Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Subscription price page

World explorer $34.99 month or $149 year, says save $60 but that doesn't look like a sale price to me
That’s the usual price. Subscriptions go on sale occasional, but not often. They get you with the dna kit and then tell you all the juicy secrets with hints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 08:56 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
World explorer $34.99 month or $149 year, says save $60 but that doesn't look like a sale price to me
That's $149 for 6-months.

Back on November 11th of last year I got the 6-month World Explorer membership for $79.92, which included all the tax and fees they add on.

Not sure if you will see that price before now and November, but if people can wait until then, I'm sure they will have the $79.92 price or something similar come the Holiday season.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 AM

23,868 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's $149 for 6-months.

Back on November 11th of last year I got the 6-month World Explorer membership for $79.92, which included all the tax and fees they add on.

Not sure if you will see that price before now and November, but if people can wait until then, I'm sure they will have the $79.92 price or something similar come the Holiday season.
Thanks, I'll be waiting for sure.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Came on here to see if the current Amazon Prime Day specials were any good & I'm surprised there isn't any mention of them, they are scheduled to end tonight I think. A Prime membership may be needed but there is a free trial that can be cancelled after ordering I understand.

23andMe DNA Test - Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service $100

AncestryDNA: Genetic Ethnicity Test $49

AncestryDNA: Genetic Ethnicity + Traits $69

The first two are a 50% discount, I was wondering if that was a typical cut & if there is any consensus to spending the extra $$ for the 23&Me test, is it worth it considering their smaller subscriber base (& if I already have an Ancestry account)?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Subscription price page

No.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:35 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
I don't know know how many records Ancestry has from Ireland. Haven't done much research on my Irish ancestors. I know my Great-Grandma's exact date of birth, County she came from, year of immigration, her father's name and year of birth/death, and only her mother's first name and approximate year of birth. How good are Ancestry's Irish records? Don't know if it would be worth the money.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I don't know know how many records Ancestry has from Ireland. Haven't done much research on my Irish ancestors. I know my Great-Grandma's exact date of birth, County she came from, year of immigration, her father's name and year of birth/death, and only her mother's first name and approximate year of birth. How good are Ancestry's Irish records? Don't know if it would be worth the money.
They have about 200 Irish collections (though some of those are not specific only to Ireland).

Old 07-16-2019, 07:18 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I’ve got a giant Irish brick wall that they haven’t been able to break for me with the world explorer subscription. Many of their Irish records are the same as familysearch.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 AM

936 posts, read 824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I’ve got a giant Irish brick wall that they haven’t been able to break for me with the world explorer subscription. Many of their Irish records are the same as familysearch.
Irish ancestry can be hard to trace. Did you know that Ireland's national archives burned in 1922 during the Irish Civil War? Millions and millions of important records were lost. But there are a few ways around it.

See https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit....ds-burned.html

By the way, this is also why there isn't an 1890 US census. The US archives caught fire in 1921. Thankfully, the fire was contained only to the rooms that held the 1890 census. It would have been a genealogical disaster is the whole building had been destroyed.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 AM

23,868 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Irish ancestry can be hard to trace. Did you know that Ireland's national archives burned in 1922 during the Irish Civil War? Millions and millions of important records were lost. But there are a few ways around it.

See https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit....ds-burned.html

By the way, this is also why there isn't an 1890 US census. The US archives caught fire in 1921. Thankfully, the fire was contained only to the rooms that held the 1890 census. It would have been a genealogical disaster is the whole building had been destroyed.
This site is good for census, marriage, church and land records. I used it years ago and will use it again to find more info for my sons 3rd great grandparents and their parents now that we know their names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy