Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times

Advertisements

We have a great bar/restaurant in my area that sits"on the beach". They have live music every night and day and night over the weekend. Great place to be.. But for the same $27 that I would spend on 2 drinks each for my wife and myself(not including tip) I can go to the store and buy a bottle of premixed margarita and a bottle of wine for my wife which last well more than one weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Watches just are not one of my 'things.'
Oh, I get that they can be fashionable and cute...but what about a watch could possibly make it worth $100.00.

I ask because Today's Special Value on QVC was an Isaac Mizrahi watch printed bezel ceramic watch.

Lord knows we all have our splurges, and there are things I've paid more for that i EVER would have imagined.
But as of this writing anyway, I can't imagine paying $100 for a watch. (And that's CHEAP in some circles for a time piece)

I don't wear a watch but if I did all I'd need it to do was tell time and be cute. And you can get that for LESS that 25 bucks let alone 100.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Watches just are not one of my 'things.'
Oh, I get that they can be fashionable and cute...but what about a watch could possibly make it worth $100.00.

I ask because Today's Special Value on QVC was an Isaac Mizrahi watch printed bezel ceramic watch.

Lord knows we all have our splurges, and there are things I've paid more for that i EVER would have imagined.
But as of this writing anyway, I can't imagine paying $100 for a watch. (And that's CHEAP in some circles for a time piece)

I don't wear a watch but if I did all I'd need it to do was tell time and be cute. And you can get that for LESS that 25 bucks let alone 100.
i have always worn watches up until about a few months ago...and i own expensive watches, close to 1000$. its much easier to just use my cell phone for time, as i carry that around with me everywhere i go. i also got rid of my alarm clock and just use the one on my cell phone. no need for old pieces of electronics laying around

Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
I willl not and have never paid $700 for a vacuum, my current cleaner was $42, We have wood floors so it doesn't get used very often.
I have an upper limit for eating out and even more so for cocktails.
I'm not keen on 'modern' fiberboard furniture, firstly its mostly made in China and it doesn't last. I buy select pieces from the local re-store and thrift stores. I recently bought a sofa for $80, it looked a bit shabby the slip cover wasn't the cleanest but the cushions were feather filled and I liked it, when I got it home I took the cover off thinking I may have to make a new one and found the label. Turns out the sofa is made in England by a company called George Smith, the same sofa currently retails for $11,000. An amount I find obscene BUT ... for $80 .. oh yes !!!!!

Things I will pay for: shoes, upgraded airline tickets and good quality organic/locally produced food.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
My friend paid over $1000 for a vacuum -- a Riccar I think. I went with her and just sat across the room at the sew-and-vac store in amazement. It was a learning experience I'll say that.

Her kids have allergies, they have a dog, and she swears by the cleaning power of that vacuum. She says it gets more dirt, and she can clean faster. She wouldn't even THINK of getting a big box store vacuum.

(Me: I hardly ever vacuum, and I'm on year 18 of a $60 Hoover from Walmart. I've had it in the shop once. 60 bucks 18 years ago would be, what? about $75 in today's dollars maybe)

Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I willl not and have never paid $700 for a vacuum, my current cleaner was $42, We have wood floors so it doesn't get used very often
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
My friend paid over $1000 for a vacuum -- a Riccar I think. I went with her and just sat across the room at the sew-and-vac store in amazement. It was a learning experience I'll say that.

Her kids have allergies, they have a dog, and she swears by the cleaning power of that vacuum. She says it gets more dirt, and she can clean faster. She wouldn't even THINK of getting a big box store vacuum.

(Me: I hardly ever vacuum, and I'm on year 18 of a $60 Hoover from Walmart. I've had it in the shop once. 60 bucks 18 years ago would be, what? about $75 in today's dollars maybe)
Being a janitor, I vacuum. A lot -- every day. We spend about 700 bucks for a vacuum and they are WELL worth it. A cheaper vac does good enough, but it won't do it for four hours a day. And cheaper vacs lack power.

One year after Christmas I had the ultimate vacuum test. One of my residents dutifully wrapped her dead tree in an old sheet to take downstairs... and her trip back up she discovered the line of dead pine needles from her unit to the elevator.

She apologized profusely for causing me extra work, and said she'd clean it up. I told her it didn't matter -- I was cleaning her floor that day anyway. She said -- okay -- let's meet in the middle.

So she started at her door with her Hoover Windtunnel and I started at my end with my Sebo. I vacuumed down one hallway and back and THEN started tackling the needles. I heard her at her door. I rounded the corner and headed towards her -- still rolling that thing over and over at her door.

I was basically walking with the vacuum in front of me.

She was stunned, and stopped. I stopped, too. She walked behind me to see if there were needles there -- they were gone. We talked about how my vacuum really has a lot of power, and I turned it on again, and went over the needles at a slower speed that usual, but not stopping and waiting, and the area came back clean.

Her vacuum wasn't capable of picking up pine needles -- it flung them all over the place. Needles are heavier than regular dust. I went over to around her door and what she did in the twenty minutes over there was hardly a dent in the line, and I picked up the rest in seconds.

Here's the question we need to ask for any appliance. I need my appliance to do this. Appl. A does this, and that. Appl. B does this, and that and that, with lots more power. Does it make sense to buy a way more appliance than you need and pay way more for it, OR buy one that does what you need, and buy it cheaper?

I'm facing this right now. I've been looking for a new bottom freezer fridge. And pretty much all of them have ice makers and water spouts -- but we hardly use ice. And our old old kitchen isn't plumbed for a fridge with an icemaker. I can still buy one and not hook it up.... but what's the point?

Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Any examples of high prices that shock you -- and you've seen people pay them? And you think no way in the world you'd pay that.

This is prompted by a commercial for Dyson vacuum cleaner -- for 700.00. (which was being promoted and a cleanliness/health purchase because of pet hair, dander, dirt.)

And I'm thinking:
-- can a vacuum cleaner POSSIBLY be worth $700?
-- am I a filthy slob because I'd never pay that
-- my low price range vacuum is 15 years old, OMG what's in MY carpet that Im' breathing in?

Other examples which a good friend has bought:
-- 1,000 Burberry handbag
-- $100 Gucci flip-flops
-- $600 Dooney and Bourke and Coach bags
-- $175 small bandana-type Burberry neck scarf

TO BE FAIR: we all have our times and areas when we splurge -- these are just her splurges. She also shops for bargains at TJ Maxx/Ross. Gap, Old Navy etc. THOSE are bargains for her. She wouldn't get caught dead in a thrift shop or buying clothes in Walmart. She shops for bargains on travel packages, home items, uses a gas card for discounts, etc.

((you know I'm too addicted to this 'frugal' issue when I see spending or a commercial and all I think is "is that FRUGAL?"))

Would you pay $700 for a vacuum cleaner?

When you hear what you think is a ridiculous price, do you do the math and think I could buy SEVEN vacuum cleaners that would last me the rest of my life for that price....or "X" number of "whatever item" for less than than and have it last just as long?....

Other prices (I just can't afford to pay)
-- there's a high-end mattress company that sells $33,000 hand made mattresses
-- $6,000 sheet sets
-- $200.00 face cream....

Who knew....I never HEARD of prices and items like these....not my world, but it must be nice.....(or is it stupid to buy stuff like that even if you CAN afford it.)

And to think I was shocked $3,000 Bose home stereo, and $5,000 TVs
$1600 a month for a place to live...seriously crazy, get roommates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living