Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Happy DNA day. Too bad 23 and me isn't allowing uploads today. I was ready! Darn...
I thought I read their database numbers (23andMe) just passed 10 million, so they probably thought that last year was a "one off" and enough.

23andMe Has More Than 10 Million Customers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I thought I read their database numbers (23andMe) just passed 10 million, so they probably thought that last year was a "one off" and enough.

23andMe Has More Than 10 Million Customers
Thanks for sharing the article. I'll be shocked if My Heritage doesn't give ancestry a run for their money within the next few years. I also wouldn't doubt they may also sell Y and mtDNA at some point. Their working to take over the market.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I did their surveys for quite a while but have stopped recently just because I got tired of it. And they always said I have completed more surveys than 90% of the members. Wow, that means people just aren't bothering. I was hoping to contribute to research but it's not much good with those low numbers.

Happy DNA Day to all!
I stopped a couple years ago.

Seems to me 23andMe is a better buy than FamilyTreeDNA because 23andMe has a low inclusive price while FTDNA wants to charge separately for Y DNA and mtDNA, etc. Does ancestry have a price for all services or do they break it down?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I stopped a couple years ago.

Seems to me 23andMe is a better buy than FamilyTreeDNA because 23andMe has a low inclusive price while FTDNA wants to charge separately for Y DNA and mtDNA, etc. Does ancestry have a price for all services or do they break it down?
Ancestry, My Heritage and 23 and me only do autoosomal DNA, which is what FTDNA does for family finder. 23 and me and Ancestry both charge $99 for it which is steep but ancestry at least goes on sale multiple times per year while 23 and me rarely goes on sale.

23 and me is the only one to offer health unless you upload your raw DNA from one of the other companies to Promethease for under $20

As for Y-DNA and mtDNA FTDNA is the only company doing them right now but as I said, I feel that will change in the coming years as I wouldn't doubt my heritage may decide to jump in that game too

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM
bjh

^^ I have 23andMe and FTDNA, but the FTDNA is family finder and keeps trying to sell me Y and mtDNA separately. IIRC the price becomes ridiculous. I take it from you ancestry's fee gives all info and doesn't try to sell different aspects separately.

Not sure why you say FTDNA is the only one doing Y and mtDNA when 23 and me does and ancestry likely does too.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Not sure why you say FTDNA is the only one doing Y and mtDNA when 23 and me does and ancestry likely does too.
23andMe does Y-DNA?

I thought the only two products you can buy from 23andMe are either Ancestry Service for $99 or Heath+Ancestry Service for $199.

https://www.23andme.com/compare-dna-tests/

I don't see anything but these two types of tests to buy, no specific Y-DNA or mtDNA. Yes, 23andMe does give you your Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups, but I don't think those are that super in depth, like what Family Tree offers, with the Y-37, Y-67, Y-111, Big Y-700, mtDNA Plus and mtFull Sequence.

Ancestry only sells one type of kit, and it's for autosomal DNA and they DON'T give you your Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups.

Family Tree started off as just a Y-DNA and mtDNA company, I believe, then got into autosomal like Ancestry and 23andMe. Maybe in the future both 23andMe and Ancestry will start to offer in-depth Y-DNA and mtDNA testing like FTDNA, but maybe they don't really see it as a money maker now.

I think we might both be talking about two slightly different things, the general Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups vs. in depth, which is a lot more expensive sequencing for your entire mtDNA and a large amount of short tandem repeats (STRs) on
the Y chromosome.

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-26-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
23andMe do not have dedicated Y or mtDNA tests - they merely provide Y and mtDNA haplogroups. NOT the same as a dedicated Y or mtDNA test such as available at FTDNA.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:28 AM

672 posts, read 503,772 times
Ancestry did offer mtDNA and Y-DNA tests up until 2014, but did away with them because there was not a big demand for them. They were not selling for ANcestry like they had hope. At the time they didn't even have 2 million people yet in their database for the atDNA testing. Now they have 15 million people in the database. I don't think they ever thought it would grow that fast in 5 years.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Ancestry did offer mtDNA and Y-DNA tests up until 2014, but did away with them because there was not a big demand for them. They were not selling for ANcestry like they had hope. At the time they didn't even have 2 million people yet in their database for the atDNA testing. Now they have 15 million people in the database. I don't think they ever thought it would grow that fast in 5 years.
Thanks, that's what I thought that they used to offer them.

I knew doing DNA would get popular, especially for adopted people.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:49 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
23andMe does Y-DNA?

I thought the only two products you can buy from 23andMe are either Ancestry Service for $99 or Heath+Ancestry Service for $199.

https://www.23andme.com/compare-dna-tests/

I don't see anything but these two types of tests to buy, no specific Y-DNA or mtDNA. Yes, 23andMe does give you your Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups, but I don't think those are that super in depth, like what Family Tree offers, with the Y-37, Y-67, Y-111, Big Y-700, mtDNA Plus and mtFull Sequence.

Ancestry only sells one type of kit, and it's for autosomal DNA and they DON'T give you your Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups.

Family Tree started off as just a Y-DNA and mtDNA company, I believe, then got into autosomal like Ancestry and 23andMe. Maybe in the future both 23andMe and Ancestry will start to offer in-depth Y-DNA and mtDNA testing like FTDNA, but maybe they don't really see it as a money maker now.

I think we might both be talking about two slightly different things, the general Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups vs. in depth, which is a lot more expensive sequencing for your entire mtDNA and a large amount of short tandem repeats (STRs) on
the Y chromosome.
I think you're right. I see what is meant now by the Y and mt tests on ancestry.com vs 23andMe. Thank for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy