U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 AM
 
8,134 posts, read 4,460,899 times
Reputation: 8756

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
To say Brits are not Celtic but the Welsh, Scots are, I am confused like saying Chief Sitting Bull is not American. I guess she meant the English
celts are not a race or people but a way of life that was embrace from other people living in the area. they claim there is no percise celts dna but just of others that lived in the area that pickup their lifestyle.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31905764
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,226 posts, read 12,825,124 times
Reputation: 10451
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
celts are not a race or people but a way of life that was embrace from other people living in the area. they claim there is no percise celts dna but just of others that lived in the area that pickup their lifestyle.

DNA study shows Celts are not a unique genetic group - BBC News
The article says that people in Scotland and Cornwell are more English than Celtic. The study was specific to the UK, NOT Ireland, where there would be the most genetically pure Celts. From what I can tell, it is not conclusive that there is no Celtic race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 02:04 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 660,421 times
Reputation: 990
The Britis are not really mongrel . England is 75% Brythonic(Celt in this discussion) while Scotland is prob 85% Brythonic and Wales 99% so Britain, as Ireland, is 90% on average is non Germanic, so today's Brits as was George Washington basically 80% Brythonic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Status: "Love you more than anything." (set 1 day ago)
 
1,515 posts, read 781,445 times
Reputation: 2111
This is true my english ancestry is very Kentish (Jutes and so on) so I should be a bit more germanic plus I have actual german ancestors on paternal and maternal side.
But I only came up as 4.4 percent german on 23andme My euro ancestry was predominantly british and irish,I think if my english ancestry were that Jutish/Frisian/germanic it would show up more but then again 23andme onky dates the last 500 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 07:10 AM
 
1,031 posts, read 660,421 times
Reputation: 990
Interesting post, also Kent is an old British name as is the Thames (named after a God) though we have a Germanic tongue ( with Latin and French and British words)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 04:11 PM
 
859 posts, read 750,980 times
Reputation: 1171
I certainly had some surprised via testing DNA with my own tests and those of relatives. I've identified I have at least two Sub-Saharan African ancestors, very likely slaves exported via the slave trade from West or Central Africa. One was an African male (identified via cousins Y DNA tests) and the black and white racial intermixing and "passing" happened sometime in the 1600s or early 1700s.

I also have confirmed distant Native American ancestry, probably from an ancestor Andrew M Russell who came from South Carolina, possibly from the Darlington Co., SC region near where various tri-racial peoples have been recorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 7,727,073 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
The Britis are not really mongrel . England is 75% Brythonic(Celt in this discussion) while Scotland is prob 85% Brythonic and Wales 99% so Britain, as Ireland, is 90% on average is non Germanic, so today's Brits as was George Washington basically 80% Brythonic
Well firstly you have to define what you mean by "mongrel". Britain (England+Wales+Scotland) is not as a whole even 75% Brythonic (Celtic)! At least 30% of the British genome is Germanic, so about 70% Brythonic, while in eastern parts of England, it is even lower.
George Washington despite being mostly of English ancestry, had French and Dutch ancestry too, so we couldn't say that he was 80% Brythonic. Though he had red hair, blue eyes, pale skin, a pigmentation combination which would be more common amogst the English than the French or Dutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 7,727,073 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Interesting post, also Kent is an old British name as is the Thames (named after a God) though we have a Germanic tongue ( with Latin and French and British words)
English is not the only Germanic tongue with French words, Dutch and Flemish also have French words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:00 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 7,727,073 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The article says that people in Scotland and Cornwell are more English than Celtic. The study was specific to the UK, NOT Ireland, where there would be the most genetically pure Celts. From what I can tell, it is not conclusive that there is no Celtic race.
It's Cornwall not Cornwell by the way! Cornwall is still mostly Celtic in comparison to the rest of England, but not as Celtic as Wales. The Cornish have received more Germanic admixture than the Welsh. It really depends what we mean by "Celtic" race, in Britain, Celtic was meant to call the pre - Roman people of Britain who were simple Celtic speakers. As with "Germanic" or "Slavic" races, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:02 PM
 
4,690 posts, read 7,727,073 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
This is true my english ancestry is very Kentish (Jutes and so on) so I should be a bit more germanic plus I have actual german ancestors on paternal and maternal side.
But I only came up as 4.4 percent german on 23andme My euro ancestry was predominantly british and irish,I think if my english ancestry were that Jutish/Frisian/germanic it would show up more but then again 23andme onky dates the last 500 years.
Yes indeed. Kent, East Anglia, midlands have the highest Germanic admixture in England, due to the fact that these were the regions where the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians first settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top