Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2023, 10:15 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,422,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After getting into the upper 50's for a few morning my wife's tomato plants are just about done. She may pick the green ones to see if they will ripen or cook fried green tomatoes with them. Once the tomato plants are pulled up I will start enlarging her raised bed by 4'.
Or pickled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 02:11 PM

5,935 posts, read 6,152,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After getting into the upper 50's for a few morning my wife's tomato plants are just about done. She may pick the green ones to see if they will ripen or cook fried green tomatoes with them. Once the tomato plants are pulled up I will start enlarging her raised bed by 4'.
Are you sure it was the cool mornings that did them in? Upper 50s is only barely cool. That would be considered warm compared to what most of my summer has been like, and my tomatoes are still doing good, only one plant has a bit of fungus starting, and I'm not convinced it's from the temperature.

Average lows here this summer

Jun: 52.5F
Jul: 55.9F
Aug: 54.5F

Old 08-16-2023, 02:18 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,041,345 times
Our nights are almost always in the 50s through summer.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Our 3 year old haskap berry bushes are producing nicely. We’ve harvested 5 lbs off 4 plants already this year. We’ve harvested about 3lbs of strawberries.

We have a lot of nice bok Choi and lettuce coming in. Taters are looking good, green beans are starting to take off and our radish harvest is over- not as much as we hoped but enough for a batch of Korean radish soup. Cabbage plants look awesome this year and bingo beans are starting to climb.

It’s been a tough year but things are looking up.
How many years did it take for them to produce btw? How many bushes do you have? When do they typically start to ripen in your area, mid June? Do you know how come they're not grown/sold commercially, at least not anywhere near the scale of blueberries or raspberries? I'm thinking of planting a couple bushes since I've heard they're a good early season fruit producer but I've never tasted them or seen them growing in person.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the copper fungicide may have worked on the tomato plants. I've torn or cut off a lot of the blackened leaves too. Just fertilized them and now will wait and see what happens. I wonder if that fungus came in on the tomatoes. I always started them from seed before but this year I wanted a head start so bought some at a farm. The farm was saying that they were having trouble and lost a lot of their crops from putting them out too soon and they were unable to cover all of them up when we had a freezing spell. Maybe these were unhealthly to begin with.
Are your plants still in good shape? I think I might be seeing the start of late blight on one of my cherry tomatoes. There's a black patch around a lower portion of the stem...

Old 08-16-2023, 03:49 PM

I got my first cantaloupe!! Well, it's growing, I don't have it yet. I grew it from a store bought cantaloupe and I saved the seeds. Actually all of my melons and squash are from produce I bought.

Old 08-16-2023, 04:24 PM

33,003 posts, read 36,546,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Anyone have more ideas what to do with all the eggplants? I've grilled them, made babaganoush, caponata... I just found a Rosa Bianca eggplant that was 23.5 oz.
Ratatouille. Also pasta sauce as Threerun mentioned. I was once making ratatouille and not paying enough attention. All of the veg was cooked to perfection... except the eggplant. It was too firm. I threw it in the food processor, added some tomato sauce and a bit more garlic. I finished it in a saucepan and served it over pasta. I liked it.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:11 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
How many years did it take for them to produce btw? How many bushes do you have? When do they typically start to ripen in your area, mid June? Do you know how come they're not grown/sold commercially, at least not anywhere near the scale of blueberries or raspberries? I'm thinking of planting a couple bushes since I've heard they're a good early season fruit producer but I've never tasted them or seen them growing in person.
Nursery we got them from said year 3 would yield a good amount and get better from there- spot on.

We have 4 total 3 different cultivars for pollination.

They ripened in late June in Helena MT. They have sweet to bittersweet taste. A little blueberry, a little honeysuckle. They are related to a honeysuckle.

One bush has to be pulled- powdery mildew more than likely due to that bush being almost entirely shaded. We’ll replant on the other end of the row in full sun.

Why not commercially sold? I think these are popular in Alberta area, just catching on down here. This is a huckleberry state, and its a religion for people to go out and pick wild hucks. Mainly people here grow raspberries and maybe cherries. Just not enough interest I guess.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-16-2023 at 06:29 PM..

Old 08-16-2023, 06:26 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Ratatouille. Also pasta sauce as Threerun mentioned. I was once making ratatouille and not paying enough attention. All of the veg was cooked to perfection... except the eggplant. It was too firm. I threw it in the food processor, added some tomato sauce and a bit more garlic. I finished it in a saucepan and served it over pasta. I liked it.
YES! My wife makes an awesome ratatouille! Garden veggies and herbs set this thing on a whole 'nother level!!

Old 08-16-2023, 06:29 PM

Compliments to the Chef! Absolutely beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden