Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:11 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When we lived in California, there was a little town down the coast that Monarchs always returned to.
There was a park in town with a small forest that was a Monarch reserve.
When they came back every year the whole forest filled with them.
It was magical.

Then the town politicians sold it to developers who bulldozed all the trees down and built condos.

There must be other towns around that have Monarch forests, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Monarchs have become extinct.
I haven't seen one for years.
That really does sound wonderful & magical. Closest I've come to experiencing something like that with butterflies is at the Bronx Zoo's Butterfly Garden. Observing the kids of all ages is almost as wonderful as observing the butterflies themselves.

& very sad they sold to developers.

I am betting the former 'tenants' loved & appreciated their home much more than the present ones. Hoping they found a new & better place to wander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
.... The garden center had fifty plants covered with caterpillars and with monarch butterflies all over. We saw several chrysalis hanging on pots....
Omg, there are now 16 caterpillars and counting!

Attachment 200374

That actually shows how dire the lack of habitat is in your location--- Here on my acreage, I have hundreds of milkweed plants growing wild and on any warm, sunny day you can see Monarchs, two or three at a time, in every direction you turn to look, yet, I've only actually spotted one monarch caterpillar chowing down (although many holes on leaves where they had been eating.)

Others here have stated how the Monarchs completely devour their 1 or 2 Milkweed plants = too much competition for a scarce resource.

Your observation is equivalent to the long lines at the soup kitchens during The Great Depression-- only source of scarce food in town for the unemployed.

Habitat fragmentation is almost as bad as no habitat. MIlkweed seed planters of the world unite!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:54 AM

7,235 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:

Then the town politicians sold it to developers who bulldozed all the trees down and built condos.

All the silly regulations about plastic straws, pesticides, pipelines and carbon taxes are meaningless if there's no habitat left to protect....And the impact of those regs are minuscule compared to habitat loss as a problem.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
I just found this thread. I didn't read the entire thread yet. Is it too late in the year to plant the milkweed for the monarchs?
I do not ever use pesticides in my yard yet I have just realized that I have seen no butterflies this summer.

I certainly will be doing these things for next spring and summer at least.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That actually shows how dire the lack of habitat is in your location--- Here on my acreage, I have hundreds of milkweed plants growing wild and on any warm, sunny day you can see Monarchs, two or three at a time, in every direction you turn to look, yet, I've only actually spotted one monarch caterpillar chowing down (although many holes on leaves where they had been eating.)

Others here have stated how the Monarchs completely devour their 1 or 2 Milkweed plants = too much competition for a scarce resource.

Your observation is equivalent to the long lines at the soup kitchens during The Great Depression-- only source of scarce food in town for the unemployed.

Habitat fragmentation is almost as bad as no habitat. MIlkweed seed planters of the world unite!
There isn’t a dire lack of habitat as much as an over abundance of Monarchs here.
I see Monarchs and many other butterflies daily in my yard and not for just a few short months out of the year. The problem here is a longer temperate climate and the need for Monarchs to reproduce prolifically. I checked on my plant this morning to find many less caterpillars. There were two anoles (lizards) nearby who likely had a good meal earlier. Those long lines, in nature, serve as a buffet for others.

What I have learned is the tropical milkweed variety, seen in all garden centers, is not my best choice and can be detrimental to Monarchs in the long run. A monoculture is not good do I’m trying to add more species of milkweed. I have been on the hunt for the three native milkweed species available to me in SW FL. I sowed seeds for one variety I found, but they did not germinate. I’m trying again and using the tropical variety in the meantime. I’m guessing there are native milkweeds nearby I’m not identifying because of the many Monarchs I see.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-26-2018 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 AM

Many Monarchs & Skippers in my front yard in the last few weeks, mostly around the Butterfly Bushes. The bushes are still making new blooms, & trying to keep up by snipping off the spent ones. My next door neighbor works from home & likely sees more than I do. I planted a bush nearer to his yard but he says they seem to prefer the older & larger one. The one nearer to his yard is a more deeper purple color. Not sure if it makes a difference? They also seem to like meandering around the Crepe Myrtle.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:49 AM

100 posts, read 94,197 times
I have had a beautiful monarch in my back yard near my peach tree. He stops by in the afternoon and I was able to get some great photos of him on a leaf and on a peach he was thoroughly enjoying! He has to fight off the hummingbirds for a space on the tree but it is so nice to see him the past week or so!

Old 08-22-2019, 05:19 AM

How are the butterflies this year in your neck of the woods?

Old 08-24-2019, 10:33 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Got some milkweed plants...Monarch butterflies and caterpillars all over now. Stuck one in a jar...hatched & released in about a week.
Attached Thumbnails
We have to help the Monarch Butterflies-20190713_125144.jpg  

Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
When we lived in California, there was a little town down the coast that Monarchs always returned to.
There was a park in town with a small forest that was a Monarch reserve.
When they came back every year the whole forest filled with them.
It was magical.

There must be other towns around that have Monarch forests, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Monarchs have become extinct.
I haven't seen one for years.
I remember seeing Monarch forests on a TV show a while ago - it WAS magical to watch, so many of them. It makes me sick thinking how people can just bulldoze the trees and build condos, malls, whatever and all the living things that made their home there are displaced - where do they go? That's why there are less and less Monarchs around, just like the honey bees, and all the endangered living things. The politicians don't think of it boomeranging back - you mess with the ecosystem and Nature is changed forever and it affects everyone in the long run, but for many the mighty dollar and greed overrides the future. There is always a price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden