Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 PM

12 posts, read 51,534 times

Advertisements

Are these gas wells and/or rigs in Parker and Wise Counties? I'm very interested in Weatherford, Aledo, and some parts of Wise County but would like more information regarding these wells/rigs such as: How close are they allowed to be in regards to a home? Are they restricted from any towns or areas? Does owning a certain amount of land help to prevent one from being too close to a home? If you do not own the "mineral rights" on your property, does that mean you could actually wake up one day with a gas well being constructed on your land? What I'm really wanting to know is if it is possible to avoid being near one of these? I was told that they are only kept in place for a short amount of time but I still wouldn't want one near my home. This will really help me to decide on what areas to look in, or if I should concentrate more on the Dallas side like Royse City where I was told this is not an issue...Thanks, always grateful for your comments and information..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Are these gas wells and/or rigs in Parker and Wise Counties?
Yes, they are in both counties and many others including Tarrant County (Ft Worth is county seat)

I'm very interested in Weatherford, Aledo, and some parts of Wise County but would like more information regarding these wells/rigs such as: How close are they allowed to be in regards to a home?
Each city and county has different zoning laws that will dictate this. If you find a piece of property that you are interested in then contact the city and county and inquire.

Are they restricted from any towns or areas?
Some but not all. Some school districts, cities and even DFW Intl Airport are finding this is a great resource of income.

Does owning a certain amount of land help to prevent one from being too close to a home?
Yes but also check w/ the city for setbacks if you find a smaller property that you like. If the setbacks are pretty good you can still find something on a smaller parcel that will not have a building next door built on or too near the property line. Being in a city limits will help here or in an area w/ deed restricitons that state such. On the news recently they showed a neighborhood that now has a rig set up right behind their homes.

If you do not own the "mineral rights" on your property, does that mean you could actually wake up one day with a gas well being constructed on your land?
Possibly. If the owner of the mineral rights wants the survey done then you have to allow it. There is an interesting story about this in the most current issue of Texas Montly inside the back cover. It does not go into detail but rather tells about the exploration being done on their large ranch.

What I'm really wanting to know is if it is possible to avoid being near one of these?
On that side of the metroplex, maybe but then maybe not. Depends on if there is gas underground and the city zoning laws.

or if I should concentrate more on the Dallas side like Royse City where I was told this is not an issue...your comments and information..
True, they are not on the eastern side of the metroplex as the Barnett Shale is pretty much thru the western part.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
if you buy land without buying the mineral rights--you can't prevent someone from drilling on your land to get to their mineral rights--the size of the property, the location, the city's or countr's restrictions, TX mineral law, the type of well being drilled---all are factors in where a rig can be placed and a well established---
If you are considering buying property that includes acerage or just a home site in a development, you need some expert advice---
there are going to be wells drilled at DFW airport in the future and any place that an oil/gas co thinks it can make money--the cities are leasing their rights because they want the royalties---and some subdivisions and larger landholders like the DFW airport board as well....

A person with land/mineral rights can be force pooled in TX which means you have to go along with the majority of people in the pool whether you want to or not--legally can't get out of it---TX has always been favorable to the oil/gas interests since the beginning of oil development--don't think it will change any time soon....
What concerns me very much and most people don't see that aware even is the amount of water needed very day to drill one of these very deep wells going in around the Fort Worth area and surrounding counties--Barnett Shale wells are directional drilling and require thousands of gallons of water a day---we are in terrible drought here and don't have water to waste --- I think the cities should make the drilling companies pay a very stiff premium for their water use and make them reclaim it to reuse--it can be done--will make the drillings costs higher than they are but maybe it would also cut down on number of wells being drilled....

Regarding going east of metroplex--you need to consider carefully where you buy--from what I have seen east of Dallas is much more variable in quality of development and does not seem to have the same resale/upscale value---and there is no guarantee that in 2 years someone will not discover a marketable oil/gas zone there---Barnett Shale zone only became feasible prospect in last 5 years--before then, no one cared if they owned mineral rights or not because there was almost no drilling of new wells....

Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM

121 posts, read 814,406 times
The odds are against a rig being particularly close to you for a couple of reasons. First, the Barnett Shale is a big area, and your property would be a small area, so chances aren't that great that they'd show up to drill right next to your house. Secondly, even if you don't own the mineral rights, the oil company still has to reach a reasonable agreement with you for using "your" surface, and since a rig requires a fair amount of room, it's easier (and cheaper) to put it in an open spot, not in your driveway.

I'm not entirely certain why people are so upset about nearby rigs. I know the two most commonly noted concerns are safety and appearances. Blowouts are EXCEPTIONALLY rare, you're more likely to be killed in a car wreck, tornado or probably even by being struck by a meteor. As for appearances, rigs are usually only in place for three weeks or so.

I guess my point is that you don't have to be afraid of gas rigs when choosing where to live, the oil company is going to drastically disrupt your life even IF they drilled near you, and there are many other things that are far more important to consider when buying property than whether or not an oil rig might show up close by sometime.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 AM

48 posts, read 291,645 times
momof2dfw pretty well covered it. My son in law works on gas rigs. Pay is good, works is hard and dangerous. Accidents are rare, but do happen. I wouldn't want one in my backyard unless I owned the mineral rights. Even then maybe not.
They are a 24/7 operation. They are loud , dusty and dangerous, unless it rains, then they are loud muddy and dangerous.
The good news? Most of the rigs my son in law has been on, hit in 21 days. Some are as long as three months. After they cap the well head and clean up, what's left is not too bad actually.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
DFF

26 posts, read 195,471 times
It is not unusual for property buyers to be surprised by mineral recovery activity they did not anticipate. The quiet rural setting you bought can become quite different when drilling or pipelines encroach.

The larger and more permanent concern is compressor stations and to a lesser extent the "eye candy" of well heads. See what happened in Mansfield. If you think that won't effect your property value ... call me.

Note that initially, wells are and will be quite widely spaced. However, to recover a large percentage of the gas takes a well spacing of about 20 acres based on current technology. Several wells can be drilled from a single drilling site (probably up to 6 or 8) but MANY well sites will be required and mineral rights supersede surface rights.

In this area, we will have to get used to it. Another well site every half mile or so will likely be needed to fully extract the gas and oil in Tarrant or Parker or other western counties. Rigs only are in place for a little while but rework rigs and pipelines are long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth