Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Of course they are. They're tough as nails, generally, and pretty smart too.

How many U.S. presidents and senators have had Irish blood? Quite a few for sure. Even our current commander-in-chief is half Irish.
2 with any significant amount. Most were of Ulster Scot and English descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Of course they are. They're tough as nails, generally, and pretty smart too.

How many U.S. presidents and senators have had Irish blood? Quite a few for sure. Even our current commander-in-chief is half Irish.
Not sure where you get that. Remember, the name Obama is from his father's side. It's not O'Bama.

Surnames in Obama's mother's family:
Dunham - "English (chiefly Norfolk)" - Dunham Name Meaning & Dunham Family History at Ancestry.com
Payne - "English: variant spelling of Paine" - Payne Name Meaning & Payne Family History at Ancestry.com
Wolfley - "Americanized spelling of German Woelfle" - Wolfley Name Meaning & Wolfley Family History at Ancestry.com
Singletary - "English (Cambridgeshire)" - Singletary Name Meaning & Singletary Family History at Ancestry.com

Family of Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post

Joe Biden has significant Irish ancestry, he is half Irish. Barack Obama's Irish ancestry is very small. He is of Irish, English, Welsh, Swiss, French, Scottish and German and of course half Kenyan. It was his great-great-great-grandfather who was Irish. The Irish love Barack Obama though and are very proud that he has some Irish ancestry.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Not your fault, some people have no sense of humor.

Signed, a Polish American who appreciates a very funny Polish joke.
I've got a great sense of humour but I do get a bit tired of people always equating being Irish with alcoholism. I missed the humour in Mightyqueen's post. It just wears a bit thin sometimes as some people are very fond of stereotyping people.

There are other nationalities that love their alcohol as well but don't come in for the same stereotyping as the Irish do.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

A thousand years of torture and hunger, drove the people away from their land. A land full of beauty and wonder, was raped by the British brigands John Lennon

You think people not liking my ancestors stopped them from succeeding here in the US...I think not.
They didn't take hand outs or live on the dole but sweated blood and tears to make something of themselves and more importantly make something of their children
You evidently haven't heard the old song "Since the O'Keefe's Are on Relief," which describes how well the O'Keefes are living now that that are on Relief, new sofa, etc, etc. Very funny, and the Irish I knew laughed like hell after they sang it, because they knew not a few of their lazy countryman were doing exactly what we fume about immigrants doing now.

So, let's not get too high and mighty when giving the back of our hand to present-day immigrants. Not a few Irish came to the U.S. illegally by walking across the Canadian border. My father used to mockingly refer to my mother's Irish family as "wetbacks." However, it seems the shoe was actually on the other foot.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You evidently haven't heard the old song "Since the O'Keefe's Are on Relief," which describes how well the O'Keefes are living now that that are on Relief, new sofa, etc, etc. Very funny, and the Irish I knew laughed like hell after they sang it, because they knew not a few of their lazy countryman were doing exactly what we fume about immigrants doing now.

So, let's not get too high and mighty when giving the back of our hand to present-day immigrants. Not a few Irish came to the U.S. illegally by walking across the Canadian border. My father used to mockingly refer to my mother's Irish family as "wetbacks." However, it seems the shoe was actually on the other foot.
I was referring to MY ANCESTORS!!! Thank you very much I will get "as high & mighty" as I please when it comes to MY ANCESTORS

Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Kennedy of course (he was full Irish), Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, George H W Bush, George H Bush and Barack Obama.

All of the others have Ulster Scot ancestry. Nixon and the 2 Georges also has Ulster Scot ancestry but they also have Irish ancestry.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I was referring to MY ANCESTORS!!! Thank you very much I will get "as high & mighty" as I please when it comes to MY ANCESTORS
Thank you for that clarification. One family.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Thank you for that clarification. One family.
There were many families that pulled themselves up out of poverty, just like today you have the slackers and those that want to make something of themselves.
But that was then....this is now

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:

So called "Ulster Scots", also known as Scotch Irish, ARE Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy