Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 PM

284 posts, read 234,734 times

Advertisements

I have used Airbnb in the states, Mexico and Europe with no issues. Not sure where StealthRabbit has stayed, but he/she is all over the travel board with spewing hatred of hotels and airbnb. We like having room to spread out if staying somewhere for more than one night, and like having a kitchen, etc. We do NOT want to stay WITH people in their home, but if it's a separate part of the home with it's own entrance that's not a problem, I do like my privacy.

eta: the one we recently stayed at in Savannah also had bikes we could use free of charge. The owner was upstairs if we needed something, but generally stayed out of our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used Airbnb for Europe. Much less expensive than a hotel, plus they had the kitchen, as you pointed out. We purchased breakfast items to have in the morning without having to go out and buy breakfast at a cafe or restaurant. The other great advantage was that I got to stay in regular neighborhoods in Amsterdam, Paris, and London, not touristy areas. I enjoyed that. Some people might prefer to stay in the touristy spots. We walked to where we had to go in Amsterdam, took the Metro in Paris, and used the bus system in London, and we ate at least once in a neighborhood place where the locals go in each city.
I agree, airbnb provides a unique experience away from the overpriced tourist destinations and tourist traps.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:53 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie1969 View Post
I have used Airbnb in the states, Mexico and Europe with no issues. Not sure where StealthRabbit has stayed, but he/she is all over the travel board with spewing hatred of hotels and airbnb. We like having room to spread out if staying somewhere for more than one night, and like having a kitchen, etc. We do NOT want to stay WITH people in their home, but if it's a separate part of the home with it's own entrance that's not a problem, I do like my privacy.

eta: the one we recently stayed at in Savannah also had bikes we could use free of charge. The owner was upstairs if we needed something, but generally stayed out of our way.
I’ve used Airbnb a good bit too and never had an issue. I believe StealthRabbit stays with people in their home exhacbing very little if no money and bartering services for their time. While it works for him I’d take his reviews of everything else with a grain of salt

Old 05-15-2018, 02:36 PM

284 posts, read 234,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’ve used Airbnb a good bit too and never had an issue. I believe StealthRabbit stays with people in their home exhacbing very little if no money and bartering services for their time. While it works for him I’d take his reviews of everything else with a grain of salt
Right, I have ZERO interest in helping someone harvest beets in exchange for lodging, but that's just me!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie1969 View Post
Right, I have ZERO interest in helping someone harvest beets in exchange for lodging, but that's just me!
OK... whatever(?)
Note.. this is the Frugal forum, NOT the "my way is best forum" (plenty of those discussions on other forums)

Just offering options in the "spirit of reasonable options" to " Air B n B / Suite/ Motel?" (of which I have had a life of travel (20 hotels in last 30 days, sad but true (specific necessity in this country of HIGH control, but... do as the Romans unless you want to be caned)) 1,000's hotels in last 40 + yrs of service / traveling.

My travel (and life) is relationship based, and focused on service to others. so.. .we each have our vices. (too bad 'normal / traditional people have to take offense at others, but my life is not my own, I'm just passing through. (and purposed to care for others as possible)

I don't mind driving a $300k combine. or $100k trucks hauling grain, or whatever is required / desired. Harvesting beets, or shoveling manure is fine with me (if that is what the need is). But I have never been asked to do either. Worst was culling 20,000 dead rabbits. We had only booked a couple nights, but realized this family was in crisis due to a disease in their barn. We stayed (volunteered) a week and left with a lot of work accomplished, and hosts encouraged... We filled the their pantry with groceries we purchased for them cared for their children so parent could have a night away to rest... families have remained great friends for 30+ yrs, I would do the same for them tomorrow.

For me... all about relationships. (here, home, work, service, travel, vacations, on daily journey) so diss as you feel necessary. There are truly a lot of very impassioned and ill informed here and elsewhere. So just respond as you best are able (and able to live / sleep / die with), and however encourages and enables others to live an impassioned life.

Servas has been purposely building international relationships longer than most posters have been alive (as are many (100,000+ NGO hosts).

Air B&B is NOT about relationship building, as has been our experience. I don't condemn them or users / proprietors of such. Our many experiences with Air B&B have been 95% terrible. Referrals / scoring absolutely incorrect (and biased to hosts / the revenue generators for Air B&B)

YMMV, fine!

Do what you can live with. We all get ONE chance, consider those who gave you your opportunity. (daily)

Enjoy the journey, soon... poof, it's ALL gone, as are you. What remains? The $ and time you donated to Air B&B, hotels, economy, self.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
What is the difference between AirB&B and the old bed and breakfasts we used to stay in, in the UK? Is it just the same thing dressed up with a high tech name? I'm confused about that.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
I've only used AirB&B in Japan. Almost always cheaper to do so in Tokyo. Last time it was the difference between a 2LDK @ around 700-800 sq ft in Ikkebukuro and a hotel room around 144 sq ft with a twin bed in Akihabara.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times
I own and operate a Airbnb property. 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home near the beach. I don't live in the house. It can accommodate 8 people. I price it equivalent to what local hotels charge for one room, with the exception hotels only allow 4 in a room. You'd need 2 hotel rooms for what I charge for the whole house. I only operate it during the summer. It's fully equipped, beats sitting around in a hotel room IMO. It's rented all summer by mid April. Third year doing it, I've only had positive experiences with guests.

Last edited by skeddy; 05-16-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
What is the difference between AirB&B and the old bed and breakfasts we used to stay in, in the UK? Is it just the same thing dressed up with a high tech name? I'm confused about that.
Air B&B is an online opportunity for private people to participate (rent and book) +/-

Traditional B&B often fall under regulations and registration and business constraints (such as carrying adequate insurance to cover liability of booked (revenue) guests).

There are benefits to both systems.

Do your research and chose what best fits your particular needs for a specif trip / location.

For mid/long term rentals I prefer HomeAway, (more international exposure / owners) but... it got bought out and consolidated to become more like VRBO (high overhead).

Old 05-17-2018, 06:32 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I am not sure how the old B&B's worked in the UK personally, but I was under the impression that in that case you stayed in just a room as a guest in a house where people actually lived. While that can be the case with airbnb, more often you are renting an entire apartment or house for a short period.

In Amsterdam, it was a studio in a 3-family house. The owner lived in one unit, a permanent tenant in another, and he rented out the third as an airbnb.

In Paris, it was another studio. The owner lived there but went to stay with a friend while we occupied his place.

In London, it was a house with six bedrooms, some with private baths, some with a shared bath, and a shared kitchen, living room, and outside deck. A guy who was the owner's employee lived there. My dd and I were the only two guests, so we each had our own bathroom. London was the most expensive at $125 USD per night-for two beds, two baths, and the kitchen/living room/deck. Try getting a hotel for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living