Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

I use the good old depenable "Perky-Pet" hummingbird feeders. They have little perches for them to sit on while eating. I have bought tons of those beautiful blown glass feeders only to be given away to friends because they just don't work for me. The Perky-pet feeders are very inexpensive and have been around for as long as I can remember. As far as cleaning, the top is small but how hard is it to put hot water and a bit of vinagar/bleach in it and let it sit for a few minutes then shake and rinse? Just yesterday I came across an adorable hummingbird feeder I had bought years ago and never used. It's a bottle within a wooden frame. You can still see the red bottle but it is framed around it---looks like a little birdhouse. Well my Perky Pet feeder is already empty and the new feeder is sitting over half full. I'll take it down today and just stick to what I know works for me! More $$ does not necessairly mean better for a hummingbird feeder! I have at least 10 regular hummers right now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I use the good old depenable "Perky-Pet" hummingbird feeders. They have little perches for them to sit on while eating. I have bought tons of those beautiful blown glass feeders only to be given away to friends because they just don't work for me. The Perky-pet feeders are very inexpensive and have been around for as long as I can remember. As far as cleaning, the top is small but how hard is it to put hot water and a bit of vinagar/bleach in it and let it sit for a few minutes then shake and rinse? Just yesterday I came across an adorable hummingbird feeder I had bought years ago and never used. It's a bottle within a wooden frame. You can still see the red bottle but it is framed around it---looks like a little birdhouse. Well my Perky Pet feeder is already empty and the new feeder is sitting over half full. I'll take it down today and just stick to what I know works for me! More $$ does not necessairly mean better for a hummingbird feeder! I have at least 10 regular hummers right now!!
I've got a couple of different Perky Pets, too. I've got close 10 hummers, too, probably. Apparently, there are all different colors and sizes of hummingbirds. Maybe this winter I'll have time to research hummingbirds. I thought hummingbird was one species but apparently there are many different ones.

Your hummingbirds won't touch other feeders even though their familiar with your location and your house???

That surprises me.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-17-2008 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 AM

They do sip from the new feeder but very little and it is located near the older feeder and I figured they just have to get use to it----but hey, they are already use to my Perky Pet feeder so I'll just get another one of the same and let it go at that! They aren't very interested in the latest design and since it's more for them to be satisfied and not so much for me being worried about looks I will just do what makes them happy little campers. Besides my friends just love it when I pass on my cute hummingbird feeders! Ha!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Default sneaky hummingbird....

Ever since I scared that hummingbird with my camera he's been sneaking around looking in windows to see where I am before he eats.

I was in the living room yesterday and and I saw him outside that window looking in. Apparently, he was checking to see where I was before heading to the feeder.

The feeders are getting empty so I know they're there... but they're being sneaky.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-22-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 AM

That is so funny! Ha! They fly around my windows and look in too but it's usually when their feeders are empty and they are reminding me that it need to be full. It seem all the while I am making up a new batch of sugar water they are watching me through my kitchen window! It cracks me up--it's like they are saying--hurry up, we're hungry out here!
The more time you spend outside near them the more at east they will get---even if you have your camera. It is just a matter of them getting use to it!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 AM

The sad thing is that the day I had the camera out there, I didn't even have film in my camera. I'd just gotten a new 200 mm zoom and wanted to see how close it put me to them and if it would even focus at that distance. When the little guy came up -- it startled both of us!

He better get use to it. I bought the lense so I could get pictures of them!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM

He will! Just keep going out and holding up the camera and taking those pictures! Before long he will become a "ham" and start posing for you! I can sit right under the feeders now and they act like I'm not even there. If I take out my camera they actually come and look right at me as if to say "well, what are you waiting for--take my picture!"

Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 AM

I've seen pictures of people holding feeders and hummers feeding right out of their hands. I would like that experience in my lifetime...

I love these little creatures.

I can't decide if my favorite birds are hummers or Mourning Doves -- it's a toss up!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,850 times
I think they like getting their picture taken! Seriously.

I've caught them 'posing' also, and almost preening .. and looking you straight in the eye! Do you think they can read out thoughts?!?

I think they're pretty smart too. Used to have a plant with small red flowers in the middle of two windows that opened outward at an angle. They'd make their way inside the house to the flowers and managed to manoever themselves out again with no problem.

If it were other birds, they'd just fly into the windows. I thought that was quite something to be able to detect how to get in and out like that.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM

They are truly amazing and they are beautiful.

I've just moved here so we're just establishing a trust relationship... There are lots of them here - that's for sure.

Apparently, I need to become more BOLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden