Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2023, 10:31 AM

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's good. We've considered that too, but honestly our pests are controllable. We've tried to encourage beneficial insects- like leaving paper wasp nests alone (unless they are in a spot like near a door). Yellowjackets fly around the garden and they don't bother us when we're in there- so leave them alone.

The birds- that I think is a function of our environment. Basically we have a little green and moist oasis in the middle of a dry desert.
We feed the birds and they nest in our trees, and I planted tons of wildflowers and we have volunteer sunflowers. I feel like I've done what I can do.

I did buy ladybugs on year because I had aphids EVERYWHERE. I read up on how to keep them in the area, and a few days later they were gone.

This year has been awesome though, few pests. Anyway, off to plant some fall seeds to see if I can prolong the growing season!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 07:43 PM

33,006 posts, read 36,553,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have no idea of how to propagate natural predators in my area.

BUT, thuricide is not a pesticide, it is a biologic. Everything I use is organic, and has worked well
The two hornworms that I found on a plant looked like this: https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-g...0the%20cocoons.

Wasps for the win!

Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 PM

5,939 posts, read 6,154,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The two hornworms that I found on a plant looked like this: https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-g...0the%20cocoons.

Wasps for the win!
I had hornworms last year and 3/4 of them were parasitized by the warm larvae, so it worked out well. No hornworms this year.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:01 PM

19,903 posts, read 22,825,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Wasps for the win!
That's awesome! Let those wasps eat the tomato robbers!

Old 08-26-2023, 06:05 PM

FINALLY! A tomato nearing ripeness! I called it- end of August.

Peppers, onions, potatoes and the wildflower patch in the back. Big tomatillo plant to the left.

Mo' peppers

Left to right- carrots, onions, yellow wax beans and green beans and they are stuffed with beans.

Oh and dill- TONS of dill. Anyone want dill? You pay postage and it's yours. Those are all volunteers. The entire garden smells like a dill pickle, lol.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:34 AM

2,493 posts, read 1,577,790 times
Impressive garden, Threerun. Wow.

My little garden has been producing green beans and cherry tomatoes in abundance lately. The herbs did well too, parsley, basil, and cilantro. Chard looks good and made it through the heat. Peppers are producing again, lol. Not sure if they’ll make it as we are running out of daylight.

The bigger tomatoes are looking good, but also very late.

I wasn’t going to plant the cherry tomatoes but now I’m glad I did. I harvest a small bowl nearly daily, and we eat them breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:08 PM

Groundcherry's and bingo beans

Old 08-30-2023, 08:38 PM

All that dill that sprouted, well it has an interesting hungry bug in it!

Apparently it is an anise swallowtail butterfly and they LOVE dill. They'll lay their eggs on it and the larvae feast upon it!

https://www.joyfulbutterfly.com/prod...t%20them%20all!

Quote:
Dill (Anethum graveolens) is a wonderful herb, from the celery family, for attracting Black and Anise Swallowtail butterflies to your garden. It’s a popular host plant, meaning that the adult female butterflies will lay their eggs on it to feed their caterpillars. Dill seed and leaves are very popular as a culinary herb in many dishes, dressings and dips–if the caterpillars don’t eat them all!
https://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDet...ode=IILEP94090

Well buddy you are more than welcome to eat as much dill as you want!

Old 08-30-2023, 08:51 PM

5,939 posts, read 6,154,585 times
I've been having a hard time growing dill, but I found a swallowtail caterpillar on my flowering 2nd year parsley instead.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I've been having a hard time growing dill, but I found a swallowtail caterpillar on my flowering 2nd year parsley instead.
Yes parsley and carrot in a garden attract them as well. We’re going to out tomorrow and do a more thorough inspection and count. We were going to harvest the dill but if they’re loaded with swallowtails we’ll let ‘em go.

BTW our dill took a few years and this year wow! 6 ft tall plants and stalks as fat as a carrot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden