Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 05:39 AM

466 posts, read 291,452 times

Advertisements

Just so we all know....

National Gardening Day on April 14 is a day of encouragement, a day created to give gardeners a shove and a shovel so that they can begin their gardening journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 06:02 AM

4,547 posts, read 3,778,506 times
I planted my sweet potato slips yesterday, okra and purple knuckle pea seeds have sprouted, luffa seeds have second leaves and the Seminole pumpkin plants are starting to vine and I’m training them up a trellis. My everglade cherry tomatoes are continuing to set fruit and are popping up where ever I put compost, oops.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:14 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,953,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's a common mistake, people see a sign of stress and think fertilizing is the answer. It's the opposite. But don't worry, gardening brings challenges and knowledge which is what's great about it.

it's also possible the soil had a disease in it but since your Cukes and Sweet peas are doing well, it's not likely. So I'm leaning towards the fertilization you did or just an unfortunate disease. Maybe bad seeds.

Because I keep a circulating fan on mine they'll dry out faster. When top inch or 2 is dry, I'll water. There is no simple answer. Depends on inside air temp, size of plant. Usually every other day but if its warm inside from sun or wood stove, its everyday I'll water.

I been trying to do bottom watering more often. Good habit to get in.
Returning to this thread about the stressed tomato plants I showed previously.

My conclusion is that I needed more light than I was providing with fluorescents, and maybe more heat too than the 70ish temps I had in the basement.

Once I got those plants outside into a small greenhouse I made, it was like - BAM - instant recovery.

Old 04-26-2022, 12:14 PM

83,617 posts, read 75,647,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Returning to this thread about the stressed tomato plants I showed previously.

My conclusion is that I needed more light than I was providing with fluorescents, and maybe more heat too than the 70ish temps I had in the basement.

Once I got those plants outside into a small greenhouse I made, it was like - BAM - instant recovery.

Light wouldn't make them wilt like that. Nice recovery though.. Maybe just was stressed from the fertilizer and they simply adjusted and accepted it after some time. No more fert! Until they're in the ground

Old 04-26-2022, 12:16 PM

83,617 posts, read 75,647,164 times
I'm only 2 weeks away from safe transplant date but it still feels like winter outside.

Praxxus Cherry

Old 04-26-2022, 01:37 PM

19,887 posts, read 22,803,339 times
Very nice looking plants!

Old 04-26-2022, 05:58 PM

24,775 posts, read 11,121,142 times
Cambium you have done it again!

Old 04-27-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Light wouldn't make them wilt like that. Nice recovery though.. Maybe just was stressed from the fertilizer and they simply adjusted and accepted it after some time. No more fert! Until they're in the ground
This problem started long before they ever got any fertilizer - and it happened twice. I'm betting on too cold and dark in my basement. My wife kept telling me they would recover once outside should have listened to her.

Starting some new ones as backup so will be interesting to see how those turn out. The good news is that now I will have an overabundance of plants, hopefully I can find some neighbors and relatives that need them.

Another project this year was to construct a small cold-frame/greenhouse.

Used some scrap lumber for the base frame and hoop supports, flexible plastic water line for the hoops, and 3 mil plastic to cover. The five gallon bucket in the middle is equipped with a 100W aquarium heater which works OK but a 200W would probably work better. With 100W the water stays around 85F.

All told might have $30 in this 40"W X 48"L X 36"H frame and heater. Glad I had it this year, here in Ohio it is still unseasonably cold - had frost here this morning on April 27.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I'm only 2 weeks away from safe transplant date but it still feels like winter outside.

Praxxus Cherry
Your plants look happy.

Here in Ohio, soil temps are 48F to 50F, so we are a long way from planting tomatoes and peppers.

We've been harvesting early spring onions already and radishes are getting there. Also have some Swiss Chard emerging, we were eating that stuff in December last year.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:46 AM

1,305 posts, read 861,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Your plants look happy.

Here in Ohio, soil temps are 48F to 50F, so we are a long way from planting tomatoes and peppers.

We've been harvesting early spring onions already and radishes are getting there. Also have some Swiss Chard emerging, we were eating that stuff in December last year.
This is the first year of being here in Ohio that I plan to plant a veggie garden. Back in the Pacific NW, I never planted tomatoes, etc until the first of June...is that about the same here? Is it ok to plant out wildflower seeds now? I just uncovered and put down compost/manure on my plot. Would love to know from those with experience in this area if my timing is right! I am in NE Ohio. Thanks for any tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden