Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Part of the problem may be that there just aren't any cities on the East Coast that meet my admittedly stringent criteria. I know people have been trying their best to give me alternatives. Unless I'm mistaken, I may have to start widening my search.
I would love to live in California one day. And I actually prefer Orange and Ventura Counties and the Central Coast, although they have different vibes from one another, over L.A. I don't dislike L.A.--I actually prefer it over NYC and Chicago based on my visits--but I just don't like it as much as the aforementioned areas.

I will admit that the Bay Area didn't and doesn't do much for me, but I think I owe the place at least another visit before I just write it off. I won't move out there for any old job, though; I don't live frivolously--in fact, I'm frugal--but I need to be able to pay the bills and afford somehow the high taxes and likely increasing taxes under Moonbeam (Gov. Brown) and his disciples (legislature).

I like Texas pretty well, also. I think I could also swing and parts of NC, GA, MS (no joke), NM, ID, UT, WA, OR, and NV pretty easily.

I used to really prefer the South and would not really consider any other region. However, some other recent trips have really changed this perception and I think for the better.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 01-03-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM

119 posts, read 339,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I would love to live in California one day. And I actually prefer Orange and Ventura Counties and the Central Coast, although they have different vibes from one another, over L.A. I don't dislike L.A.--I actually prefer it over NYC and Chicago based on my visits--but I just don't like it as much as the aforementioned areas.

I will admit that the Bay Area didn't and doesn't do much for me, but I think I owe the place at least another visit before I just write it off. I won't move out there for any old job, though; I don't live frivolously--in fact, I'm frugal--but I need to be able to pay the bills and afford somehow the high taxes and likely increasing taxes under Moonbeam (Gov. Brown) and his disciples (legislature).

I like Texas pretty well, also. I think I could also swing and parts of NC, GA, MS (no joke), NM, ID, UT, WA, OR, and NV pretty easily.

I used to really prefer the South and would not really consider any other region. However, some other recent trips have really changed this perception and I think for the better.
I know, the taxes in CA are scary. That -- other than the fact that it's far away from family -- is a big reason for me being circumspect about moving out there. I haven't ever been to Ventura County or the Central Coast. LA is OK, but not the most aesthetically pleasing IMO. Though it is a great place for artists. Judging from other threads about SoCal, LA probably gets too hot for me. Anyway, thanks for your insights.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,053 times
Westcoastdreamer have you ever considered the panhandle area of Florida?

We are moving to Okaloosa Island which is in the Fort Walton Beach area.

Heaven on earth

Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Westcoastdreamer have you ever considered the panhandle area of Florida?

We are moving to Okaloosa Island which is in the Fort Walton Beach area.

Heaven on earth
Hi GrainOfSalt, I have not ever considered moving there, but don't know much about it. How is the employment rate in your new neck of the woods? I worry about Florida in general because I have friends down there who say it's been a rough ride these past few years economically.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Hi GrainOfSalt, I have not ever considered moving there, but don't know much about it. How is the employment rate in your new neck of the woods? I worry about Florida in general because I have friends down there who say it's been a rough ride these past few years economically.
Well we're not there yet... but we are in action mode to get there as soon as we possibly can-- need to take care of a few things first, like selling our house.

Economically.... I think things are tougher all over. Where do you live now? Since I don't know I'm not sure how the areas would compare. For me... well I'm in the rust belt of Ohio... so most places are better.

Here you can check it out:

Okaloosa Island | Fort Walton Beach Florida | Destin Florida

Also, what do you do for a living? I'm a nurse, and last time we were there I checked into local nursing jobs and there were plenty.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Well we're not there yet... but we are in action mode to get there as soon as we possibly can-- need to take care of a few things first, like selling our house.

Economically.... I think things are tougher all over. Where do you live now? Since I don't know I'm not sure how the areas would compare. For me... well I'm in the rust belt of Ohio... so most places are better.

Here you can check it out:

Okaloosa Island | Fort Walton Beach Florida | Destin Florida

Also, what do you do for a living? I'm a nurse, and last time we were there I checked into local nursing jobs and there were plenty.
The thing that's hard is that where I live now has a lot of economic opportunity, but it's a total misfit for my personality. It's a city filled to the brim with type-A's. Even with the friends I've made here, I have to schedule hanging out with them weeks in advance to have a prayer of seeing them. Not that I like just dropping by people's houses, but it's not the way I grew up. I feel like everything is a struggle here, like I'll never ever get ahead.

I am a writer/editor, to answer your question. Usually, those types of jobs can be found in bigger cities or in college towns, but I think it's a pretty competitive field. I just want to hop in a car with my wife and little one and move out West asap. I think I'm through looking for that perfect East Coast town that, for me, probably doesn't exist.

Thanks for your two cents.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM

If anyone happens to read this far, can I propose a new question (and I may just go ahead and start a new thread at some point to address this)? Here goes: are there any large or mid-sized cities in California that remind you of the good attributes of the East Coast? I realize this is a pretty subjective question, and by "good" I mean that services are by-and-large delivered quickly, there's good public transportation, people value a strong work ethic, etc. Obviously San Francisco falls into this category, but anywhere else?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Well, San Francisco (as you said) is the closest to an "east coast" city in CA... and this is coming from a former north-easter now San Franciscan, so you can actually trust me on that. I absolutely love it here, but jobs are scarce and cost-of-living is horrendous - with your preferred budget of $1500/mo, you could only get a 1br apartment in the city. If you're willing to give up the city amenities, there are plenty of less expensive suburbs when you head east... and the farther east you go, the cheaper it gets! How do you feel about HOT (but dry) weather? If you can handle 90-100 non-humid degrees in the summer, Sacramento might fit some of your needs.

P.S. There might also be a few SoCal spots that fit the bill, but I'm not too familiar with that region. I'm thinking of maybe San Luis Obispo, San Diego or Santa Barbara, although the latter two are somewhat expensive.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,035 times
well, in SoCal you have to make plans to meet friends weeks in advance too, so don't kid yourself about that. And if you move too far out of your neighborhood, you may never hear from them again. And it's a very competitive place, at least career wise.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM

323 posts, read 529,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
well, in SoCal you have to make plans to meet friends weeks in advance too, so don't kid yourself about that. And if you move too far out of your neighborhood, you may never hear from them again. And it's a very competitive place, at least career wise.
When I lived there as well as when I visit a few times per year - there was/is always impromptu gatherings & BBQ's - as well as drop ins. We also drive all over to see friends and attend events.

The beauty of Cali is that different people are into different things and it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues