Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We all know that Entertainment is what allows us to escape reality which can be Cable TV, DVD's, and the Internet.

So I don't mind paying $67 a month for Internet or $100 a month for cable because at the end of the day once we get home from a job and finish paying rent and electric and gas, what are we supposed to do? Nothing? So I believe being Frugual is good when it comes to

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

Defintely not entertainment. Anyone Agree?
Disagree. I'm not sure why, but basic cable costs us about $10/month. The internet is over $50 (I don't pay the bills so I don't know the amount). We never watch the TV channels but keep the cable cuz it's a package deal.

The account is in the boyfriend's name & he's too... shy to call & negotiate for a better deal. I hear if you call & say you want to switch or cancel they'll give you whatever the current promotion is. I'm the brash one - of the two of us - so this will stay the same, I guess. He's just too easy going to call & be confrontational.

We watch everything on the internet. Sometimes we cave to buy DVD's or use Redbox.

But almost everything can be rapidshared or found on Hulu. Right now we can't find anything for where we left off with on Boston Legal. We may need to continue buying DVD's for that. Luckily, we can get them for 10% off at Barnes & Noble with our membership or wait for them to go on sale there & save even more.

We watched all of the episodes of Arrested Development on Hulu. We watch The Office whenever we want: no need to record it or be enslaved to a schedule. On ABC.com, I can watch Grey's Anatomy.

We just saw a movie that wasn't even out yet. It was so fantastic that we do want to go to the theater to see it (great special effects) with surround sound.

There are some theories of legality/illegality regarding rapidshare & rationalizing wins.

I hate to pay full price for anything.

Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
We all know that Entertainment is what allows us to escape reality which can be Cable TV, DVD's, and the Internet.

So I don't mind paying $67 a month for Internet or $100 a month for cable because at the end of the day once we get home from a job and finish paying rent and electric and gas, what are we supposed to do? Nothing? So I believe being Frugual is good when it comes to

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

It's probably been said before in this thread, but there are ways to save money even when paying for entertainment. Here's a few:

Cable TV:
Most anywhere, but especially in big cities and apartments, the cable guy pretty much NEVER shuts off extra services. Simply pay for a month or get a free trial period of full-service cable. Then, call to cut it back to basic. 3 times out of 4, your bill will go down, but your service won't be cut, so you can get that $100 service for $12.

Satellite:
This one's tougher, but before you buy, ask around to find out who's got the same system you want. Generally there are credits to both parties for referrals. My local provider will do 1 year at $20 for basic service, plus $30 off the new user's bill and $50 off the referrer's bill.

Internet:
The easiest way is simply to cut back to the minimum service. Most casual users don't need any more than the base 700-ish K link as opposed to the more expensive 1-5Mbps links. Unfortunately, a lot of communication companies are eliminating the lower-speed options.

Movies:
You can't really get around paying here, unless you've got a friend in the theater who can get you in for free. "Twilight" or daytime matinees can be good deals. AMC movie theaters usually allow outside food, and it's pretty easy to "sneak" stuff in past the bored highschoolers who are more interested in texting their friends than checking your purse or backpack. Picking the time carefully and bringing snacks and drinks from home cut my overall movie bill for a couple from $30+ to $11.50.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
As many have mentioned, the library is a great place for movies and more. Ours (and most city's I assume) has an online catalog where you can search items, and have them sent and held for you at the branch of your choice. They even have mail options. It doesn't get easier!

If you don't have a Blockbuster membership (or other rental chains in your area) get one. They are usually free, and you don't have use it. Many have older title movies as low as $1, and other periodic promotions. You also may recieve free rental coupons online or by mail.

Don't rule out buying DVDs, esp ones you will watch repeatedly, lke childrens, music or instructional. The used prices have dropped a lot, you can find them at most pawns or thrift stores for $1-3. VHS, when you can find it, is often $1 or less.

Dollar stores also get DVD and VHS, though usually few good titles.

If you build up a collection of movies you no longer want, you can trade/sell them with a free local classified ad or Craigslist.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I pay $104 a month for 125 cable channels, 25 movie premiums, 46 music channels and high-speed internet, which I don't think is a lot. That falls within the range of frugal. But I spend absolutely nothing on any other entertainment. I never go to movies or rent them, I never eat out, I never buy music, I borrow books from the library and read magazines there, I don't even own a radio. So that $104 is the bottom line, month in and month out.

However, by contrast, in 1950 when I was growing up, and my family lived with dignity on what my dad made in 40 hours. We had a Zenith radio and a Brownie box camera, went to a movie once every week or two, and got a new board game every Christmas. Every summer we drove 400 miles (in a 1938 car on 25-cent gas) to spend an otherwise-free vacation with relatives. We got our first TV in 1952, which cost my dad a month's pay.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
If you don't have a Blockbuster membership (or other rental chains in your area) get one. They are usually free, and you don't have use it. Many have older title movies as low as $1, and other periodic promotions. You also may recieve free rental coupons online or by mail.
Redbox rents RECENT movies out for $1/night. You can reserve the moves over the internet and pick them up at your local machine, which are generally at grocery and drug stores.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

How much does a deck of playing cards cost?

That is about as frugal as possible in my book.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 AM

302 posts, read 607,907 times
I actually don't mind being frugal on entertainment also...

1) Movies: I find it much more enjoyable watching a movie at home (much less expensive - can pause the movie); my freshly made popcorn is much better; no crowds; no noise or disturbances - and I can relax on the sofa or bed to watch the movie

2) Eating in: On rare occasins I may want to eat out at a nice restaurant, usually for some sort of meal that I haven't mastered cooking yet (ie: steak tips in gorgonzola cheese or cheese enchiladas). My cooking it almost always better then when I eat anything else at a restaurant....besides, there's no waiting for a table; disturbances.
I think candlelit dinners at home are MUCH more romantic also!!!

Quote:

Food
Personal Needs
Medicine
Clothes

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Redbox rents RECENT movies out for $1/night. You can reserve the moves over the internet and pick them up at your local machine, which are generally at grocery and drug stores.
REDBOX can be a good option too, you can sometimes get free rentals from promotions from other restaurants or businesses. But by in large, BB has more free rental promos during a year.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
$8 a month in gas to go to the library 20 times. $1.50/hour parking, since our library is downtown so we have to park in the ramps. Lets say 2 hours a day, for husband and I to check email and find a couple of books and movies. That's $60 to park. And of course that's if there is no waiting to get on the computer. Let's say an average of $10 a month wear and tear on the car.
So that's about $78/month for a month of library trips. I pay $81/month for my tv ($51.00 for middle package) and internet (29.99/month price for life). Really not worth the $3 savings to deal with the hassle of trying to find a parking spot in those stupid ramps.
Of course if push came to shove I would cancel my TV in a heartbeat and just rent movies from RedBox for $1/day. I need to keep my internet though for college, since most of my classes are hybrid and need an additional 1-2 hours online. Soon I'll probably be canceling my cell phones and just get a prepaid for my husband. That would save us $80/month that we are just throwing away, since we don't really use them (average about 50 minutes a month)

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
$8 a month in gas to go to the library 20 times. $1.50/hour parking, since our library is downtown so we have to park in the ramps. Lets say 2 hours a day, for husband and I to check email and find a couple of books and movies. That's $60 to park. And of course that's if there is no waiting to get on the computer. Let's say an average of $10 a month wear and tear on the car.
So that's about $78/month for a month of library trips. I pay $81/month for my tv ($51.00 for middle package) and internet (29.99/month price for life). Really not worth the $3 savings to deal with the hassle of trying to find a parking spot in those stupid ramps.
Of course if push came to shove I would cancel my TV in a heartbeat and just rent movies from RedBox for $1/day. I need to keep my internet though for college, since most of my classes are hybrid and need an additional 1-2 hours online. Soon I'll probably be canceling my cell phones and just get a prepaid for my husband. That would save us $80/month that we are just throwing away, since we don't really use them (average about 50 minutes a month)
The lib is great but why do you need to go 20 times a month? My lib lets you check out 5 each or DVDs or VHS for a week, 2 weeks if no one else has requested them. Books are for several weeks and the limit is crazy high, like 20-30 at a time. Also, doesn't your lib have a website to browse, request and manage your items? You should be able to get/take back everything you need with only 4 trips a month.

I'm not saying dropping cable would be best for you, but you shouldn't have to choose between cable and the lib.

Also, in response to several posts here, I would propose internet access is VERY important to the frugal. It may already pay for itself thru savings on postage and long distance alone. Add in online coupons and offers, the ability to find and purchase items for less than you can in your area, free entertainment sites, and the ability to easily and quickly research any topic you need to, and get advice from sites like this. Also, with the ability to sell items yourself thru sites like ebaY, Craigslist and others and you could be MAKING money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living