Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 PM

15 posts, read 53,468 times

Advertisements

This is a great place with a lot of helpful posts. After tons of reading I still feel confused about our move and need local people help me to make the decision on where to live.

Here is our situation:

We are moving to Fort Worth this summer because of my husband’s job transfer;
His office will be next door to Alliance airport;
I have a 7th grader and a 1st grader;
I will be looking for a job in IT software area.

We are looking for:

Short commute for husband ( < 20-30 minutes);
Great schools – academically;
Closer to my future employer
House price <400K with 4 bedrooms, better under 300K (the property tax will kill us)
Close to lots of community activities like kids rec sports.

We like South Lake, but it is too expensive.

We are very interested in Keller. Is there anywhere I can find the information on Keller High what top colleges its graduates got into in the past? Has it established a good reputation with top schools by consistently sending good students? How is its lady’s basketball team? I have a player in my house.

Some people also suggested Trophy Club because it is so close to Alliance. People also said it is much convenient than Keller since it has highway access. We had a short visit of the area over a weekend. I like Trophy Club. It has a closed community and I like that kids may be able to ride bike to schools. but from the map it seems pretty far away from the city. Also I read people warned it is hard to get out of the community during rush hours. I also concern the new high school may not have built up its reputation with top colleges (NWISD only had 1 national semi finalist on National Merit Schoolship).

Now my questions:

Keller or Trophy Club, or any other suggestion?
Which city’s houses will appreciate more, likely?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
I'd have to say Keller's houses will appreciate faster. Keller was ranked the 7th best city to live in, in the United States. Trophy club is very nice too though... but it doesn't have as wide a selection of houses as Keller has. Also, there is always the Heritage area, which has some very nice houses-- but they are building there so I wouldn't consider it unless you plan to be in your home for at least 5 years.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Where is Heritage, in Keller? When people talking about the neighborhood names, I don't have a map to reference to. Is there a place I can check neighborhood map online? I do plan to live in the new place for at least 5 years.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I will PM you a great MLS web site for checking homes listed--by neighborhood-- and there is great map feature so you can get a bird's eye-view of the house/lot as well as regular street map but don't know of any link with maps of all neighborhoods in Tarrant county
many developments have web sites that show their general area however

Keller west of 377 is FTW--not Keller city limits--just Keller ISD
taxes are different and frankly I think the home value is different to be in FTW city limits vs Keller
but posters have good things to say about some of the neighborhoods that way...

the hs in FTW with the longest national merit list is Paschal HS in FTW ISD--many of the NMS students come from outside Paschal's catchment because they got an inner-district transfer--available on first-come, first-up basis (if you don't have siblings there)...although Paschal has only an Acceptable rating from TEA--it has basically a school within a school effect with the AP students achieving great success...

Nolan Catholic school also had increase in its NMS this past year

think you can search on the Dallas thread for National merit and get a post with all local (dallas and tarrant sides) schools' numbers...

the strong IT corridor is really in Richardson and Plano which is not going to do you any good since it is across the metroplex--but there are companies in Tarrant county who hire people in your niche

Sue Canon at Trinity HS in HEB ISD is one of the winning-est coaches around but lately her teams have not done so well--
check out the FTW paper--there is list of the teams ranked by their district

Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 PM

I am a newbie in this forum - how to check my PM?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 33,677 times
Keller is your best bet from a resale and school district point of view. There are various subdivision communities in the Heritage area which have access to a great community pool, clubhouse etc.
If you would like more information please let me know.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 33,677 times
There are several homes in Heritage under $300,000 with your criteria, some within walking distance to the Amenities Center and community pool.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementtexas View Post
Keller is your best bet from a resale and school district point of view. There are various subdivision communities in the Heritage area which have access to a great community pool, clubhouse etc.
If you would like more information please let me know.
Likes Loves2read stated, keep in mind that Heritage is not in the city of Keller. Heritage is in Fort Worth but with Keller Independent Schools. It is a nice area and will be a nice commute for your husband.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM

38 posts, read 109,848 times
You are looking in the right direction! Keller or Trophy Club are great options.

I personally prefer Trophy Club to Keller, unless you choose to live on the North West border of Keller. There are lots of new homes, etc. Trophy Club is a great community and as far as school comparison, Keller and TC will be neck and neck. You cannot base the new Byron Nelson school on NWISD. NWISD is actually where I went to school and it has the largest square mile radius from which it pulls its students. This makes a HUGE difference. I'll be honest and say that although many rural towns, like Haslet are growing fast, the students that primarily were higher ranked came from east of 35W (Trophy Club and Roanoke).
The new schools athletic programs will probably not fair so well this year because its the first year and their are only sophomores. I played basketball as well in high school, granted it was nearly 10 years ago, but again, nearly ALL athletes in the girls program were from Trophy club. The demographic has changed at NWISD quite a bit in the last ten years, and you will see a huge difference in the splitting of the schools.
Anyway, Keller has some great neighborhoods, but to me, its really difficult to get in and out of. It's kind of like a huge donut and it doesn't really have a central town. If you love southlake, which we LOVE but cannot afford, it is literally a 10 minute or less drive to the square with fun shopping and places to eat. This is not nearly as convenient in Keller as it is majorly congested. I actually live in Roanoke, right across the highway from Trophy Club where my parents live.

Also, in regards to your husbands commute, Trophy Club would be much easier with access to 114.

When you are referring to the city, do you mean Fort Worth? I will be totally honest with you and say that if you move to Keller or TC, you will hardly ever go to the "city" unless someone has a job there. The great thing about both Keller and TC and southlake and all these little towns is that we are right in the middle of Dallas and FW. It's a good 30-35 minute drive to FW as well as Dallas. You would be closer to FW if you move to North Keller right off of 35W, but if you liked southlake, I'd love into town a little closer and use southlake and grapevine as your place to shop and eat, etc.

Just my 2 cents! (or 10 )

Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM

38 posts, read 109,848 times
Oh, there is also a community called Briarwyk that is actually located in Roanoke (off of 114 and 377). They are in your price range and part of the new Byron Nelson HS. Beautiful custom homes ...

I dont think that resale of your home is much different in TC or Keller, especially with the new school in TC. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth