Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM

297 posts, read 726,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding. Are you saying Would you buy a commercial grade vacuum or lock set for just home use.

Actually I have a 1938 Kirby vacuum I bought at a 2nd hand store for $5. Still runs great! But if I could not find a "quality" vacuum used, then I would buy a commercial grade.

And I did buy a commercial grade lockset for my house 12 years ago. Still works like new - no "play" in it. (I've seen many new home locksets only last a few years and have a lot of "play" in them.)

I also have commercial grade electrical outlets. $2.50 each instead of 50 cents each. No "wiggling" to get the plug to work!

And I buy "business" computer keyboards. These are designed to be typed on all day.

I also got fed up with new phones - cheap stuff coming out of China. I went shopping and found some old AT&T Western Electric desk phones for $1 or $2 each. Those work properly and work forever.

So you can sometimes find used "quality" things for not too much.

Next on my list is a commercial (restaurant) deep fryer. The temperature numbers on the cheap 2 year old China kind I have now washed off when cleaning. And the cord stopped working (I fixed that). I'm not wasting any more money on Chinese junk if I can help it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
I pay more for things that will be worth the expense. I buy $40 flipflops. I am WELL aware that I can get them for a dollar a pair at Old Navy. At Old Navy, for as often as I wear flip flops I buy an average of 5 pair a year. Thats 3 dollars a year for uncomfortable plastic flip flops. It would take 8 years to spend the 40 I spent on my flipflops. But my flipflops have a lifetime guarantee. So IF anything ever happens to them, I send them back and they send me news. They are also canvas and if worn in salt water and left on to dry, they conform to your feet. So year I could pay $1 or I can pay $40. The $40 is worth it.

I also buy VS bras. They also come with a lifetime guarantee. So I spent $45 on a bra but it will last at least 5 years and then they will replace it. So some things are worth it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM

811 posts, read 810,044 times
More than $35 for a single meal per person

Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
I won't buy anything over a dollar at other stores that I know Dollar Tree carries for $1.00.

As far as vacuums, I've had a cheap-o $40 one that has lasted over a decade. I sure wouldn't waste $700.00 on one.

Appliances, cars, electronics, etc. are all bought off Craigslist at around %10 of the cost of new.

Same with "services" like handyman stuff I can't do.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
I'll hire a cleaning service before I pay $700 for a vacuum.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Talking about vacuum... I did get a $100 new vacuum b/c my 10 old $40 one died... and honestly, I still have my "Neato" vacuum robot (gift from my company) which I use but rarely (the beeps gets me crazy) since the quality of cleaning I'd put on par with both manual vacuum I own.

So no... I do not believe in a $700 vacuum... like prettygyrl said, I would hire a cleaning service before splurging on a $700 vacuum I have to "push" myself.

I do not buy any expensive sheet sets / bedding items... especially z have to "dryclean" ones... actually dry clean anything is a no-no for me. I wash my bedding too often & even have put holes in my 600 ct sheet set to have the desire to own anything too expensive that can only be "looked at" & not be "abused".

I cannot see myself splurging on foam mattress no matter what the sales pitch... I grew up sleeping on foam & know how little I can buy them for. So no TY!

I personally do not keep up with gadgets like a new 4g phone... but did get one for DH just b/c I got that for *free* via rebate, a pretty expensive one too. If it is free... I'd say why not.

Dunno... at this age in life, I suppose I do not need most things... so nothing is really even worth splurging on in my books except for food.
I like food too much to not splurge on it.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
There are a few things I would pay a lot of $$$$ to have for example I would buy a $700.00 Dyson, I've always wanted one. As well if we ever own our own property I would love to buy a good quality solid wood dinning room set, something that would last for ages.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Some folks have too much $$$. These high end manufacturers are sitting back with a fat cigar laughing as miss prissy shells out $1000. For a purse that costs $1.87 to make. I always said it, I could have a billion dollars and I'd still be wearing my 3 years old Vans I got on sale for $22.00 . IT'S ALL STATUS.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Like anything one chooses to purchase, it all comes down to the value one feels they receive for the money spent. Sometimes more expensive products can have more value than cheaper ones (clothes, furniture, etc.). Sometimes that "value" can be tangible - the more expensive product may be more durable or of demonstrably higher quality. Sometimes that value may only be perceived - but that's ok too.

At the end of the day, if a person feels like they got a good value for the money they spent then...its all good. Who cares what other people think

For example, I would never spend an exhorbitant amount on a car - when it comes to personal transportation, inexpensive, efficient and reliable is the way I go (and I have been driving the same car for about 7 years and will probably keep driving it for another 5-7, unless it becomes a money pit). On the flip side, if I go to buy a new suit, I am going to spend a good chunk of change on a quality, well-tailored suit and not a cheap, polyester, off-the-rack outfiy from Wal-Mart. But that is just me - other people have different opinions on value when it comes to things like that, which is quite ok.

Threads like this always make me chuckle because some people like to get so judgemental about how others spend their money. Truth is: those people who adamantly refuse to buy something because of the "name brand" (and belittle people who do buy such products) are just as silly and opinionated as those who would never consider not buying a name brand and look down on people who buy cheap stuff.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
i'm usually pretty cheap, but i've got to have my $18 eyeliner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living