Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 09:23 AM

19,910 posts, read 22,843,106 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe the gardening season is winding down. The days get shorter quickly here.

I'm holding out some hope for some corn. Got a little ways to go.

Same with tomatoes. If we are lucky we will get some ripened, but I think it's going to be another year of green tomatoes in a cardboard box until they ripen. Not nearly as good as vine ripened, but not much we can do about it.

Root veggies love their little shaded corner. They'll hold until after frost.

Squashes, onions and some other stuff I forget.

We have bingo beans climbing the perimeter fence. We keep them on the vine until they dry naturally then store them. Tomatillas are doing great, there's some cuke plants that are producing and believe it or not some of our pea plants are still flowering. Green beans are slowing down but we have a second planting which should produce in a week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 AM

13,730 posts, read 12,524,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Same with tomatoes. If we are lucky we will get some ripened, but I think it's going to be another year of green tomatoes in a cardboard box until they ripen. Not nearly as good as vine ripened, but not much we can do about it.
Cut the whole vine or as much as is reasonable, and they'll ripen nicely and be better than in the cardboard box.

I've had to pick all of mine early since July because the bugs are so aggressive here but have had a banner year for Tomato production, especially the German Johnsons.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:13 AM

That's a great idea. I think we will do that.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:15 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,936,216 times
Just had two nights in the 40sF, but just two hours north in NW Pennsylvania they had their first frost yesterday morning , near my camp it dropped to 34F. Season is definitely starting to wrap up here, sun is waning. Couple more warm weeks, and fall will be here soon.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:45 PM

83,635 posts, read 75,734,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Just had two nights in the 40sF, but just two hours north in NW Pennsylvania they had their first frost yesterday morning , near my camp it dropped to 34F. Season is definitely starting to wrap up here, sun is waning. Couple more warm weeks, and fall will be here soon.

I wish I can get 40s in August! WISH!! Another morning this morning in the 70s and another humid hot day today.. It's been a miserable summer. Garden loving it but I lost interest. lol

Old 08-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Looks like our garden might get cut short this season. Next Sunday's forecast is a high of 62 and a low of 39deg.

I don't think my corn will make it. Dang.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Looks like our garden might get cut short this season. Next Sunday's forecast is a high of 62 and a low of 39deg.

Yup... could change though but I am seeing Fall showing up in Canada. All it takes is a dip south for us.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Looks like snow for the higher mountains I think above 7000' there. Well below normal surface temps coming. Hope you dont get too much damage. https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=TFX&issuedby=TFX&product=AFD&form at=CI&version=4&glossary=0

Quote:
National Weather Service Great Falls MT
440 AM MDT Mon Aug 24 2020

currently under a Marginal Risk for severe
thunderstorms.

Friday night through next Monday...deterministic models continue to
depict a potent trough over the Gulf of Alaska (Friday morning)
digging southeast to over the Northern Rockies (Saturday) before
slowing advancing east over the Northern High Plains/Upper
Mississippi Valley by Monday. While this pattern will promote
increasing chances for precipitation and cooler temperatures (well
below climatological norms, especially by Sunday and Monday) over
much of the timeframe, Saturday will likely see a period of breezy
to strong winds and dry conditions. 1000-500mb thicknesses will fall
to around 5450m to 5500m from Saturday night through Sunday night,
which is expected to allow rain to change over to snow over some of
the higher elevations in the mountains.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,815,697 times
It's about over for the season. No time to plant and care for fall greens. I will prepare some dirt for next years okra and zipper cream pea patches and a couple dozen tomato plants plus 2 dozen acorn squash plants. That will wrap it up. Tomatoes and squash in raised beds for sure. Lumber is onsite now.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:52 PM

Got some more green beans tonight, a few wayward peas and LO AND BEHOLD!! One tomato.

At least we didn't get skunked. There's actually quite a few on there that look like a few more warm days and we'll have some. Not a whole lot, but some. My romas have only grown to the size of my thumb on the north west box. Here's holding out for hope, lol.

Edit- I made 16 quarts of pork udon soup. I gave 8 to my neighbor that had a stroke 2 years ago- he loves that soup. It has our carrots, cabbage and onions in it, a few of our hot peppers too. It's really good. We've got homemade sauerkraut done fermenting tonight and another batch of pickles. I think in total 16-20 quarts of food since Saturday.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-25-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden