Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 05:35 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
They've always gone after my snap beans, but don't really bother my cucumbers, tomatoes and squash. The damage to the snap beans is usually not too detrimental though. They seem to target mallow family plants too, like roselle and okra. If you have hibiscus, those are in the mallow family too. I think they go after grapes and roses too. Maybe hydrangea too?
They were all over my wife's Japanese Maple and the Goldflame Honeysuckle. I sprayed these with a Neem based spray yesterday that is suppose to help. I will spray the garden today.

The birds are also starting to hit my wife's snap beans. I pick on my wife because she has been picking a hand full of snap beans once a week and making a "cup of two bean soup". She has them with potato and bacon and she drinks any juice left over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 07:10 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
They were all over my wife's Japanese Maple and the Goldflame Honeysuckle. I sprayed these with a Neem based spray yesterday that is suppose to help. I will spray the garden today.

The birds are also starting to hit my wife's snap beans. I pick on my wife because she has been picking a hand full of snap beans once a week and making a "cup of two bean soup". She has them with potato and bacon and she drinks any juice left over.
I'm able to get good harvests of snap beans where I am, although those will come only later in the year. First pickings will probably be early July from bush beans, with larger quantities in the second half of July, and pole beans should begin in late July/early August with larger quantities in mid-late August. I haven't had any problems with birds eating them so far, just bugs and slugs going after young seedlings, and voles, rabbits and/or squirrels going after plants of all ages. The pods themselves aren't really targeted though.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:47 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times
A strong storm hit my wife's tomatoes last night along with knocking out power in a widespread area. She has over a dozen tomatoes on the ground with some plants stalks bent severely.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:25 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
A strong storm hit my wife's tomatoes last night along with knocking out power in a widespread area. She has over a dozen tomatoes on the ground with some plants stalks bent severely.
That sucks. I remember those days in WV. A storm would roll through and knock 1/2 the garden down.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:25 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
HELP! Due to cold, wet, clammy weather both of my tomato plants have developed black leaves.

It's a fungus of some sort and what I can find says to spray them with Neem oil, which I did, or to mix baking soda, soap, oil and water and spray them with that. Which I did. Every day when I go out there are more black curled up leaves. Now I hear it's going to rain again tomorrow. I keep cutting the black leaves off but there are always more the next day.

What can I do? Should I simply pull them up and throw them out? Is there any hope?

Old 06-21-2023, 06:14 PM

Dish soap is bad for a lot of plants so I wouldn't necessarily use that. Are you sure it's a fungus and not a nutrient deficiency or something? Do you have any pictures of how bad it looks?

Old 06-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Dish soap is bad for a lot of plants so I wouldn't necessarily use that. Are you sure it's a fungus and not a nutrient deficiency or something? Do you have any pictures of how bad it looks?
It said a little bit of dish soap would help it stick to the plant. It used a lot of baking soda. I also spread some baking soda on the ground at the base of the plant. Our weather has been unusually weird. It's been cold and damp. I know tomatoes like heat and these creepy black leaves look like a fungus. It would be from the damp cold. Now it's going to rain again and then all weekend.

I don't know how to put pictures up here but maybe I can try.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:48 PM

I looked it up and it's Alternaria or Early Blight. It says I can buy a fungicide but this is not an easy plant disease and the dampness and all the rain are what makes it worse. I'll try it although it also says I won't get many tomatoes if my plants have this disease.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:28 PM

hm, don't think I've had that before. It's been relatively cool here (70F days, 48F nights as a rough average) and my tomatoes are doing fine, although there haven't been many rain days and it's been fairly sunny.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:59 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
HELP! Due to cold, wet, clammy weather both of my tomato plants have developed black leaves.

It's a fungus of some sort and what I can find says to spray them with Neem oil, which I did, or to mix baking soda, soap, oil and water and spray them with that. Which I did. Every day when I go out there are more black curled up leaves. Now I hear it's going to rain again tomorrow. I keep cutting the black leaves off but there are always more the next day.

What can I do? Should I simply pull them up and throw them out? Is there any hope?
We're in the same state where and its interesting you said its been "wet". We've had dry spells where the soil should have dried out. Were you watering too much? Could it be another disease and not fungus?

What I would do is, cut off any bad leaf even if plant looks funky without them and throw those leaves away, NOT on the ground, near the plants, or in compost pile, throw them away.

Then, get 350mg aspirin dissolve it in 1 gallon of water and spray spray spray. Stem, on soil at base, all leaves.

The aspirin helps them fight off diseases by triggering their immune system and strengthening up. You should see the leaves green up and thicken up too

If you dont have a pump sprayer you can mix the aspirin in a 1 gallon watering can then pouring that mixture into a spray bottle. Get underside of leaves too

It's either that or resort to using chemicals to fight the disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden