Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 10:21 AM

19,887 posts, read 22,803,339 times

Advertisements

Finally have some early veggies sprouting. Just in time for some snow this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 10:36 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,770,195 times
I had some time early to inspect the garden and was very satisfied with the stand of summer peas and okra. The tomatoes and squash that are growing in 5 gallon buckets as a raised bed are doing quite well also. With heavy rain due within an hour or so I'm waiting until Monday to plant Lima beans, sweet corn, cucumbers, cantaloupe and watermelons. As soon a a ridge making attachment arrives for the tiller I'll build beds for the 200 sweet potatoes plants residing in containers of water at the moment. I need to cut some bamboo for poles for the KY Blue pole beans by mid week and get them growing. A job of transplanting around 300 asparagus plants will come soon. In two years we will have our first harvest for the freezer. I started the plants in trays and have a much larger area to harvest from than if I had bought 1 year old roots. How long the harvest period here will be will dictate the size of the patch in the end. The harvest season may be so short that we will need a much larger area than we did in the Midwest. Our experience was that once the temps hit the mid 80's the asparagus would turn bitter and that was the end of the season's harvest.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:25 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,028,156 times
I found my first pea this morning.

And yes, we are getting snow this weekend.

But nothing is in the ground yet so all my pots and seedling trays get moved somewhere cozy.

My next dilemma will be when I have to leave 10 days before our last frost date..... I have to put every out and/or in ground.

I stand ready to go camping with my baby tomato and pepper plants.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2022, 06:57 AM

83,617 posts, read 75,647,164 times
Almost 7 months of heat needed here at the CT coast. Doubt this will be my last fire:

28 out of past 42 days has been below normal. Cool and Rainy has been the pattern

At least the Greens are loving this pattern

Fava Beans

Old 05-07-2022, 08:52 AM

The summer peas are thinned and the tiller is ready now to fix a spot for the Lima beans. With the fair weather I hope to have more tomatoes and peppers in the ground. Even more squash too today.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:19 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,789,947 times
It stays in the 50s here in CT for some strange reason this year. But it's time to thin the beets, and the nasturtiums are BIG. Cherry tomatoes are only about an inch tall but I transplanted the seedlings into individual pots and they seem to have grown overnight. (They're indoors on a crowded windowsill because it's way too cold to put them outside.)

Old 05-10-2022, 12:48 PM

58 posts, read 63,676 times
I have one raised bed left on my current house, I used to have like 10, but we are selling and they had to go.

Today was inspection on our new property and I found a rear corner area I'm going to use for our farm that is pretty much the same size as the property I live on now. We're going from .22 acre to 2 acre and I think farming on limited space has given me real chops, it was a challenge.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:55 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,932,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I wonder what I bought these pool foam noodles for.

Whats going in the pots?? Peppers??

Later start this year (back at work in the office ), but lettuce and chard is growing well along with berries.

Hardening my tomatoes and peppers, planted my squashes (Butternut, zucchini, pumpkin, yellow) and cucumbers in the ground yesterday afternoon - still had a FREAKING frost yesterday, 3 days in a row. SHOULD be in the clear now though.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:18 AM

83,617 posts, read 75,647,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Whats going in the pots?? Peppers?? .
Just flowers there. Not doing my peppers this year but someone is giving me 10 pepper plants because they had extras.

May 13, 2022:

Bed of Spinach, Kale, Lettuces

Fava Beans

Old 05-14-2022, 08:54 AM

I've spent from 6:30 to 9:30 this morning hand watering the long rows of summer peas (cow peas), okra, and all the berries and fruit trees. I forgot the banana tree so I'm off to take care of it before going to a big dinner on the grounds at a neighboring farm. This afternoon I hope to plant Lima beans and sweet corn. The ground has been tilled and may just need a light raking to remove the sod fragments in the row areas. I was hesitant to plant a lot of limas and peas as to the bending required to pick them. That problem got solved by a local lady that will pick them on halves. That is a good deal for us both. My land, seed, & fertilizer and her back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden