Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM

39 posts, read 52,122 times

Advertisements

went to the site on the right side are adds for antennas.I found on that looks like a good possibility a decent price and even a remote. I checked the ratings and great reviews. I am on vacation right now at my daughters in NC but when I get home we are going to order it. The worst that could happen is no reception and the antenna has a 60 day money back and a 2 year warrenty. I am also looking at a magic jack plus to get rid of the phone bill. @20 a year If anyone has info on that I would be glad for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksarah View Post
I am also looking at a magic jack plus to get rid of the phone bill. @20 a year If anyone has info on that I would be glad for feedback.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...liability.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...k-yay-nay.html

Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Have any of you had to replace your digital TV converter box, and how much did you pay for your new box?

It appears as if my Apex DT250 is done; it also happens to get extremely warm when it operates, and I'm wondering if that might be why it failed, since I've only been using it for 4-5 months after a relative who purchased it but never used it gave it to me.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 AM

39 posts, read 52,122 times
The best thing to do is to contact the manufacturer. My TVs are fairly new and I do not need a set box.I do not know if the government is still offering coupons for those are not. I know at one time you could get 2 per family.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Have any of you had to replace your digital TV converter box, and how much did you pay for your new box?

It appears as if my Apex DT250 is done; it also happens to get extremely warm when it operates, and I'm wondering if that might be why it failed, since I've only been using it for 4-5 months after a relative who purchased it but never used it gave it to me.

Thanks!
Search the Craigslist electronics section for the word "converter", and you might find a decent used one.

People who've recently replaced their old CRT sets with new LCD sets sometimes have them for sale. Sometimes in almost new condition.

In a store like Best Buy or Radio Shack, expect to pay around $30 - $60. Or you can find an online store and order one.

I've been using a Zenith converter for two years, and it still works fine. I have all LCD tvs now, but still need to use the converter to record programs with my old VCR.

These converters aren't all alike. I've tried 3 different brands, and some are slower at changing stations, and not all offer the same type of online TV guide. Some TV guides show more information than others.

My converter does get a little warm when it is on, so apparently that is normal for converters. I also keep it in a well ventilated area.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Wonderful answer---thank you!!

How the heck did I not think about Radio Shack??? (slaps self on forehead).

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
you might wanna try the solid signal website. you can enter your zip code and it should pull up a list of atennas that are good for your area. and you can get them converter boxes just about anywhere aswell

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 AM

207 posts, read 445,441 times
just wanted to add...I heard the converter boxes run hot and not to keep them on unless you need it at the time. we've had ours for a year with no problems but I always shut it off when not using it

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Get a good digital antenna...well worth the cost..I got a square one when I cut the cable....I think it was 45 dollars
from amazon...great picture.....

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I have a converter box as well as a cheap pair of rabbit ears, which are on top of my TV and only about 3-4 feet from the nearest window.

My problem is that some of the LA TV stations which should come in rather easily don't from time to time, which means I have to run a scan to reprogram them into the converter box, and miss around 5-7 minutes of programming.

i also get a lot of choppy video from several TV stations, and having to move the antenna constantly to stop the TV images from freezing is also really aggravating.

Should I buy a more expensive antenna, and what did you folks who also ditched your cable or satellite TV wind up spending on your antenna?

Thanks!
Hi Marv101--

I ditched my cable six months ago and got a $10 pair of bunny ears from Wal-Mart. I live in the middle of downtown so I have no problem picking up all the local stations (ABC, CBS, etc.). I don't miss the cable at all. I was shelling out $50 a month for a thousand channels I never watched; all I really watched out of the lot was SportsCenter. Football season's coming up, and guess what, I can pick it up on local TV for free. All the big hits, highlights, etc. I can get on the internet, anyway.

Speaking of internet, I'm particularly proud of the rate I'm paying for internet and unlimited nationwide land-line phone: $29 a month.

So I figure I've saved about $300 from cancelling the cable. Also, the added side-effect of there being less to do around the house, so I'm actually motivated to get outside and do something. Beats vegging out on the couch all day, putting on weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living