Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Ours used to keep sales circulars at the cashier's station, but now they push the savings catcher.
I got 13 cents from my last visit. (of $80).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I got $.51 cents back from the latest receipt that I picked up off the ground.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Whats wrong with walmart?
my walmart competes on prices with the Aldi's down the street. We pay $1.04 for a gallon of milk, $1.99/lb of chicken, 43 cents for a dozen eggs, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with Walmart from a frugal perspective, people may have issues with the company, but I don't see how that's really relevant when discussing how to save money on groceries unless they can give us a place that is significantly cheaper.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:20 PM

6,760 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Wal-Mart pushes relentlessly for price cuts from suppliers. That's fine to a point, but one also has to understand when they are pushing beyond what's reasonable.

Two cases in point.

About 15 years ago I was in a Wal-Mart and bought some sneakers at an amazingly low price. I was paying 3x or more for mine, and assumed a lot of that was just paying for a "name brand". Within a couple of months my feet were causing me severe pains. I was ready to make an appointment for the podiatrist, when a friend asked about my shoes. It never would have occurred to me that nearly new shoes would be an issue. The support was completely gone in only 2-3 months. I immediately went out and bought an expensive pair of shoes which served me well for 5+ years. The cheap Wal-Mart shoes were not only a false economy, but also created a significant problem for me.

Second instance was a Wal-Mart oil change where the filter was not snugged up correctly. I noticed some drips on the garage floor, but I'd had some other work done plus it was an old car and I did not think much of a few drips on the floor. I just happened to do the next oil change myself; when I removed the filter it came off without the least bit of resistance. I was extremely fortunate to not lose all of my oil while driving on the freeway... and probably lose the engine at the same time.

So now I always have to ask myself what else are they skimping on? It's not worth it to me, quite honestly.

I suppose if one just wants a crappy tool for one time use it's okay. But in most circumstances I like to buy things that will last a long time.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I got $.51 cents back from the latest receipt that I picked up off the ground.
lol I need to start doing that. Using self-check out people leave their receipts all the time.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
my walmart competes on prices with the Aldi's down the street. We pay $1.04 for a gallon of milk, $1.99/lb of chicken, 43 cents for a dozen eggs, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with Walmart from a frugal perspective, people may have issues with the company, but I don't see how that's really relevant when discussing how to save money on groceries unless they can give us a place that is significantly cheaper.
That's very cool. Ours doesn't do that and as I mentioned the 'savings catcher' hardly catches anything anymore.

I only go because I am lazy. I will basically go to whatever store is closest unless they put in like a Whole Foods there. When it was Albertsons I went there and now it's Walmart neighborhood store so I still go. I do not choose it to save money.

When I am less lazy I go to Kroger with a wider selection, things on sale, a nice deli, etc. I think I'd save money shopping there regularly - buying more of things when they are on sale - doing that regularly means you never buy things that aren't on sale. While they are regular priced you have the extras at home.

But your is different - lucky-duck!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
When I shop at Walmart, I don't buy any meat or produce from there. I buy my produce from the ethnic markets, and meat from those and also from Costco. I watch the specials to see what's on sale every week, since I have a small freezer, and I like to stock up.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That's very cool. Ours doesn't do that and as I mentioned the 'savings catcher' hardly catches anything anymore.

I only go because I am lazy. I will basically go to whatever store is closest unless they put in like a Whole Foods there. When it was Albertsons I went there and now it's Walmart neighborhood store so I still go. I do not choose it to save money.

When I am less lazy I go to Kroger with a wider selection, things on sale, a nice deli, etc. I think I'd save money shopping there regularly - buying more of things when they are on sale - doing that regularly means you never buy things that aren't on sale. While they are regular priced you have the extras at home.

But your is different - lucky-duck!
Is Kroger cheaper? I remember when my wife worked at Publix, unless there was a BOGO Publix was always substantially more expensive. When you are living off of a grad school stipend and a full time Publix supervisors salary you aren't shopping much at Publix, lol. But they definitely have a bomb deli! If we were taking sandwiches to the beach we always went to Publix instead of Subway, Quiznos, Firehouse, etc.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 AM

I like their new thing regarding free shipping over $35. I've placed two orders in 3 days which will cut down on time spent in the store on non-perishable food items!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
........My parents boycott Walmart for their business ethics. [so do my in-laws]........
I was in Walmart yesterday because, apparently, that is the cheapest place to buy name brand synthetic motor oil and they have the best prices for boutique beer. The way I understand it is that you drink the beer after you do your own oil change, thus saving a ton of money over paying to have the oil changed by a mechanic.

Our cashier had to be (no exaggeration) over 80 years old. She was efficient and cheerful and a good worker. I was thinking, as I watched this deserving worker, that there isn't anther store in my area that would have given a job to an 80 year old woman, no matter how hard she works.

The greeter was a person in a wheel chair, also cheerful and doing her job.

I really can not condemn Walmart for their business ethics when they give jobs to so many people that other stores won't hire. I simply can not see that as an unethical business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living