Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 04:16 PM

19,896 posts, read 22,819,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
But you can do Sugar Snap peas quiet well now....
I hate shelling peas or removing strings. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze. We grow a lot of bush green beans though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 05:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,790,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I hate shelling peas or removing strings. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze. We grow a lot of bush green beans though.
That's why I liked the sugar snaps. Just stir fry them whole for those that don't get eaten raw...

Old 06-19-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
That's why I liked the sugar snaps. Just stir fry them whole for those that don't get eaten raw...
What varieties of sugar snaps don’t have strings?

Old 06-19-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
What varieties of sugar snaps don’t have strings?
I don't remember the Original Burpee Sugar Snap having strings?? I have not grown them since we left MO in the early 80's. I have seed for some this fall. We didn't get closed on this property until it was to late to plant early. I do not plant green peas for shelling either. Only those that are for stir try and whole pod cooking. I see several new varieties for snapping with no mention of stringing first. It's been years since we raised regular snap beans that had to be stringed first except for some flat roma beans.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 06-19-2022 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-20-2022, 08:09 AM

We haven’t grown snap peas in over 20 years and I may be mistaken but I recall having to pull the strings or you risk a mouthful of pea floss between your teeth, lol. I could be wrong though- it’s been a while. We grew peas a few years ago, which was against MY advice but thankfully my wife and daughter would sit at the kitchen table and shell them. Hours of labor for like 1 pot of peas.

Yeah no thanks, lol.

I’ll mention the sugar snaps to my wife. Which if I do- she’ll grow them if she can

Old 06-20-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
We got the guts of the garden irrigation system in and and wired up to the brainbox. The garden is now its' own 'zone'. Set for every other day, 45 minutes run time to start.
We just have to finish up running lines to the rest of the beds and decide what gets drip and what get's misters/and or drips. We're not going to run the main lines on top of timbers, we opted to run them along them. Each zone has a quarter turn on/off valve and we can, if needed, install flow valves on each drip line. We'll not install those unless needed. It's going to be nice to not have to run hoses and overhead sprinklers any longer. Weeding will be a little more cumbersome, but we'll get used to it.
Just a quick update. After a week or so I'd say the drip line irrigation is doing well. I'm glad we did it. It's definitely directional though- the water goes straight down- it does not spread 'out' in the soil. A few notes;

1. Had to move some of the lines closer to the plants, especially young plants which don't have a large enough root structure.

2. Based on our system- No more than 40-50ft of 1/4" drip line per tap- the water peters out any farther than that. You need to tap a new line on the 1/2" supply line.

3. For a vegetable garden- Plant in rows. Plant in rows. Plant in rows. Do not plant in oddly shaped patterns. Plant in rows. Plant in rows.

4. Buy a mega box of landscape fabric staples. Seriously. Particularly if you don't PLANT IN ROWS.

5. Rainbird products are vastly superior to Orbit. This system is basically tied to our Rainbird irrigation system, and the guys that installed our total system used Rainbird. Prior to that I had some homegrown irrigation stuff using Orbit and whatever was at the local hardware store. Rainbird connectors and taps are better quality, they don't leak at the point of tap- they're just better. I ran out of Rainbird straight connectors- 1/4" to 1/2" taps and used ONE Orbit to finish- yeah the Orbit leaks at the tap into the 1/2".

I'll be replacing the Orbit stuff around the property when they fail. And they fail A LOT.

6. It is awesome to have watering completely programmed and automatic. I can go over to the brain box, select 'Zone 11' which is the garden, extend my run time, choose days to water, length of time. It's awesome. No more schlepping hoses or futzing with those spigot mounted timers.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-20-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-20-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Just a quick update. After a week or so I'd say the drip line irrigation is doing well. I'm glad we did it. It's definitely directional though- the water goes straight down- it does not spread 'out' in the soil. A few notes;

1. Had to move some of the lines closer to the plants, especially young plants which don't have a large enough root structure.

2. Based on our system- No more than 40-50ft of 1/4" drip line per tap- the water peters out any farther than that. You need to tap a new line on the 1/2" supply line.

3. For a vegetable garden- Plant in rows. Plant in rows. Plant in rows. Do not plant in oddly shaped patterns. Plant in rows. Plant in rows.

4. Buy a mega box of landscape fabric staples. Seriously. Particularly if you don't PLANT IN ROWS.

5. Rainbird products are vastly superior to Orbit. This system is basically tied to our Rainbird irrigation system, and the guys that installed our total system used Rainbird. Prior to that I had some homegrown irrigation stuff using Orbit and whatever was at the local hardware store. Rainbird connectors and taps are better quality, they don't leak at the point of tap- they're just better. I ran out of Rainbird straight connectors- 1/4" to 1/2" taps and used ONE Orbit to finish- yeah the Orbit leaks at the tap into the 1/2".

I'll be replacing the Orbit stuff around the property when they fail. And they fail A LOT.

6. It is awesome to have watering completely programmed and automatic. I can go over to the brain box, select 'Zone 11' which is the garden, extend my run time, choose days to water, length of time. It's awesome. No more schlepping hoses or futzing with those spigot mounted timers.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the drip. One of my projects for tomorrow is to order a 1k foot roll of drip line and the connectors to get from 1/2" tube to the drip. We have enough clay that we should get some lateral spread before going down. At least that is what I see when I've used a sprinkle bucket. I've not even began to look at timers for the zone valves or protection form lightning induced surges that are so hard on digital controllers. One thing I learned to like quick about drip some years back is the not wetting the leaf surfaces that helped to prevent a lot of fungal problems on beans and tomatoes. It's late and my carriage just turned into a pumpkin with a flat tire. Goodnight everyone who has the love of playing in the dirt.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:44 AM

83,626 posts, read 75,686,410 times
Tomatoes looking amazing. One of the better years for sure. No blight, no disease, no bugs. Still no ripe ones but a lot of flowers. 6/22/22

I'm now sold on the Aspirin mix. Also more proactive on pruning for airflow and gap above soil

Mix 1 325mg tablet per gallon of water. Spray lightly on leaves and even on soil. Good at preventing insect Pests and diseases. 1st time, I'm convinced

Old 06-23-2022, 06:52 PM

My wife saw and add for Hornworms. Not to kill but a place was selling them for reptile food. Just thinking outside the sandwich here. More than one way to make a nickel maybe. They were priced at about $3 each.... And now to think of all the green goo I left on the ground going to waste.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:42 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,028,579 times
^^^ Lol you learn something new every day. $3 huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden