico
Beore anyone goes to Mexico....you might want to check this out.
Scores of Americans and Canadians murdered and framed while on vacation.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,241,619 times
Folks.. please keep the discussion about the topic and not about national political figures. If you wish to discuss the President or previous President then take it to the appropriate PO&C. They would love to hear from you

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 AM

I read many realtor blogs and one thing I found very consistent is that 40% of their buyers are canadians, so it's on some of their radars. Snowbirds shouldn't be too far off as I woke up to snow this morning. It's only suppose to accumulate 3" but could be a friendly reminder that winter starts early up north.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1013090726.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	50858

Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 PM

Default september airport traffic

looks like a good improvement over last year , hopefully translates to local $$$
Southwest Florida International Airport reports September traffic - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze

Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
In the past seven days my husband has made $140. Better than September but still... Not that he was rolling in it in October, either, but this is getting bad. And I won't make a thing for months. Ugh.

Once again, this is Knoxville, TN. Not Florida. I don't want anyone to be misled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area