Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 04:04 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The preschooler in the house would die without cable. I already cancelled Netflix.
He/she will survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 04:06 PM

920 posts, read 932,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You do understand this is illegal right? If someone is caught doing this they can go to jail.
She said it is better than burning trash, that's all. And I agree

Old 11-26-2015, 04:11 PM

The lady I am with 18 hrs per week has cable. She goes to bed early so I am left watching it.

We do not have cable and are not missing much.

We stream movies from Primewire, TV Muse, Documentary Heaven, Top Documentaries, Icefilms and Youtube. If both were free, I'd choose to stream over choosing Direct TV.

Also look into an OOMA regarding your phone bill. Should reduce it to under $10 a month and i hear you can keep your phone number

Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
The lady I am with 18 hrs per week has cable. She goes to bed early so I am left watching it.

We stream movies from Primewire, TV Muse, Documentary Heaven, Top Documentaries, Icefilms and Youtube. If both were free, I'd choose to stream over choosing Direct TV.

Also look into an OOMA regarding your phone bill. Should reduce it to under $10 a month and i hear you can keep your phone number
Rainierland is good too.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Rainierland is good too.
Thank you! I am getting tired of my usual websites

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 11-26-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'd agree that maybe you need to increase your income. Long term, you need more education or a skilled trade. Short term, is there something you could do like rent out a room or get a roommate, house sit, Keep someone's dog for them at your house while they are on vacation.
I have flunked out of college a few times. I am too old, too busy and lack the ambition for school work. Income has to come from a skill. I do office work like accounting and purchasing.

I have been looking for a roommate to rent a room for awhile. I have to be careful with the kids. I can't just let anyone move in. I do pet sit for friends and family but do not get paid. I tried advertising for paid sitting and got no responses.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:

We do not even have a house phone.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
In the least it ought to be the other way around.... cancel cable and use Netflix. Most the stuff on cable is garbage that can rob you of your productivity if you're not careful.

Don't burn trash. Find another way to dispose of it.... even if it's trespassing and using a dumpster of a business or multi-housing complex.. it's still a better, safer, choice than burning it. Many items are made with chemicals that are toxic and cause cancer (dioxins) and you don't want that put into the air near that preschooler.
Quote:
She said it is better than burning trash, that's all. And I agree

The highlighted above is exactly what she said which is NOT saying "it's better than burning", what it
IS saying is that it is okay to break the law and steal services that other's pay for.

So you both think stealing from others is fine.....

Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
I have flunked out of college a few times. I am too old, too busy and lack the ambition for school work. Income has to come from a skill. I do office work like accounting and purchasing.
Chances are, you are probably a kinesthetic learner (learn by doing) rather than from lectures. There are programs out there for adults with that learning style, plus there are a number of resources at any good community college.

But you have to take that first step, and it's really scary. We are conditioned to be victims and to accept dumb jobs that pay nothing and be grateful for them. You can break out. Start with unplugging your TV and spending the time you would've been watching it reading to your children and researching better paying jobs that you can do. Then go knock on doors and find out what programs are in your area and what it takes to qualify for them. Baby steps. Do something each day for your future. You can change your life. You can manufacture some "good luck" through hard work.

But it's not easy.

Added: when you read to your children, you expand their learning opportunities, a lifelong gift! You also open pathways in your own mind. The act of reading, even a child's book, will improve your mind, a win-win for both of you!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:25 PM

409 posts, read 484,856 times
Quote:
We have a Roku. Very little is free, most needs monthly subscriptions to use. We live in a rural area so unfortunately, we only have one provider to choose from.

Cell phones are under contract until July. We have a well so do not pay for water. I do not water the law though. We do have sewage trucked out but it's a neighborhood wide expense that is split amongst every house.

I already keep the heat set on 65 degrees and we did not turn on the ax until mid July which was set on 78 degrees.

I already do not have clothes, shoes and toys built into the budget. We already eat 99.9% of our meals at home. We eat very cheap if we have to grab a bite out on the go.

Cable is the extent of our entertainment budget. We have no other entertainment.

I just lost 1/3 of my income and we were already in a tight budget. We need extreme savings at this point.
If you really need "extreme" savings, then cut the cable. We use Roku with Netflix and you can also watch TV shows on the computer. Preschoolers are usually happy watching the same things over and over, so if you had a few favorite videos you could also do that. You can check out videos at the library and there are probably more videos at thrift stores and garage sales for really cheap. Cable is usually pretty expensive per month compared to any of that. We are also out in the country and have an $8.00 bunny ears type antenna that I bought at Walmart years ago. With it we get two channels for free on our TV. You might want to try and see how many channels you can pick up with a cheap antenna.

Cook from scratch and don't buy processed foods. Drink water rather than soft drinks, juice, etc. You may already do these things, but there are many things you can do to lower your food cost.

Don't leave small appliances plugged in to save on energy. Every little bit helps. Check the Internet to find other ways to lower your energy cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living