Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times

Advertisements

I'd check out Burlington, VT, Portland, ME or Ithaca, NY. Sound more your speed.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Your other thread seems a bit conflicting with this thread in terms of what you want. Vtr mentioned a few places, from what I had researched they too are on the artsy side but nothing like what the bigger metros will offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Your other thread seems a bit conflicting with this thread in terms of what you want. Vtr mentioned a few places, from what I had researched they too are on the artsy side but nothing like what the bigger metros will offer.
I've been scratching my head over WestCoastDreamer's want-list too! And I really really like to help people.

So here is the thing: Unless you have millions of dollars in spare cash and can afford to transplant to your beloved West Coast OR buy multiple residences....Something Has to Give.

Weather? or????

Time to make some tough choices.

Also, time to drop some preconceived notions.

The South will indeed be hot and sticky in the summer, but nice and balmy in the winter. If you chose wisely you may be able to escape to near-by mountains for some relief in the warmer months.The ocean breezes off of the Atlantic can also help if you can afford it. The trade-off may be hurricane season. Or just visit family in the north?

Also. since you keep mentioning the "diversity" issue. The South gets a bad rap. Please! Ever actually been to Atlanta? If you are a "mixed" couple no one will bat an eye. Really.

We also need to talk about town size at this point. People in SMALL TOWNS north, south, midwest, west coast, WHERE EVER, will TALK about you. About your religion. About your business. About your finances. Why? Because they are BORED.Because they live in a small town. Duh.

Want to avoid that? Pick a larger city. Any location. Want a smaller, homier town? Learn to deal with it. Learn to smile and nod and say "Is that so? Why thank-you" and walk away.

In conclusion, if I was the OP, I'd just google college towns up and down the Eastern seaboard and make some road-trips this summer. Pick a place that feels like home. A college town ~should~ hit ~80% of your wants (liberal, diverse, cultured) and needs (employment, decent schools).

Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited by plaidmom; 12-13-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 AM

119 posts, read 339,749 times
Hi all,

Man, some spirited responses this time around! Please understand that I don't mean any offense in anything I've said thus far. No reason to get defensive. I'm not familiar with Atlanta, so I have no comment on it. You're right though, plaidmom, I'll need to take some road trips. I'd hoped people could actually mention some specific cities that might fit the bill instead of just saying "Pick some college towns and go visit them." To borrow your phrase: duh! Of course! Anyone have some specific towns that might, um, fit the bill?

Also, BVitamin, I'm not sure how my other thread conflicts with this one. Just looking for a nice, welcoming town big enough where a writer/editor (my career) could find jobs that's not two hundred light years away from the East Coast.

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I'd check out Burlington, VT, Portland, ME or Ithaca, NY. Sound more your speed.
Thanks, vter, that's what I'm talking about: specific list of towns. I think, unfortunately, that all of those towns are too cold for me. I don't mind admitting that I am a big baby about cold weather. Grew up with it all my life, time to move on. Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,346 times
To the OP, WestCoastDreamer:

How important is winter sunshine to your family?

I am sure you know that the pacific northwest will fill most of your wants with three exceptions---
- You are trading snow and bitter cold for gray and overcast with misty rain 9 months (and spectacular WOW summers for 3 months, that start late, and end around the start of October.
- A significant number of people who move to Portland or Seattle end up leaving due to the lack of sun during the winter, thus locals usually wait to make friends with newbies to see if the newbies will last more than 4 or 5 years; its called the PNW Freeze. People are friendly, but long time to build close-tight friendships.
- The Pacific coast is wonderful to walk along, but water temp is fine for sea lions, not so much for your family's enjoyment; it is just plain COLD!

BTW: Have you ever gotten a copy of Portland's own Literary Magazine, Glimmer Train?
Glimmer Train Press Store

Also, have you ever looked into the very northern stretch of California Highway 101? Eureka, CA; Arcata, CA or any other small town on the Hombotd / Arcata bays in Northern California? (From what little I know, this area really needs a lot of research on your part; sleepy throw-back communities with its own problems.) Albeit, California taxes.

This of course is based on your post that you're self employed as a writer, and don't need employment.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
To the OP, WestCoastDreamer:

How important is winter sunshine to your family?

I am sure you know that the pacific northwest will fill most of your wants with three exceptions---
- You are trading snow and bitter cold for gray and overcast with misty rain 9 months (and spectacular WOW summers for 3 months, that start late, and end around the start of October.
- A significant number of people who move to Portland or Seattle end up leaving due to the lack of sun during the winter, thus locals usually wait to make friends with newbies to see if the newbies will last more than 4 or 5 years; its called the PNW Freeze. People are friendly, but long time to build close-tight friendships.
- The Pacific coast is wonderful to walk along, but water temp is fine for sea lions, not so much for your family's enjoyment; it is just plain COLD!

BTW: Have you ever gotten a copy of Portland's own Literary Magazine, Glimmer Train?
Glimmer Train Press Store

Also, have you ever looked into the very northern stretch of California Highway 101? Eureka, CA; Arcata, CA or any other small town on the Hombotd / Arcata bays in Northern California? (From what little I know, this area really needs a lot of research on your part; sleepy throw-back communities with its own problems.) Albeit, California taxes.

This of course is based on your post that you're self employed as a writer, and don't need employment.
Thanks, philwithbeard. I do like sunshine, so I think the PNW is probably out. San Francisco is probably about as north as I'd want to go. I've heard of Glimmer Train, but never looked at it; will have to, thanks.

I would have to find employment, I'm not self-employed. Usually, writer/editors congregate in bigger cities, so I'm thinking those little outposts along the Humboldt/Arcata Bays are probably not for me (though I have a family friend whose son lives in Humboldt County and loves it). Thanks!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM

323 posts, read 529,327 times
I understand your post. I am in similar circumstances. Hate the cold weather, but require diversity, progressive thinking, and a decent neighborhood, with universities a drive away - I am still researching - but everything keeps coming back to California. The challenge is trying to get a good spot and job while all the political, economical stuff is going on there. Stay positive, believe a place exist

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
I understand your post. I am in similar circumstances. Hate the cold weather, but require diversity, progressive thinking, and a decent neighborhood, with universities a drive away - I am still researching - but everything keeps coming back to California. The challenge is trying to get a good spot and job while all the political, economical stuff is going on there. Stay positive, believe a place exist
Yeah, it keeps coming back CA for me, too. I just wish it wasn't SO far away from my family. I always thought of myself as growing into old age surrounded by family. I wish they'd all move out there with me. Thanks for your post and let's both keep the faith that it'll work out.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM

801 posts, read 2,567,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Yeah, it keeps coming back CA for me, too. I just wish it wasn't SO far away from my family. I always thought of myself as growing into old age surrounded by family. I wish they'd all move out there with me. Thanks for your post and let's both keep the faith that it'll work out.

Good luck, really and truly. I might be "settling" on Evanston, IL, Oak Park, or the northern neighborhoods of Chicago. I want to be within two hours drive of family, in a liberal STATE (not just a liberal municipality), and at least for the next year I still need to be able to commute once or twice a month to Indiana for a job assignment.

At least I'll have Lake Michigan's beaches, the gay community in Chicago's Lakeview, the museums and aquarium and zoos, a long summer with really nice warm weather, and the college town of Madison fairly near.

But, when I think of weather and natural beauty, all things considered, California, the Pacific Northwest, or something on the eastern seaboard around Washington, DC or southward would be perfect. The West Coast would be 2,000 miles from loved ones though; and the East Coast would be 1,000 miles.

I like New York, but its cold. I like the independent thinking along the northern New England seaboard, but their winters and ruggedness might just be too much for me. I appreciate the young progressive community in Denver, and have friends who love Salt Lake City, but they just seem too far.

Every time I've been to Chattanooga and northern Georgia, the air and the weather just feel amazing to me. I have no idea why, but it feels good there. As soon as I hit Atlanta, though, the summers just get too hot for me.

Life is full of compromises. I think the best one can do is to live in a place you at least highly like 60-70 or more percent of the time, and to often spend time in the other places you love, just to keep your spirits high. If you stay on the East Coast, I hope your work will allow you to make a California journey every year. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues