Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2023, 10:06 AM

83,626 posts, read 75,686,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
There were 10 plants, but one plant went crazy and was pulled up. There are 9 tomato plants plus two small bean plants now. My wife was picking a few tomatoes each day before we left on our trip.

Cool color/design varieties there! Mmmmm. Looks like Apples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 01:53 PM

2,738 posts, read 2,245,955 times
After underperforming last year it has blossomed this year. Most of her plants are over 4' tall. While out of town I have a automatic sprinkler watering it once a day. This year I fertilized it prior to planting and she put tomato food on them one time. She also got bigger and better plants from a local garden club this year.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:20 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
Pulled off kale, peas, green beans, yellow wax beans, 2 cabbage heads, some carrots, strawberries (starting to slack off) and some raspberries.

We're going to make a big batch of pickled 4 bean salad. We've got some garbanzo beans growing, but they won't be ready until later. We'll freeze those for next year to make a fresh batch.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:29 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,047,383 times
The garden has survived well for it being mid 90s and higher for over a month.

My beans have stopped, but crossing my fingers. Bell peppers, banana peppers and egg plant are coming in. Have loads of romas, need to turn it into marinara or something. Got a couple zukes, some yellow squash are coming in. Got my first watermelon!!! Got a late start on squash and melons, but I remain optimistic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2023, 07:28 PM

5,935 posts, read 6,154,585 times
Eggplants are going crazy now. The long purple ones have like 15 on each plant. Also got some round ones with 10 per plant. They're not even in full sun...

Old 07-31-2023, 09:30 AM

83,626 posts, read 75,686,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The garden has survived well for it being mid 90s and higher for over a month.
But have you survived? No idea how you guys tolerate it. 2 days in the 90s and I go crazy and get SAD.

Luckily temps dropping in the 50s at night this week and only 70s during the day. Feels like September. Dewpoints in the amazing 50s! Garden and Lawn loving it. Even the hot loving plants becuase the sun is still super strong

Old 07-31-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
But have you survived? No idea how you guys tolerate it. 2 days in the 90s and I go crazy and get SAD.

Luckily temps dropping in the 50s at night this week and only 70s during the day. Feels like September. Dewpoints in the amazing 50s! Garden and Lawn loving it. Even the hot loving plants becuase the sun is still super strong
Not well. This weather is out of the ordinary.... but so was our winter. I go out in the morning and do yard stuff, and back in the house! DH loves the heat.

Weds. we are back down to a reasonable 85 (we have very low humidity). We travel a bit in summer which helps. All of our night time temps are in the 50s, but not for long enough.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:20 AM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
We've been in the 90's for about two weeks. Low 60's at night. Of course no humidity. This is the weather where our garden takes off (and unfortunately fire season).

One thing that has not done well at all is our beets. The entire row has died. We suspect the excessive damp and cool spring killed them off. We're going to dig that row up and replant for fall.

The grasshoppers are really bad this year. I counted about 10-12 in a square foot. I may have to use Sevin on some of our plants unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:12 PM

I'm the worst gardener....

Went to reach for what appeared to be a rolled leaf on the egg plant, and realized at the last moment it was a horn worm the size of pony. Screamed and woke DH up from his nap.

Those suckers fight back.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:14 PM

2,738 posts, read 2,245,955 times
My wife is still picking tomatoes, but some plants are being pulled up. Her cucumber plants only produced a few cucumbers this year. She will be pulling them up soon to start prepping for the fall garden. I will be expanding her 4' x 8' garden by 4' whenever it cools down (if ever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden