Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 06:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,805,032 times

Advertisements

There were 6 short rows of corn that just are not going to make. The bright side is they are about 20' long instead of 200' long which would have been normal for us. The steel post in the left background are ready for spring and sugar snap peas..

Water is running on the small and scraggly patch of Fordhook Lima beans that were planted late. They are very heavy with bloom and we may get as much as a bushel for green shelling and freezing. The market is insanely high. $50 doesn't buy much over 10 #'s this year on the market here.

The best thing and one of the most important things to us is the okra crop this year. It's a jungle in the making and requires our attention 7 days a week for harvesting.

About every 3rd or 4th day a plant yields another pod. Here the prolific nature of okra can be seen.

Ready to sort for use according to size. Pickling, freezing, & dehydrating.

We prepare it coated flour-cornmeal and pan fry, pickled with dill and cayenne pepper, & cooked with tomato & onion. On tip on growing okra for those that don't already know is that okra is highly susceptible to nematodes. It's best to not plant it in the same spot for another 3 seasons. Currently we are harvesting about 3 1/2 lbs a day on about 80 feet of row. I planted more but a lot I killed by accident trying to correct for a strip of poor soil.

I forgot to include this photo showing how thick the Lima beans are with bloom. All the tiny white dots is an average of possible fat Lima bean.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-09-2022 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Forgot a photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 06:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,579,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Just got back home from a 6 day vacation down to see relatives in CO. The drip system on the brainbox works GREAT. Exceeding our expectations. A little fine tuning and I think next year will be fantastic. We've never had carrots this deep and large. The beets are great, the cabbage is sucking water like a champ. Our peppers look 10x better than years prior.

No tomatoes yet, but it's early for us. Lot's of fruit on the vine though. Green beans are starting to come off and the next couple of weeks will be furious picking.
Wow. Beets and carrots look hefty!

Old 08-09-2022, 06:54 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,579,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
There were 6 short rows of corn that just are not going to make. The bright side is they are about 20' long instead of 200' long which would have been normal for us. The steel post in the left background are ready for spring and sugar snap peas..

Water is running on the small and scraggly patch of Fordhook Lima beans that were planted late. They are very heavy with bloom and we may get as much as a bushel for green shelling and freezing. The market is insanely high. $50 doesn't buy much over 10 #'s this year on the market here.

The best thing and one of the most important things to us is the okra crop this year. It's a jungle in the making and requires our attention 7 days a week for harvesting.

About every 3rd or 4th day a plant yields another pod. Here the prolific nature of okra can be seen.

Ready to sort for use according to size. Pickling, freezing, & dehydrating.

We prepare it coated flour-cornmeal and pan fry, pickled with dill and cayenne pepper, & cooked with tomato & onion. On tip on growing okra for those that don't already know is that okra is highly susceptible to nematodes. It's best to not plant it in the same spot for another 3 seasons. Currently we are harvesting about 3 1/2 lbs a day on about 80 feet of row. I planted more but a lot I killed by accident trying to correct for a strip of poor soil.
I may have to add those to my diet. Sounds very tasty the way you prep it!

Old 08-09-2022, 08:02 PM

19,902 posts, read 22,830,404 times
Quote:
There were 6 short rows of corn that just are not going to make. The bright side is they are about 20' long instead of 200' long which would have been normal for us. The steel post in the left background are ready for spring and sugar snap peas.
Did you fertilize the corn? It looks like a nitrogen deficiency.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:28 PM

My next 10 days- UGH!!

Garden is looking good. Going to have manually water the corn and stock tanks a little more for the next few weeks.

The green beans, carrots and beets looking great. You can see the Frankenstein broccoli bushes in the rear right. We are cutting them out- they're not producing anything. Before we left on vacation we put down a general purpose fertilizer using a plastic laundry detergent bottle- I drilled a large hole in the screw cap, filled it with fertilizer and then we simply poured a line of fertilizer along the drip line. That seems to have done really well, and really easy to apply and get it where it needs to be.

Mmmm.. corn

Old 08-09-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Did you fertilize the corn? It looks like a nitrogen deficiency.
Yes it was well fertilized with 10-10-10 with minors and then side dressed with calcium nitrate. My pH meter is not working so I don't know what the pH is. That could keep the side dressings from working as the soil could tie up the nitrogen.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yes it was well fertilized with 10-10-10 with minors and then side dressed with calcium nitrate. My pH meter is not working so I don't know what the pH is. That could keep the side dressings from working as the soil could tie up the nitrogen.
I use 46-0-0 and apply it 3x. Once at about 10-12 inches (2-3 leaves emerge), then again when tassles start to emerge, and I'll apply another when silk appears. About 1/2 lb per 100ft row. I used to run 10-10-10 for the first feeding and then went up to 46-0-0, but I'm getting better results with all 46-0-0.

You may want to up the nitrogen.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:16 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,769,170 times
I'm trying to grow Okra. Last year, I experimented with a couple of plants and made some errors. This year, it's doing better. I really learned from experience.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I use 46-0-0 and apply it 3x. Once at about 10-12 inches (2-3 leaves emerge), then again when tassles start to emerge, and I'll apply another when silk appears. About 1/2 lb per 100ft row. I used to run 10-10-10 for the first feeding and then went up to 46-0-0, but I'm getting better results with all 46-0-0.

You may want to up the nitrogen.
I have a stash of the 46-0-0 AKA synthetic urea. Calcium Nitrate is 15.5-0-0 so if you use 3x as much you get the same nitrogen with the benefit of the calcium raising the pH when the soil is more on the acid side. I have none left so now it is Urea...It's getting hard to get some of the things I like as in Potassium Nitrate to side dress okra with. I don't know where I will even find more calcium nitrate now. The coops here can't get it at this time. There is one thing with the 10-10-10 for a corn starter is that the size of the ear is dependent on having phosphorus very early after germination. Many years ago we used to start side dressing when the corn was a foot high. Of all the years I've had corn this is a first time that it utterly failed. I am going to have a test ran on a soil sample and find out for sure what is missing. For spring depending on test results I think I'll use 5-15-30 broadcast early and then only use the 46-0-0 banded as a side dressing using a one row seeder that can also side dress with the added fertilizer hopper.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:43 PM

We tested our soil last year and it needed a phosphorus boost. We added quite a lot of bone meal prior to last years plantings and pretty sure it is sufficient this year. My problem with corn this year was germination rates- it really fell off but my seed stash is pushing 4 years old.

I'll have 3 succession plantings (hopefully). 2 planned and 1 more to over seed the poor germination rate areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden