Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I also would never spend thousands of dollars on a washer and dryer set. Those fancy ones in fancy colors with all kind of bells and whistles that cost more than some of the cars I have had are ridiculous. No one is ever going to use much more than Warm/Cold temperature, and High/Low water levels 90% of the time. I don't even have the High Efficiency, just a very basic newer set, and yet my power and water costs are very low. What do people think, that someone is going to come into your house and say "Ohhh, I just love your washer and dryer set!"?

People think other people are paying a lot more attention to them then they really are.
And sometimes people simply buy more expensive products because they feel that they are getting a good value out of them (kind of like Isabella20 stated above about her vaccuum) not because they think other people are watching them.

Although using the "keeping up with the Joneses" excuse to dismiss those who do spend more money on certian products is quite common in these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Oh I have stories I could tell about insane (to most) amounts of money I've spent on something specific but heres the thing...I am very frugal and I'm a minimalist and I don't want much, but what I DO WANT is usually very good quality and is something that I'm happy to have and own. And I'm not talking THOUSANDS of dollars, just more for something than most would spend because I'm being particular about it. I don't buy stuff just to have it, you know what I mean? I'm not saying I pay retail price without looking for bargains but if I want it I want it. Ironically it's usually not the "latest and greatest" things I want, it's something odd or unusual or even an older version of a current item. I can be very particular about things sometimes and don't always want the modern bells and whistles.

Quote:
People think other people are paying a lot more attention to them then they really are
Sometimes maybe. But for me it's just a personal challenge to find something that makes me happy and isn't something I just settle for because it's cheap. Take vacuums for example; I got a refurbished Dyson on the cheap from Woot 7 years ago that has served me well but recently picked up a used Sebo for 1/4 the cost of a new one just because I was so impressed with it's design and functionality I HAD TO HAVE IT . I'm glad to see other people like them because I'd never heard of them until actually saw one earlier this year. I've read stories about people who actually paid thousands, and had to finance and make payments, for their Kirby vacuums which are totally impractical IMO so I know I'm not totally over the top with my machines. My daughter seems to buy a new vac at Target every couple years so I assume they are either poor quality or she just kills them.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-28-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 PM

23 posts, read 44,043 times
I won't buy new appliances or things for the house unless the item it will be replacing is broken. Like someone said earlier who's gonna say "oooh nice washer and dryer." I also wouldn't pay $1000 for any appliance or piece of furniture. I've had the same $200 hoover vacuum for 6.5 years and it still works well w/2 furbabies. I spend the least amount I can for a mid quality item, whether that be shopping around or buying used.

Food and disposable goods, I don't mind store brand. Usually we only get name brand if I have a coupon or it's on sale. I have made entire holiday feasts with store brand ingredients and only got compliments.

Clothes, I don't spend more than $20 for a top and no more than $50 for jeans. I only buy a few things maybe twice a year, I bet I spend $200 all year. I'm always the same size plus I go garage sale shopping once or twice a year & am always surprised at how many clothes people have because I only need a few outfits for each occasion. I would not spend more than $10 each on a makeup item, that is what neutrogena costs.

Splurge items: I buy one coach handbag a year, that's the only bag I buy all year though. I buy one iPhone every 2 years when I can upgrade and I will buy the newest model. I will spend more on nice scrubs for work because the good ones keep looking new for longer. I buy Honda vehicles w/ all options because I like driving. I get my hair done every 6-8 weeks, get massages every 2 months. I will buy one pair of $100 nikes a yr.

I guess everybody values different goods and services differently and it is interesting to me to see that on this post.
My husband won't buy new clothes unless I buy them for him!! So guess what he gets at christmas lol. We did get him a $300 pair of work boots but they are guaranteed to last like 10 years.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I doubt very much you brushing the cars hair on her underside. While your getting all the loose hair when you brush her back, your doing nothing for her stomach or backside of her legs.
I do brush her tummy lightly, and her chest. She's funny about her legs, so no -- those I don't mess with. But still -- big clods of white hair on the black carpet. It's funny really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But for me it's just a personal challenge to find something that makes me happy and isn't something I just settle for because it's cheap. Take vacuums for example; I got a refurbished Dyson on the cheap from Woot 7 years ago that has served me well but recently picked up a used Sebo for 1/4 the cost of a new one just because I was so impressed with it's design and functionality I HAD TO HAVE IT . I'm glad to see other people like them because I'd never heard of them until actually saw one earlier this year. I've read stories about people who actually paid thousands, and had to finance and make payments, for their Kirby vacuums which are totally impractical IMO so I know I'm not totally over the top with my machines. My daughter seems to buy a new vac at Target every couple years so I assume they are either poor quality or she just kills them.
I got stopped in the hallway a few weeks ago by a Rainbow salesman. He actually tried to talk me into buying a Rainbow for vacuuming the hallways in the complex I clean. Not only are Rainbows wildly expensive (says the woman with the 700 dollar vacuum) but they are water based canisters.

As I stood there with my mouth hanging open because I was stunned that A) he's talking to the help, who pretty much every one else assumes just pushes the vacuum... and B) he just walked around the whole building trying to find the unit and should understnad that it's a heckuva long way to pull a heavy water filled canister vac and C) I ain't no spring chicken anymore.

When I finally got a grip again, I thanked him and laughed that there was no way I was dragging that 1/4 of a mile a day. I don't think he ever realized what a total idiot he looked like.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,246 times
I would never buy a luxury clothing item. I will never understand the value in some of the high end handbags, for the prices paid it would need to have a tv inside. Paying for quality is one thing, I got burned on that once when I bought a pair of Kenneth Cole Unlisted dress shoes for $20 that only lasted a few months, but there is a line you cross you are just paying for the name. I'm always confused about the Luis Vuitton bags I see, in LA that pattern is a dime a dozen, it would seem that the extreme number of bags out there would be conflicting with the exclusivity of the luxury price.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
\
Vacations are often overrated to me as well. Spending thousands of dollars to fly to some touristy, overcrowded theme park or resort for a week or so is a waste of money. The aggravation that comes with air travel, crowds, sleeping in strange beds, eating at mediocre restaurants, and paying nearly double for everything detracts from the experience. Then you get home you are drained and need a mini-vacation to recover from the vacation you just spent thousands on with nothing to show for it.
Agree. Which is why we only go to exclusive, quiet places and try to fly first class whenever possible.
Sure, we only go once a year for a week, but it's a hell of a week.

I honestly DO NOT understand why people keep upgrading their phones every five seconds.
I had my last phone for almost 6 years.
I finally upgraded because of the network last winter, and I know people who got their iphone 4S AFTER I got my Sony and they are already getting the iphone5. Really? WTF?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM

42 posts, read 49,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
I'm always confused about the Luis Vuitton bags I see, in LA that pattern is a dime a dozen, it would seem that the extreme number of bags out there would be conflicting with the exclusivity of the luxury price.
I heard that a majority of the Louis Vuitton logo bags out in the wild are fake. There are definitely some genuine ones out there. And some people who do not make much money save up for a real one. But apparently there are quite a few fakes out there. It's probably the number one fake bag out there.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Purchase for quality. Cheap products can cost you more in the long run.

Not much of a brand name person myself, but I can see what lasts and works well.
Sometimes that works out well, but other times not so much.

Expensive purses wear out just as quickly as cheap ones in my experience---although they look better until they do. And I have bought several expensive clothing items that proved to be rather fragile or belts or purses that outright broke. I have also bought expensive stereo equipment that failed exactly after the one-year warranty and cheaper equipment that I still use.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Anything "Organic" that is marked up to 2 times the price of "normal" chemical-laden food.

Those fruity little shots of pre-packaged coffee that go in that new type machine.....all the rage with Urban Hipsters and Yuppies. Not sure what it is called....kruppo....spresso......frappayoh....some yuppyish name?????

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Food/drinks at sporting events. I have no idea why someone would pay $9 for a beer or $6 for a dinky little hotdog, but there are lines, lines, lines at just about every concession stand both before the game and during half time. If you saw these kind of prices in a menu at a restaurant you'd walk out, but people gladly pay it at a sporting event... why? You really couldn't wait to eat for 3-4 hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living