Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 07:14 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times

Advertisements

So what y'all are saying is that it's easier to walk in the rain with bags of groceries than to drive in a car? And to get to point a to point b? Walking will take longer and riding a bike around town is a pain. It's not easier to live without a car, can't be.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:27 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
So what y'all are saying is that it's easier to walk in the rain with bags of groceries than to drive in a car? And to get to point a to point b? Walking will take longer and riding a bike around town is a pain. It's not easier to live without a car, can't be.
Depends on where you live.

If you live in a city neighborhood, or a small town with a thriving center that's easy to get to on foot or bike, living car-free is not harder than living with a car.

Especially in a city, where the car can be as much albatross around your neck as vehicle of liberation.

Don't want to get wet walking home from the store? Go on a day when it's not raining. Just about every large city not named Seattle has plenty of such days. I find it's a rare day when I must go to the supermarket in the rain - it usually happens only because I've planned an event and forgot something the day before. I carry an umbrella and put on my waterproof windbreaker and I'm fine.

Have many bags to haul? They make these carts that hold several bags, and you can wheel them around with you.

And I don't have to worry about monthly car payments, insurance or parking the thing.

If I really do need to haul something that I can't carry in my hands, in a "granny cart" or on the bus or subway, I can book a car share to make the trip.

For longer trips, like the one I took to an outlet mall on the opposite side of the city from me today, there is a time penalty - but I can do things like read on the bus. I can't do that behind the wheel of a car.

Maybe not jump-in-and-go convenient, but still pretty easy. At least for me.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 AM

512 posts, read 321,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Depends on where you live.

If you live in a city neighborhood, or a small town with a thriving center that's easy to get to on foot or bike, living car-free is not harder than living with a car.

Especially in a city, where the car can be as much albatross around your neck as vehicle of liberation.

Don't want to get wet walking home from the store? Go on a day when it's not raining. Just about every large city not named Seattle has plenty of such days. I find it's a rare day when I must go to the supermarket in the rain - it usually happens only because I've planned an event and forgot something the day before. I carry an umbrella and put on my waterproof windbreaker and I'm fine.

Have many bags to haul? They make these carts that hold several bags, and you can wheel them around with you.

And I don't have to worry about monthly car payments, insurance or parking the thing.

If I really do need to haul something that I can't carry in my hands, in a "granny cart" or on the bus or subway, I can book a car share to make the trip.

For longer trips, like the one I took to an outlet mall on the opposite side of the city from me today, there is a time penalty - but I can do things like read on the bus. I can't do that behind the wheel of a car.

Maybe not jump-in-and-go convenient, but still pretty easy. At least for me.
Same here.
The thing for me is that I have always purposely, actively attempted to live in big cities. And I have succeeded at that (which I totally understand not everyone can do). And not only that, I also purposely, actively look for jobs that are within walking distance of my home and within walking distance of things like post office, supermarket, gym, bank, etc. Sometimes it's hard to find all that, but it's not impossible.

I am lucky that I have that now, and I am happy because all of that ensures that I can live a happily car-free life. No car notes, no gasoline/car repair expenses, no parking tickets, no stress over potential car theft or carjacking, no insurance expenses, etc.

Besides, there's nothing better to maintain good health than being on the move all the time.
I love walking anyway, and rain does not scare me since I am not made of paper.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:06 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I've done it with a backpack many times. If you're only going a mile, time is similar. Figure cost of driving, gas mileage drops on short trips. Health benefits hard to figure, but many say you add a minute to your life for every one you exercise.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:26 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,269 times
I live in NYC and haven’t owned a car in over ten years. I have a license and rent a car when I need one, which is rare. The subway is a block from my home. There is a bus stop out front of my stoop and taxis all over place.

I save a ton by not owning a car.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:38 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I live in NYC and haven’t owned a car in over ten years. I have a license and rent a car when I need one, which is rare. The subway is a block from my home. There is a bus stop out front of my stoop and taxis all over place.

Yeah, but you spend it all on the high cost of living.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:52 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Due to a knee issue and not being able to drive and not knowing if I could again, I finally let my car go and got a little chunk of cash for it. Checking account has never been healthier. I'm older for starters and my daughter kept saying how older people behind the wheel are dangers...yes it's true but so are younger ones, but older is what I am.

I drove and owned a vehicle for about 60 yrs and got more and more tired of driving anyway...and the Traffic around here, good grief.

I get groceries delivered now from 2-3 stores and have some friends here in apt bldg who get stuff for me and of course there is online buying.

This new way of living is feeling good and just hearing on the radio new vehicle taxes being enacted here in Calif.

The way I'm doing it, I'm am ahead of the game monetarily.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,313 times
Just not possible in many areas of the country to be car free.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Just not possible in many areas of the country to be car free.
Agreed, and our dispersed employment patterns make cars more neccessary than they otherwise might be in our large metropolitan centers - it's difficult to serve scattered job sites effectively using mass transit, and the distances involved between worksite and home make commuting by a means other than the car impractical where mass transit is not available. And even where it is, for many employees, the time penalty involved in using transit to cover the long distances makes that option, if not impractical, then at least extremely inconvenient.

But where car-free living is possible, living car-free actually saves you money and reduces stress.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

New York is a very unique city. Subways everywhere makes owning a vehicle unnecessary. Walkabiliity adds to the convenience. One of my relatives lives there and has never owned one. Occasionally rents a car for some trips. Boasted once of joining a gym that's only a block from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living