Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 05:59 AM

83,616 posts, read 75,647,164 times

Advertisements

For Blight... 4 Tablespoons Hydrogen Peroxide in 1 gallon of water

For Aphids.... 1/2 cup Canola oil, drop of dish soap in 1 gallon of water

I can say from experience this has worked amazingly for my Tomatoes, Fava Beans, and Sun Flowers.

I'm currently testing out 350mg of Aspirin dissolved in 1 gallon of water and spraying it on tomato leaves to strengthen them up to fight any diseases.

For those that don't have a pump sprayer.. Just fill a watering can or bucket with 1 gallon of water, mix your solution, then dunk an open spraying bottle into the solution and fill up the spraying bottle, then spray away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 07:57 PM

19,884 posts, read 22,803,339 times
Our spinach came up late and promptly bolted. Totally bummed.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:06 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,068,354 times
A happy sight while looking out the window yesterday at the vegetable garden: a wren flew into tomato plants and shortly after came out with a fat hornworm and spent a minute shaking it all different directions until finally flew off with it.

Last year a cardinal pair would visit tomato plants often and spend much time in them. I love the birds in our yard. They have never pecked any tomatoes or other veggies, they just want the insects. Now the rabbits...grrr..this year they started eating tomatoes, never done it before. Chicken wire has been installed like top security prison, tomatoes uneaten.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:56 AM

83,616 posts, read 75,647,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Our spinach came up late and promptly bolted. Totally bummed.
Here too!! That's funny. I think I picked spinach once before it just bolted. Sprouted in May, Bolted in May/June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
A happy sight while looking out the window yesterday at the vegetable garden: a wren flew into tomato plants and shortly after came out with a fat hornworm and spent a minute shaking it all different directions until finally flew off with it.

Last year a cardinal pair would visit tomato plants often and spend much time in them. I love the birds in our yard. They have never pecked any tomatoes or other veggies, they just want the insects. Now the rabbits...grrr..this year they started eating tomatoes, never done it before. Chicken wire has been installed like top security prison, tomatoes uneaten.
LOL at Security Prison. Protect those Tomatoes! Especially during inflation like we have. True about the birds wanting the insects not the veggies. Chipmonks and Squirrels are the criminals here. Rabbits don't bother anything.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:22 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,770,195 times
At least this year the deer aren't eating the sweet potatoes. I foiled them really good this year. I never got them planted. Nothing bothers the okra with more than 2 legs except aphids and their ant farmers and I know how to keep them doctored. The okra will be ready to start picking in another week or so. Zipper cream peas and other summer peas will start producing in another week or so too so I'll have something that will keep me out of trouble now until fall.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:42 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,026,763 times
Speaking of hornworms, I got a 2 1/2" hornworm moth off a plant this morning.
Started reading up about them. Ugh. Have never seen them before.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
At least this year the deer aren't eating the sweet potatoes. I foiled them really good this year. I never got them planted. Nothing bothers the okra with more than 2 legs except aphids and their ant farmers and I know how to keep them doctored. The okra will be ready to start picking in another week or so. Zipper cream peas and other summer peas will start producing in another week or so too so I'll have something that will keep me out of trouble now until fall.
I do miss some of the veggies we used to be able to grow like okra, field snaps etc.. not gonna happen in Montana, lol.

We had a good crop of radishes so I’m making radish/beef soup today. 2lbs of radishes, 2 lbs of beef/venison trimmings and what’s left of last years onion that are usable. And some other ‘stuff’. One of our favorite soups.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here too!! That's funny. I think I picked spinach once before it just bolted. Sprouted in May, Bolted in May/June.
We planted end of April, it took until June to start growing and we were maybe 3-4 days late on a first picking and BOOM. Gone off to the races.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:45 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,943,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I have never had any luck with spinach until this year when I tried growing perpetual spinach. It is basically a swiss chard but tastes just like spinach. It will be one of my favorite greens.

I love a variety of greens like spinach, swiss chards, broccoli rabe, pak choy and beet tops. Only swiss chards and beet tops don't bolt. Beets are my favorite because I have beet greens for spring, summer, fall and beets for summer, fall and winter. I left some beet roots in the ground last winter and dug them up last March. They were huge and still quite firm, tasty and made great pickled beets.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,770,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I do miss some of the veggies we used to be able to grow like okra, field snaps etc.. not gonna happen in Montana, lol.

We had a good crop of radishes so I’m making radish/beef soup today. 2lbs of radishes, 2 lbs of beef/venison trimmings and what’s left of last years onion that are usable. And some other ‘stuff’. One of our favorite soups.
But you can do Sugar Snap peas quiet well now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden