Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

I firmly believe that cars are huge drain on any family resources so I use mine as little as possible riding a bicycle instead to satisfy my transportation needs in my small town. Were I to live where mass transit was available I wouldn't own a vehicle at all.

"Growing up as a teenager in the suburbs, I believed cars were a source of independence. Yet, over the years, I've come to see cars as a symptom of cultural sickness. In college, I decided to save money by not purchasing a car and found that I also escaped worries of shoveling the snow from around its tires, finding parking, and arguing with mechanics."

No Car, No Problem: The Benefits of Car-Free Living | Environment | AlterNet

Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
I'd love too but it would be impossible where I live. 2 mile walk to the train station, 5 mile walk from the station to work. That would take forever.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I firmly believe that cars are huge drain on any family resources so I use mine as little as possible riding a bicycle instead to satisfy my transportation needs in my small town. Were I to live where mass transit was available I wouldn't own a vehicle at all.

"Growing up as a teenager in the suburbs, I believed cars were a source of independence. Yet, over the years, I've come to see cars as a symptom of cultural sickness. In college, I decided to save money by not purchasing a car and found that I also escaped worries of shoveling the snow from around its tires, finding parking, and arguing with mechanics."

Best thing we ever did was adopting a car-lite lifestyle. We moved to a community that allows our family to get around by foot, bike, or public transportation most of the time. Our one older car is long paid off and cheap to register and insure. Fuel and maintenance bills are minimal because the car is so lightly used. If we hadn't done it, I don't know that I would have believed it was possible for a suburban family, but here we are doing just fine.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
I wish I could do this. I hate driving!!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'd love too but it would be impossible where I live. 2 mile walk to the train station, 5 mile walk from the station to work. That would take forever.
In reality the time to travel 2 miles , or 5 miles, on a bike is very short compared to walking. At times a bike is FASTER than a car over the same distance.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I wish I could do this. I hate driving!!
Don't settle for wishing. Figure ways to DO IT!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:

I am so frugal that my car cost me barely over ($30 or so) what it would cost to have a monthly bus pass. I am happy with the freedom my car gives me, so I say no thanks to a car free lifestyle.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
In reality the time to travel 2 miles , or 5 miles, on a bike is very short compared to walking. At times a bike is FASTER than a car over the same distance.
Wait a second. I work approximately 5-6 miles away. It takes me 12 minutes at most to get there. I would love to see you do that on a bicycle.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

Yours is the ideal situation, Tightwad. And in fact, since 93 percent of the population of this country lives in towns with a population of 50,000 or greater, it is infinitely doable for the majority.

Sadly, however, for the remaining 7 percent of us who live in a rural environment, not having a car at our disposal would be folly at best. I live 17 miles from the nearest grocery store and there is nothing resembling public transit available to me. I wish that it were different, but until our country decides that caring for the wellbeing of its citizens is more important than blowing up people from other countries in the name of "freedom", we are stuck with the system we have, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I live 20 miles from work with no transit available. Even if it was it would take me hours to get to work vs. the 25 mins it takes me now. I'll keep my car, it's worth more than the $40 or $50 I would save monthly going without it (and that assumes public transit is free which it's not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living