Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 06:40 PM

5,935 posts, read 6,154,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've been eating tomato sandwiches from the Early Girl. My summer squash does nothing and it's apparently due to the soil, as usual. Google says it takes a lot of nitrogen to make a female flower but even poor soil can produce male flowers.

Shame because I see bees inside the male flowers probably gathering pollen but there are absolutely no female flowers (no stem=female and long stem and of course a stamen=male.)

I added coffee grounds and some 10-10-10 just in case it's not too late to raise the nitrogen.
Not sure if coffee grounds will be fast acting enough, so you'll probably have to stick with nitrogen fertilizer. I'd go with ratios higher on the N rather than 10-10-10. That is assuming lack of nitrogen is the problem.

My squash in Oakville (sandy, neutral soil) are producing like gangbusters. Probably gonna have 30+ butternuts from my 5 plants. My top producing plants were started indoors April 22, transplanted May 28 (they had to be on large 1/4 gal containers), and then started setting fruit July 18 or so. But now some plants have around 8 fruit on a single plant. They need lots of sun too to produce at their full potential. I have been able to get production in part shade, but I get 3x more fruits (and less powdery mildew) in full sun.

I have 2 gardens temporarily (moved to a new house, old one still on the market) and the new house's garden (clay, slightly alkaline) was started later. Zucchini was transplanted on June 8, and has been producing well for a couple weeks now - we get enough zucchini for the family from just that one plant, usually about 2-3 per week. I also direct sowed some butternut at the new house around June 17-22. That's later than ideal since it will be cutting it close for our typical first frost of Oct 3 or so - the fruits might not have enough time to ripen fully/cure and will have to be eaten earlier than the Oakville ones (which should be able to go into long term storage despite an earlier expected harvest). The squash at the new house are still somewhat small, I'd expect them to produce only beginning on August 20 or so. I also have a couple pumpkins at the new house that sprouted out of some compost, so those started sprouting around June 10-15 I guess... I think they will start setting fruit around August 10-15, so those will be cutting it close too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 08:24 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times
Some recent pics-

I had no idea my wife was trying to grow okra here, lol. ONE okra! We'll have to fight over it, ha-ha!

We're slowly getting tomatoes. That's an Early Girl in August.

The wildflower patch is amazing. We've had so many pollinators in the garden it's just great. Honey bees, native bees, even the yellowjackets are playing nice. In all the years gardening we have never been stung or even harassed by any of them.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:34 PM

Check out the bees in this short clip- they are going NUTS!

https://youtu.be/Fo2s5O4dKCg

Old 08-02-2023, 08:45 PM

I've been stung by yellowjackets a few times, but the most common cause is that I didn't notice they had a nest in the beams of our terrace and took the gas lawnmower right by their nest which pissed them off... Other than that, just a couple other occasions where I'm not sure what set them off. And then one time I got stung by a bumblebee when I was pulling out dandelions and stuff my hand weeder and finger down what was probably the bumblebee's burrow.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:16 PM

Even though it's been hot, we've had some nice evening skies sitting out by the garden-

Until fires started west of us.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:11 AM

9,921 posts, read 7,816,056 times
I was just going to do a super small garden this year, two jalapeno plants, two red peppers and two grape tomatoes. I had bought a truckload of super good soil this spring to fill in low spots in the yard and used the rest on the garden area.

Well all of a sudden all these volunteer tomato plants started sprouting up so I let them grow. Romas, grapes and cherry tomatoes. So now I have a dozen plants, many taller than me. My cages couldn't support them all so my husband has been building frames to help support them. Haven't had red peppers yet, but eating jalapenos and tomatoes every day.

We're in SC and the weather's been hot, as typical for this time of year. We usually get a 5 minute rainstorm in the evenings.

I'll use my dehydrator to dry the extra tomatoes, seal them up and freeze them.

I also bought some netting this year and I'm putting it under the plants, but above the ground, to catch tomatoes that fall. I should've done it when they were smaller and it would've been easier. This year they just grew ridiculously fast.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:54 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,047,383 times
I think I was under watering everything, so I upped it.

I have two volunteer tomatoes, no idea what kind. And one volunteer... thing that looks like a zuke plant, but the fruit is round? Any ideas?

I picked my first egg plant today!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2023, 04:04 PM

4,200 posts, read 3,422,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think I was under watering everything, so I upped it.

I have two volunteer tomatoes, no idea what kind. And one volunteer... thing that looks like a zuke plant, but the fruit is round? Any ideas?

I picked my first egg plant today!

Probably a gourd. That's happened to us. Or a round cuke. It happens. Any photos?

Old 08-03-2023, 04:06 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Probably a gourd. That's happened to us. Or a round cuke. It happens. Any photos?
It struck me after I posted, I think it is a round zucchini. My sister gave me seeds, and none sprouted last year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2023, 08:17 PM

Round zucchini was gonna be my guess.

I got some sort of volunteer squash popping up. Trying to figure out how the seed got there because I didn't have any squash rotting in the garden last year. And it's in a spot where I don't remember putting any compost (which might've contained seeds). Maybe a squirrel dug the seed out of the compost and left it there?

The volunteer tomatoes are starting to set fruit. One of them looks like a Midnight Snack, although it's a hybrid so I'm not sure what this offspring will turn out like. The others I'm not sure yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden