Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times

Advertisements

The problem with this thread is that the title had the word "most" in it.

I know an American native who looks like an African American (Black person), he is a tribal member in a tribe that is strict about allowing mixed blood natives to enroll and he has an Irish last name.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL, sorry it just struck me funny this afternoon, while it's not funny that non-ndn people remain clueless about our cultures. Oh and BTW may I please add Oregon my home state plenty of ndn's there.

Oh absolutely Oregon. Sorry to have left it out. I also need to include Minnesota and Michigan! Lots of Ojibway and Santee in those places. Gotta add Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado too.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Oh absolutely Oregon. Sorry to have left it out. I also need to include Minnesota and Michigan! Lots of Ojibway and Santee in those places. Gotta add Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado too.
Yup, we are everywhere...bruahahaha..err ummm

Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
It's true. Most truly full-blooded Native Americans seem to live in places like Bolivia and Guatemala.

"Irish Cherokee" is one of the largest self identifying ethnic groups in my area.
Both of my grandmas were Cherokee, both had grandmothers on the Trail of Tears with their names on the wall. One grandfather British the other Cherokee/Irish.

As both of my grandmas told me, if you can look white you can be white.
It is only recently that it is ok to be native.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?
I tend to agree with the poster who asked you if you have ever been to Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, or Oklahoma. There are tons of Native American folks who definitely look "authentic".

Since in most places, I believe you only have to be 1/16th of the blood to carry a tribal card, that means that there is a lot of mixed blood. I had a friend a while back who was 1/8 and had blond hair and blue eyes.

Also too, there are the posers and wannabes. Check out Free Cherokee New Phoenix for an interesting take on that concept.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-25-2010, 03:44 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Both of my grandmas were Cherokee, both had grandmothers on the Trail of Tears with their names on the wall. One grandfather British the other Cherokee/Irish.

As both of my grandmas told me, if you can look white you can be white.
It is only recently that it is ok to be native.
For some reason, this post makes me wanna cry....

(I love all people regardless...if you have brown skin I love ya, if you have red skin, I love ya...if you have tan or white skin...and need to feel 'indian'...I love ya...'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krmjwPW0KFk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I tend to agree with the poster who asked you if you have ever been to Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, or Oklahoma. There are tons of Native American folks who definitely look "authentic".

Since in most places, I believe you only have to be 1/16th of the blood to carry a tribal card, that means that there is a lot of mixed blood. I had a friend a while back who was 1/8 and had blond hair and blue eyes.

Also too, there are the posers and wannabes. Check out Free Cherokee New Phoenix for an interesting take on that concept.

20yrsinBranson
Thanks for sharing that...I have a sister who's a blah blah...and she has worked on many reservations in the SE helping such and suches....

(I had to do that for privacy reasons...hers, not mine...)

Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I lived in Delaware County, OK. for 25 years. It was once the northern most border of the Cherokee Tribe. I knew nothing about Indians when I moved there except what i saw on TV. I heard the native language every day. I met a lot fo wonderful people: Cherokee, Creek, Seneca, Miamis, Peorias, etc.. I went to the powwows, ate the food, and fell in love with Oklahoma; I consdier it my second home. I also was invited into the homes and into their lives. I was absolutely horror stricken at what our illustrous BIA has done to tribes across the board from the Trail fo Tears to this day.

We think we are empoverished because of the unemployed, because of the homeless, because of the the soup kitchens? .

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:34 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Interesting, but what does this have to do with genealogy?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I lived in Delaware County, OK. for 25 years. It was once the northern most border of the Cherokee Tribe.
Nope. If you intend to be correct, you'd have to say "the northernmost border of the REMOVED Cherokee Tribe in Oklahoma."

You, and others on this Board, need to realize that the Cherokee (and Choctaw, and Chickasaw, and Creek, and "Seminole", and countless other nations) were REMOVED from their homelands by the Andrew Jackson administration. They were RELOCATED to what is now Oklahoma.

You, and others on this Board, should know that "Oklahoma" is a Choctaw word. It means "Red People" or "Red Nation." The area known as modern-day Oklahoma was originally known as "The Nations" or "The Indian Nations" because it was originally given to the American Indian Nations in perpetuity (that means forever).

In addition, you may also want to know that, again in Choctaw, the term "Oklahoma" can also mean Angry People/Nation.

FWIW,

-- Nighteyes

Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
some indians like me dont have enough indian in them to make themselves look indian l.the vast majority of my heritage is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy