Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times

Advertisements

Thrombosis of Veins in Left Arm Caused by being Struck by Lightning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
"Diabetic Coma, Uncontrolled Diabets, Upper Respiratory Infection"

Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've come across apoplexy quite a few times. I'm not entirely sure what it means, because I think it was sometimes used for different things. I thought it meant a stroke.
It is usually an old-fashioned term for stroke.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,709 times
My grandmother's cousin was widowed in the 1940's when he fell into a vat of cooking Spam (yes, the lunch meat in a can stuff) at the Swifts Plant in my hometown. He was literally cooked to death; the story was all that they recovered were the bones.

That story pretty well turned me off Spam.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
My grandmother's cousin was widowed in the 1940's when he fell into a vat of cooking Spam (yes, the lunch meat in a can stuff) at the Swifts Plant in my hometown. He was literally cooked to death; the story was all that they recovered were the bones.

That story pretty well turned me off Spam.
Wow that sounds really gruesome! But is this a story or is this something you have actual proof of? I'm not saying your lying or anything so please don't get upset.. I have been doing family research for 9 years..and found lots of crazy stories running through not only my family but others I have done research for and found very few of them to be true. Ya gotta watch these family stories all though they sound interesting but when investigated they are false.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,223 times
I have found my 5th great grandfathers death certificate and on it..it stated cause of death was "Senility" well naturally I had to look this up to see what it meant.. was he senile or was this something else.. so what it means is..(he had Alzheimer's is a common form of dementia (senility). Of course back then they wouldn't have known what that really was so they called it Senility. "Senile dementia" is a colloquial term first used in the early 1900s to describe dementia related to the aging process). And here I had thought he was just crazy!

I have a book from the Local Library in Omaha NE on this..And of course this wasn't unusual back then but.. I have a cousin David Colbert McCanles that was killed by Wild Bill Hickok.. they were called The McCanles Gang or McCandless Gang were known as an outlaw gang in the early 1860s that was wanted for alleged train robbery, murder, bank robbery, cattle rustling, and horse theft. In 1861 some of its alleged members were killed by Wild Bill Hickok although many claimed they were innocent and their only crime was to cross paths with Hickok. Hickok, along with Wellman and J. W. "Doc" Brink, were charged with the murders.When the case was brought to trial Monroe McCanles was not permitted by the judge to testify and the court heard only the account given by the station employees. The judge ruled the defendants acted in self defense.
From the DeWitt Times News as told by the foreman of the company stations:
"At the time of this affair I was at a station farther west and reached this station just as Wild Bill was getting ready to go to Beatrice for his trial. He wanted me to go with him and as we started on our way, imagine my surprise and uncomfortable feeling when he announced his intention of stopping at the McCanles home. I would have rather been somewhere else, but Bill stopped. He told Mrs. McCanles he was sorry he had to kill her man then took out $35.00 and gave it to her saying: ‘This is all I have, sorry I do not have more to give you.’ We drove on to Beatrice and at the trial, his plea was self-defense, no one appeared against him and he was cleared. The trial did not last more than fifteen minutes".

Last edited by wolfeyes; 03-11-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Measles. Maybe not so unusual a 100 years ago.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,744 times
Few years ago someone in my area decided to hold a hibachi BBQ in his closet. I don't think I have seen a stranger death / suicide.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Wow that sounds really gruesome! But is this a story or is this something you have actual proof of? I'm not saying your lying or anything so please don't get upset.. I have been doing family research for 9 years..and found lots of crazy stories running through not only my family but others I have done research for and found very few of them to be true. Ya gotta watch these family stories all though they sound interesting but when investigated they are false.
I have heard of similar stories about workers falling into industrial sized meat mincing / shredding machines before.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I have heard of similar stories about workers falling into industrial sized meat mincing / shredding machines before.
Those accidents do happen. As do deaths in the logging industry when someone falls into a debarking machine, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy