Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM

109 posts, read 207,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Food/drinks at sporting events. I have no idea why someone would pay $9 for a beer or $6 for a dinky little hotdog, but there are lines, lines, lines at just about every concession stand both before the game and during half time. If you saw these kind of prices in a menu at a restaurant you'd walk out, but people gladly pay it at a sporting event... why? You really couldn't wait to eat for 3-4 hours?
Even worse at a movie, that is at most two and a half hours long, where you will be sitting in a climate controlled room.

Eat/drink before the movie!

And don't give me the BS about "the experience" of (whatever food/drink product) while you watch... most people finish their food/drink within the first 20 minutes of the movie... half of it consumed during previews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
I don't tie my limits to a price...it's value. I paid $500 for my Kenmore Canister Vac after a lot of research, and I am very happy I did. It remains to be seen if it lasts long enough, but as far as performance, it's far better than the $200 vacs I've owned in the past. The dyson is too expensive, given you can get similar performance for less money, but they are good vacuums.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Northface fleece jackets, my kids want these and I'm not paying $150 for a jacket, that I can buy for $40, that has the same warmth and similar design minus the logo, which I think is ugly stamped right on your chest anyway.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Northface fleece jackets, my kids want these and I'm not paying $150 for a jacket, that I can buy for $40, that has the same warmth and similar design minus the logo, which I think is ugly stamped right on your chest anyway.
depending on what you're use is....there's not many jackets that match the warmth/quality of a brand like northface. this is another example of an item i'd pay for (though buy it on sale...they always go on sale). my northface windbreak winter jacket ripped, and they replaced it for free. lifetime guarantees are nice.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
You really couldn't wait to eat for 3-4 hours?
Maybe some people simply do not want to wait. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
1) My friend who only buys LV, Celine, Booney and Bourke, level handbags (who recently bought one bag she won't even TELL me how much she paid, and we've been friend for 20 years!)...who also has NO tact...told me my 40.00 hand bag (from BJ's) was "cheap."

2) I do think people (maybe some more than others) notice a fair amount people and things -- good or bad. We notice nice smiles -- just like we notice bad teeth, we notice someone with presence who's fashionably put together, we notice run down scruffy dirty shoes, or a hole in someone's sock.

I do notice things about people -- handbags shoes, watches, personal appearance -- even luggage. But I notice because something about it caught my eye...it 'looked' new, or shiny, or different in some way. Not because it was expensive of high end designer -- but because it was 'eye-catching' in some way. I've seen some inexpensive bags that were 'eye-catching'...but I do admit --- LOTS of high-end designer handbags do fall into the 'noticeable' category.

This same friend I.... noticed her new washer/dryer (both shiny new front-loaders) some brand name profile or monogram line -- in dark burgundy red. Now did I notice because it was NEW, higher end than I would buy, or was it just the color and I would have noticed ANY shiny new appliance in that color, regardless of price.

3) For most things I try to get them as inexpensively or cheaply as I can for what I want.
I don't buy something I don't like just because it costs less. I buy for a "LOOK" how much I'm willing to PAY for that ...depends. But $500 vacs, $3,000 refrigerators, $1,000 handbags all waaay above my affordability range.

For my new complete furnace/AC system I got the highest cost unit the company offered. (What can I say? The salesman said it was the best unit, best energy efficiency, convenience features, yada, yada,yada)

However when-and-if I replace my washer and dryer...I'll likely get units one step up from the least expensive. (I didn't need my W/D to be too complicated for me, with 10 settings, electronics, special detergent requirements etc. Just give me a basic workhorse..best quality for the price level I'm willing to pay.)

As an aside...have you all seen want some refrigerators cost? ThousandS! And people are buying them

As for vacuums....I have a 16 year old Hoover that I bought for under 100 bucks at Walmart, repaired ONCE. It still works. Now If you do a clean test against all these other high end vacuums people have posted about (Dyson was the only one I'd HEARD of until this thread), my vac would probably lose. But it gets up what I need to to. I don't need the suction of a 700.00 vacuum.

4) I WILL spend money on a good meal. I buy organic when I can, and I eat well....sushi, salmon, shrimp, produce. I won't skimp on food costs -- groceries or eating out.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
$300 and even more for a watch that is no more accurate than a $10 Timex. High price wine I can't tell from the regular brands like Gallo.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 AM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Those fruity little shots of pre-packaged coffee that go in that new type machine.....all the rage with Urban Hipsters and Yuppies. Not sure what it is called....kruppo....spresso......frappayoh....some yuppyish name?????
LOL a Keurig? I actually have one, though I agree the K-Cups are a rip off. I bought the attachment that allows you to use your own coffee for only $14. There is no way I, as a single person, could drink a whole batch of brewed coffee, so the Keurig is totally worth the cost to me. I use it almost everyday. My roommate has an espresso machine, not sure of the brand but it doesn't look very expensive to me (it is made of black plastic, not stainless like the high-end ones). She drinks a ton of espresso, but I don't think her machine has an attachment to use your own espresso. That must get so expensive....

As for vacuum cleaners, I was able to take my late grandma's vacuum to Arizona with me. We shipped a bunch of her kitchen utensils out to Arizona once she passed and the vacuum came along. It's an old Hoover and built like a tank. As long as I can find a vacuum repair shop, I will keep it. There is one up the street from me now but I fear it may close soon, the man who owns and runs it is very old, plus the way appliances are built today people tend to throw them away and get new ones, instead of repairing them.

This is the exact one I have:

Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 PM

89 posts, read 156,668 times
I refuse to buy cigarettes in NYC, simply because they are fourteen dollars a pack. I don't know who in their right mind would pay that much, when you can go across the river to NJ and pay seven dollars. It's actually helped me quit smoking.

And I also refuse to pay more than a dollar for a bottle of water. No way anybody is going to charge me four bucks for a tiny bottle of water at a concert.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
For a single cup of coffee I just use a Melitta. Mine is china, not plastic. You set it on top of your coffee up with a cone shaped filter in it, add coffee, and pour boiling water through. Is this unusual or something? I would never waste money on those pre-filled Keurig? things. What a waste of money and not good for the environment either.

The Melitta, I can make another cup of coffee if I decide to and all I do is rinse the filter out and repeat. For several cups of coffee I use the regular coffee maker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living