Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM

402 posts, read 751,912 times

Advertisements

Review of “How the Irish Became White” « The End of Capitalism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I think of the Irish as WASCs - White Anglo-Saxon Catholics. I think the discrimination was perpetrated by the English over religious lines. Thus far, the U.S. has had one Catholic President. I think that, in 2012, there are still a lot of Protestants for whom Catholics are "weird."

I knew quite a few Irish people growing up. I would describe them as friendly enough, but not rowdy...unless they had been drinking. I think there's a big difference between Irish Catholics and Mediterranean/Latino Catholics.

During a Spring Break in grad school, a Catholic girl asked me to help her drive home to her parents' house in another state, and I went. The mother was Irish Catholic and kind of uptight. I was telling a story at the dinner table, and unconsciously said "p!$$ed off" in describing the interactions in the story. Before bedtime, this girl came into the guest room and said that, while she was doing dishes with her Mom, the Mom told her I had said "p!$$ed off" 3 TIMES. I thought to myself, "Your daddy makes good money, why doesn't he get me an air ticket back?" Sheez! My parents would have just laughed. We always told jokes at the dinner table.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-14-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Because the Irish could see the little people, an no one else could. My maternal great grandparents were Irish. They didn't take guff from anyone, and were helpful to those in need.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Most Irish and Irish descent people (at least the ones I know) have a great sense of humor, very sarcastic even. They don't take anything too seriously. Maybe that is why I do not get along with people who have no sense of humor, I got no use for people that can't take a joke.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think of the Irish as WASCs - White Anglo-Saxon Catholics. I think the discrimination was perpetrated by the English over religious lines. Thus far, the U.S. has had one Catholic President. I think that, in 2012, there are still a lot of Protestants for whom Catholics are "weird."

I knew quite a few Irish people growing up. I would describe them as friendly enough, but not rowdy...unless they had been drinking. I think there's a big difference between Irish Catholics and Mediterranean/Latino Catholics.

During a Spring Break in grad school, a Catholic girl asked me to help her drive home to her parents' house in another state, and I went. The mother was Irish Catholic and kind of uptight. I was telling a story at the dinner table, and unconsciously said "p!$$ed off" in describing the interactions in the story. Before bedtime, this girl came into the guest room and said that, while she was doing dishes with her Mom, the Mom told her I had said "p!$$ed off" 3 TIMES. I thought to myself, "Your daddy makes good money, why doesn't he get me an air ticket back?" Sheez! My parents would have just laughed. We always told jokes at the dinner table.
My mom told me about when she and family went to visit the family in Iowa. She befriended a little girl and played with her outside, the two on their own, without any comment. But then she invited the little girl into her aunt's house for milk and cookies. Her aunt said no, and the little girl went away not surprised. My mom was upset. Her aunt just said, but she's catholic... I'm not much for any of the conventional religions (I'm pagan) but I think its one of those things pushed down between the cracks where its not seen or heard much but is still there.

I have relatives who would be just as uncomfortable with that phrase, and watch what I might inadvertainly say around them out of respect. They aren't catholic, nor are the fundamantist christian. There are a lot of people who are put off by what they consider disrespectful language who are of a lot of religions or none at all.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
At the present time more than 50% of the population of the six counties of Northern Ireland are descendents of the Scots and English brought over to surplant the native, Catholic Irish at the time of the Plantation of Ulster.

They have been there for about four hundred years now. The entire reason for their importation as colonists was their anti-Catholicism and their loyalty to the English monarchy. This is a heritage that most of them have not forsaken, however it is difficult for me to see them after this length of time as a "still-present invader."

Had the boundaries of Northern Ireland been drawn on the basis of the continguous population majority of these descendents, Northern Ireland would have been smaller, but would have had a very small RC population. Unfortunately it was ramjammed through on the basis of entire counties basis, which has meant that it ended up including a large minority of very unhappy Irish RC's, and that minority has continued to grow as a proportion of the population. The reason that Northern Ireland does not include the other three counties of the province of Ulster is that in the headiest moments of Protestant Unionist nationalism the wisest heads saw that adding these three heavily Catholic counties would make the viability of the Northern Ireland state highly unlikely, given the already large Catholic minority in the other six counties. Thus, they were reluctantly not included.
The reason it's a continuing problem is because the bigotry by English and Scots and their descendants complete with institutional prejudice and brutality continues to this day. Peace won't come while the descendants of erstwhile invaders continue to harm their unwilling hosts.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I find your father's posture eminently understandable, and totally American based on my experience.

I grew up in a Catholic family in the U.S. in the Forties and Fifties...church every Sunday, etc. I could never understand those people who called themselves Protestants, and yet never, never darkened the door of a church until the day their coffin was brought through it.

But it was clearly part of their heritage to be "Protestant," i.e. - Not-Catholic (and, of course, Not-Jewish.)
Protestants who don't practice their faith or who don't take their faith seriously tend to identify as agnostics, or convert to atheism. It is only Catholics who I see today who don't take their faith seriously yet still identify with it.

I don't find anything about catholicism to be American. The united states was founded by colonists trying to escape the catholic church. I admit though, I try to distance myself from the Irish and Czech (catholic) ancestries of my father. I view those as ancestries as somewhat inferior to the English and German Protestant ancestries of my mother.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,135 times
When I was a child some of the kids would call me a MIC (the ethnic slur for the Irish). I am also of Peruvian, French, English, Inca, and I found out a few years ago African descent which didn't surprise me at all.

I was frequently called a ~MICSPIC~ a combination of ethnic slurs for the Irish & Spanish. Mom & Dad taught me to be proud of who I am and where my family came from and that the people who used ethnic slurs were just ignorant, racist, full of fear and hate. I didn't pay them any attention and always stood proud which really drove the kids who called me names nuts, eventually they stopped....

I was and have always been proud of my heritage|ethnicity|nationality, so I never hesitated to tell anyone who asked. People frequently mistook me for Italian descent (I probably could have avoided the ethnic slurs), but I always quickly informed them of my diverse heritage...

Erin go Bragh!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You have to understand the Irish are defending their country from a still-present invader that has been incredibly cruel and murderous towards the Irish for centuries.
Ulster forever.

(Hopefully this will clue you in that I don't need a lecture. )

Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
"Catholicism" ranked a distant third to "non-English", at least in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy