Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM

32 posts, read 88,887 times

Advertisements

The Sky is Falling!!!!!

Gloom and doom rule SW florida. All I really want is one creative idea and a hopeful future. If we can't fix it , lets learn to enjoy it. After all we are blessed enough to live in the land of beautiful sunsets and great fishing. There are parts of this economy that SUCK, buy if we don't brush away the crapola we'll never see what can spring up from the compost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,866,047 times
The sky can't be falling, ask the people in the religion forum lol :X

Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,353,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
The sky can't be falling, ask the people in the religion forum lol :X
I don't know. Some of that crew is perpetually in The End Times. I guess it depends on who you talk to. My mother is convinced the world is going to end any second now. She's been saying that for 75 years.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 34,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerBoyle View Post
Ain't nothing wrong with that, baby.

The days of easy money in this country are over. Maybe for good.

The only way anyone's gonna make it these days is if they roll up their sleeves and get into the trenches.

Thanks, Dubya. Wherever you are.....
Well said.....................
I am one of those who had to "roll his sleeves" up....... and wow, those trenches are hot this time of year......you can survive it if you are willing to adapt.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:59 PM

376 posts, read 911,864 times
We will have a lower standard of living for decades to come.... no doubt about it.

As far as politics, there is plenty of blame to be shared by BOTH sides of the aisle.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,934,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
We will have a lower standard of living for decades to come.... no doubt about it.

As far as politics, there is plenty of blame to be shared by BOTH sides of the aisle.
Well, yes! That is a true statement! Why do they always get re-elected? What does that say about us taxpayers/voters?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,740,721 times
Please, keep the political stuff to the P&OC forum.......where I'll be glad to join in and tell you why ALL of you are wrong

I'd like to keep this thread to observations, statistical, OR anecdotal as to how the "season" is shaping up around SW Florida.

For the locals, much rides on this season..............

Old 10-10-2009, 04:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,618,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Please, keep the political stuff to the P&OC forum.......where I'll be glad to join in and tell you why ALL of you are wrong

I'd like to keep this thread to observations, statistical, OR anecdotal as to how the "season" is shaping up around SW Florida.

For the locals, much rides on this season..............
I've said this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here to try to get the thread back on track.

I frequent some of the local Home Depot and Lowe's a lot. Right now I see a lot of employees standing around trying to look busy. Normally they would be restocking or something, when they're not helping a customer. These people are literally just standing around so far. You can't walk from one end of the store to the other with out being approached three or four times by employees asking if you need help. The Punta Gorda HD has always been less busier than Cape Coral or Port Charlotte, but right now it seems really dead. I know this doesn't really say much, just an observation.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I've said this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here to try to get the thread back on track.

I frequent some of the local Home Depot and Lowe's a lot. Right now I see a lot of employees standing around trying to look busy. Normally they would be restocking or something, when they're not helping a customer. These people are literally just standing around so far. You can't walk from one end of the store to the other with out being approached three or four times by employees asking if you need help. The Punta Gorda HD has always been less busier than Cape Coral or Port Charlotte, but right now it seems really dead. I know this doesn't really say much, just an observation.

Actually tommy this does say much. One of my premises has always been that new homeowners typically spend three times the amount of an existing homeowner. This is usually because they do some small projects like tear up carpets, paint, get appliances, furniture. And they realize they don't have hammers, drills, and tape measures. So following home depot and lowes sales figures is one of my biggest indicators of the economy coming back. The most breakdown I can usually find is regional numbers, so your observations on the ground in the local stores is very valuable. If you notice any changes please let us know.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,353,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Actually tommy this does say much. One of my premises has always been that new homeowners typically spend three times the amount of an existing homeowner. This is usually because they do some small projects like tear up carpets, paint, get appliances, furniture. And they realize they don't have hammers, drills, and tape measures. So following home depot and lowes sales figures is one of my biggest indicators of the economy coming back. The most breakdown I can usually find is regional numbers, so your observations on the ground in the local stores is very valuable. If you notice any changes please let us know.
That's true and it was true in our case. We spent a LOT when we first bought our house. We even bought a washer and dryer.

Our Lowe's hired a bunch of kids for the summer. I was just in there last Saturday and it was busy. Not like the boom, but busy.

Knoxville was one of the last places to get hit. They didn't have much of a boom, either. Last Christmas was very busy. You had to wait a long time to get in a restaurant. But come January everything tanked. Even when school shopping it was not as busy as the previous year. There were still lines, but not as big of a crowd.

Since October 1, my husband has worked nine days out of 10. He's made about half the money that he usually makes, which means people are not getting the big jobs done.

Last week I was in Walmart (blah) and there were hardly any cashiers and they looked bored. VERY bad sign.

So, mixed results so far, over here.

Oh, I will also see the snowbirds. I live right off of I-75. I must love that highway.

In fact, one year my husband came along side a RV. He looked over and it was one of his old customers from Fort Myers! They were waving and honking their horns at each other! How cool is that?

So I'll tell you when they are coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area