Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times

Advertisements

Ok, first let me say this is my first time in this section and I have never really thought much about this until a few minutes ago when I was thinking about something interesting to put on a 'personal' buisness card besides my name,number, email, etc. You know the type of card I could give out in a first encounter.
Then suddenly, I recalled that during my childhood, my mother once ordered and placed a very stylish and impressive door knocker shaped in the Coat of Arms or family crest of our last name. At the time, We proudly displayed it on the front door of our house. It didnt have any offense that it's genealogy was Scottish but we were African American.
So now I wonder if it would be odd for a black person to have this emblem of scottish genealogy on a buisness card. I will say that it is definitely attractive/impressive symbol and am not personally offended by it but obviously wouldnt want it to be offensive.
I guess my own thoughts are that who and what I am today is a result of my entire genealogy. This doesnt mean that I approve of everything that has happened in history but I do like me!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
My very first quick impression is that it might be odd for anyone to have a coat of arms on their business card unless it related to their business. I'm saying this without thinking it through though. In some cases you have to have permission to use a crest or coat of arms but I don't know what those cases are.

Most people today don't put much stock in coats of arms--not that I know of in this country anyway.

I think I have a few that supposedly my ancestral family used and theoretically I would be allowed to use them--but for me it's mostly just for fun or interest. Maybe if my parents had belonged to some Scottish clan it would be more meaningful but in my case it's in a long distant past and so much else has been mixed in that it doesn't really apply to me. I just don't feel connected to any of it.

Now if I were selling Scottish tartans or Scottish scones I think I'd grab one of those official crests and use it because it might give me some more credibility. Maybe I'd feel like I was faking it a little bit but for my business purposes, okay. What would you hope to gain by using the coat of arms?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
I should clarify that this card is for PERSONAL use; to give out to acquaintances but not for buisness purposes The idea came to me when I was trying of something to stylize the card a bit from just having my name and contact info. I looked on the net for examples of designs but was turned off by the generic artwork so wanted something more personal or unique.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
If you are proud of your Scottish ancestry, and this is a big part of how you view yourself, then yes. Otherwise, no. It has no meaning; it does not tell anyone anything pertinent about yourself.

I am sure there is something in your life that you are proud of, that you could use as a source for your personal cards.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
My first thought is that you should make sure it is an actually awarded C-o-A because if someone found it was not, even for the use you expressed, there could be a serious negative backlash. On the Internet I have found three different ones for my family and when I researched to see which one was correct, I found my ancestors had never qualified for one. On the other hand, if you find it is legit, go for it and if anyone has a problem with it, it is their problem, not yours, and the color of your skin should have no bearing on it whatsoever!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Ok, first let me say this is my first time in this section and I have never really thought much about this until a few minutes ago when I was thinking about something interesting to put on a 'personal' buisness card besides my name,number, email, etc. You know the type of card I could give out in a first encounter.
Then suddenly, I recalled that during my childhood, my mother once ordered and placed a very stylish and impressive door knocker shaped in the Coat of Arms or family crest of our last name. At the time, We proudly displayed it on the front door of our house. It didnt have any offense that it's genealogy was Scottish but we were African American.
So now I wonder if it would be odd for a black person to have this emblem of scottish genealogy on a buisness card. I will say that it is definitely attractive/impressive symbol and am not personally offended by it but obviously wouldnt want it to be offensive.
I guess my own thoughts are that who and what I am today is a result of my entire genealogy. This doesnt mean that I approve of everything that has happened in history but I do like me!
There isn't anything wrong with doing so since it is a part of your heritage.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
they could but thanks to the one drop rule which still pretty much kind of influences things, they probably couldn't without some sort of hassle

Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,217 times
sure do whatever you want

Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Funny you should ask. It's not always black people who have an issue with acknowledging mixed genetic heritage. On one of the DNA service websites a black woman was recently posting about how when she contacts people who are confirmed genetic cousins , a lot of the white folks won't communicate with her.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Of course you should!! It sounded very important to your family, and it seems it's still important to you -- I think it would be a terrific conversation-opener, because I know if I saw a Coat of Arms logo on someone's card, it would surely grab my attention, and I'd definitely ask about it! Display with pride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy