Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times

Advertisements

Some defensive people on this thread. I really couldn't care less what some of you do with your money, or what my friends do with their money, simply making observations. I'm speaking for MYSELF when I discuss what constitutes a waste of money, and while I enjoy traveling, what I don't enjoy is certain types of vacations which just aren't my thing. I'm not criticizing anyone elses choices. It's amazing to see how easy it is to ruffle feathers on forums without even trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
$15,000 for a Birkin bag. My car cost less than that.

$1000 for a sundae at Serendipity 3.

$1000 for a caviar pizza.
My car cost less than the sundae or the pizza. Heck, my last two cars and my motorhome combined cost less than the sundae or the pizza.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Some defensive people on this thread. I really couldn't care less what some of you do with your money, or what my friends do with their money, simply making observations. I'm speaking for MYSELF when I discuss what constitutes a waste of money, and while I enjoy traveling, what I don't enjoy is certain types of vacations which just aren't my thing. I'm not criticizing anyone elses choices. It's amazing to see how easy it is to ruffle feathers on forums without even trying.
No feathers were ruffled. It's interesting how we get subjective when discussing money.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-07-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Man, I am feeling really out of it today.

I do not even recognize half of the brands mentioned here.

What's a Jimmy Choo?

And isn't a Marmot a furry little animal?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
No feathers ruffled here. Like I said previously - different people have different priorities and preferences. Which is all good. I certainly don't criticize your choices for how to vacation (or not) - although I'm in the middle of planning one, so I do kind of have vacations on the brain.

What ruffles my feathers, is not people like yourself who talk about your personal spending habits, frugality, etc., but rather those people who get on a soapbox and start telling other people about how they should / should not be handling their finances. There is a world of difference between saying, "I think it is waste of money..." and "It is a waste of money..."

Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
$29 for a usb cable "kit".

Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And I'm thinking:
-- can a vacuum cleaner POSSIBLY be worth $700?
Would you pay $700 for a vacuum cleaner?
I love my Dyson, and NO it did NOT cost me $700! I bought mine 2nd hand a few years back for just under $200. And it was well worth it. I burned up two Rainbows, a Kirby and a Princess! (The long hair kills them!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I also buy VS bras. They also come with a lifetime guarantee. So I spent $45 on a bra but it will last at least 5 years and then they will replace it. So some things are worth it.
I only wish VS did that. They throw a FIT if you try and return one using the guarentee around here, not to mention they stopped carrying my size, and refuse to re-stock it. So I go with Macy's or Dillard's on super sale for bras. 32DD or 32DDD are hard to find sizes, so when I find them for $10 or less, I snatch them up!

Quote:
Paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket to a single sporting event. A friend of mine will think nothing of spending hundreds (even thousands) to sit in the front row of major sporting events, yet he will break out his tip calculator at restaurants. I refuse to throw away that sort of money for sporting events.
People like that drive me crazy! What is so hard about splitting a bill into tenths, then doubling it?! If I can't afford 20%, then I don't eat out, simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Man, I am feeling really out of it today.

I do not even recognize half of the brands mentioned here.

What's a Jimmy Choo?

And isn't a Marmot a furry little animal?
Jimmy Choo is a high end designer shoe company. They also make other stuff but most well known for women's shoes.

JIMMYCHOO.COM| Iconic Luxury Lifestyle Brand | The Official Jimmy Choo Website

Marmot is an outdoor clothing company. A bit pricey, but high quality!

The Official Site | Marmot Clothing and Equipment

Old 03-16-2012, 06:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Right now I work at Target and most of our stuff is reasonably priced, but there are several things that I have rung up that makes me double take the price. Some of which have been:

-"organic" sheets for $65
-small little mosaic table lamps for $45
-and anything that was previously on a really good sale, then goes back to full price.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I asked MYSELF this question in the health food grocery store today. It's a small-medium sized chain with lots of organic items. Not Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

I paid 4.50 for a dozen cage free, organic eggs.....YET, I balked at paying 1.69 for a gallon of water.
I've been paying about 4.50 for a dozen cage-free organic eggs for a while now, at most any organic/health food store.

But something about 1.69 for a gallon of spring water -- shocked the s*#t out of me. I took my happy self to Walmart and paid .88 per gallon.

Yet I know there are people who think I'm already crazy for paying 4.50 for a dozen eggs. So why not pay 1.69 for the water? I don't know WHY I feel differently about one than the other. Because you'd think it's about the same kind of purchase. But I just couldn't do it.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I paid $600 for a Dyson Animal vacuum back in 2008. My cat is a complete fur ball and runs the house so it's been worth every penny I've paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living