Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The cheapest way to be a coffee drinker is to drink instant coffee.
Just as the cheapest way to be a whiskey drinker is to scoop brown water from a ditch. Works for colas, too.

Quote:
What about people with financial problems who never drink coffee at all?
And Martians. What about Martians who either drink or don't drink coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:31 PM

495 posts, read 327,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yech! You just triggered my gag reflex!
Don't knock it until you've tried it. It is imperative that you don't cook the coffee on a burner all day though. That's what turns it into sludge. If you brew it, then turn it off, it'll be fine to warm up later.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:51 AM

102 posts, read 78,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
One of our personal goals is to shift our diet to be exclusive things that we produce on our farm. Trying to grow coffee here in Maine would be far from practical. I can grow tea though, so I shifted to tea instead of coffee.
Wow, that's such an impressive goal. I'd love to do the same thing where I live in Andorra, but winters are tough. The growing season is around 8 months in total in a good year.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Some people consider coffee a luxury, whatever. The fact is that many types of foods and almost all beverages (other than plain water) could be considered luxury items. For some reason people always hone in on coffee. I have no idea why. These same people will eat steak instead of hamburger, but sit there and talk about my drinking coffee and how "expensive" that is.
I'm not "honing in" on coffee. I love the stuff. Nor was I talking about getting coffee in a coffee shop, if you read the OP. Just making it at home. I just wondered if the frugal types get cheaper coffee, but interestingly, it looks like nope. Glad to hear it.

I'm going to look into this "Clever Coffee Dripper". We used a similar device ---the top part---for many years.

Nobody's eating steak around here. It's awful---no "grain-finishing". Grass-fed sounds healthy but yuck. Tough as nails.

Drink your coffee, Pris! I am, right now!

Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
I make my own cold brew. Every morning I drink what would be a $7 Xbux drink.

Cost me about 30 cents.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I suppose there's no such thing as fair-trade coffee available at a regular grocery store, right? Seems I always see brands I have to order online... which adds shipping to the cost. (I don't care if it's organic, just fair-trade.)
Sure there is.

Some of Safeway O Organics brands are labeled as fair trade.

They sell a bunch of other fair trade brands as well.

Kroger/King Soopers/City Market does as well.

My current favorite is one of the O Organics varieties- Peruvian Chanchamayo.
It’s often on sale for $4.99 for 10 oz.
Lasts me a couple of weeks.

I add half & half and a tsp of cane sugar.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Which can be quite expensive, unless you are buying the dirt-cheap stuff. If you drink coffee, how do you balance quality against cost?

Here in the land of very low COL, ironically coffee, which is grown here, is quite expensive. As is chocolate, also grown here! SIGH.

But we love our coffee even if it's a major line item (right after wine) in our food budget.

Another important factor is how you brew it, so as to get the most out of it. Our automatic coffee maker seems to take a lot, compared to say, a French press. What do you use to have the least waste? We like it strong too, and with cream/milk or a Bailey's knock-off ($6 here).

But we only have one (large) cup, then during the day I drink cold tea with ginger....
My post is frugal:

I drink instant organic coffee made in Europe. 2-3 cups daily costs me $4 dollars per month total.

I drink instant because it's good for the liver and organic to avoid the many toxic chemicals.

Coffee should NOT be expensive at all!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:13 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
What about people with financial problems who never drink coffee at all?
They have one less item to worry about.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
My post is frugal:

I drink instant organic coffee made in Europe. 2-3 cups daily costs me $4 dollars per month total.

I drink instant because it's good for the liver and organic to avoid the many toxic chemicals.

Coffee should NOT be expensive at all!
I drink instant quite often and yes, it's inexpensive. Not straining my budget at all. It never has. When i'm trying to be careful with finances, I cut back on buying chips, soda, ice cream. That's money saved.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
There is always something decent on sale. I experiment and try different things. The latest one I like is Cafe Caribe sold in a big yellow brick for under $2 locally. I agree that french press is more economical but the coffee is cold by the time it's in my cup ready to drink. So I use a drip coffee maker that keeps it warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living