Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2022, 12:38 PM

83,627 posts, read 75,686,410 times

Advertisements

6 different animals within 30 hours.

I got a 1 minute video collage of it in case your interested in seeing them in action. lol

https://twitter.com/WeatherNut27/sta...80188641382403
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 1,169 times
I have planted peonies in my garden last year and now this glow great here. Peonies are perennials that come back every year to take your breath away. Peonies are particularly beneficial to skin and their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties are interesting to fight tissue aging and sooth skin rashes.

-Peony roots have antispasmodic, analgesic and sedative properties. The roots soothe digestive tract and gastric pain, help fall asleep and extend sleeping cycles.

- Peonies are recommended in cases of irritability and restlessness. Peony flowers are used to prepare a soothing syrup that is effective against coughing.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:34 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,423,158 times
We have four or five tomato plants growing in containers. Most are doing all right. But we're having an odd problem with the Roma tomato…. some of the fruits have something that looks like super blossom end rot (but no other varieties that are planted in the same container are bothered by this). And we do add calcium, etc. to the soil.

Half of certain fruits look rotted, but not all of them. Years ago we grew Romas, and some of them looked perfect from the outside, but had icky dry black stuff inside. I wonder if Romas in particular are prone to this. Anyone know?

Old 07-22-2022, 04:09 PM

19,900 posts, read 22,819,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We have four or five tomato plants growing in containers. Most are doing all right. But we're having an odd problem with the Roma tomato…. some of the fruits have something that looks like super blossom end rot (but no other varieties that are planted in the same container are bothered by this). And we do add calcium, etc. to the soil.

Half of certain fruits look rotted, but not all of them. Years ago we grew Romas, and some of them looked perfect from the outside, but had icky dry black stuff inside. I wonder if Romas in particular are prone to this. Anyone know?
We've had problems with Romas here in Montana. Same thing. A lot would have typical blossom end rot, others the insides were black. We added egg shells, tried to keep consistent watering (which was hard at times). We never had that problem with Romas in WV, but we had tons of aged hardwood mulch and really mulched our veggie garden. We hardly ever watered that garden, but we received those periodic thunderstorm downpours or heavy rains, so mulching helped to mediate the soil moisture.

According to my wife- testing the soil prior to planting can help determine if you need to add nutrients like calcium to the soil. The biggest culprit is the water. Consistent watering helps the plants maintain uptake of calcium and nutrients.

What we did is find varieties that have not produced little if any blossom end rot- Sunrise Sauce, Early Girls and I think one other variety. They do well here, and we have (in the past) had episodes where the soil can literally dry out between watering's with stiff winds coupled with heat. Or we went on vacation for a week and we didn't have automatic watering. Now that we have a drip system and it's 100% automatic, we may try Roma's again.

Here's a good article on it. https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/b...%20or%20leaves.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:47 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,423,158 times
Thanks! That helps a great deal.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:54 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,577,790 times
Default My raised bed garden this summer (pics)

My sfg raised bed garden as of this morning. It’s been really hot for upstate, NY this summer, with little rain. The garden seems to be doing fairly well, though. We were away for twelve days in the first part of July, so I had relied upon our sprinkler system to water three days a week. The bed is 4x8’. This year I kept it simple: tomatoes (x3), peppers (1), zucchini (1); basil, cilantro, parsley (1 ea.). Oregano, dill, chives, sometimes mint all usually return from the previous year. I planted a couple of marigolds as well. Already harvested the garlic (only three plants).

Old 07-23-2022, 09:08 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,790,335 times
I managed to pick the first 4 tomatoes today of which one had a crack in the skin due to heavy rains. Birds have pecked some. Others just rotting on the vine. Not a good year for tomatoes because I didn't plant on a ridge like I normally do.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:24 AM

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times
This is the first year where my larger tomatoes have NOT split.... yet.

I'm not getting much... but it's only my 2nd year trying, and the plants are doing MUCH better than last year, so I'll call it a win.

I had volunteer melons last year, so I tried melons and winter squash, and those are taking off, so I am optimistic. So far 15 kabocha....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-23-2022, 11:01 AM

221 posts, read 135,355 times
Beautiful Pictures, Beautiful Garden!! I love that you can see so many plants in a small area

Old 07-23-2022, 12:08 PM

2,491 posts, read 1,577,790 times
You can see in the picture above how large the zucchini plant is and how much room it takes in my 4x8’ bed. That’s why I usually don’t plant it. But I must say it has produced big time. We have buckets of zucchini! The peppers are supposed to turn purple so I’m waiting on them. Tomatoes always seem late; not a single red one yet, but they look healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden