Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times

Advertisements

Every move I ever made for the first 9-12 months. It just takes that long to adjust to everything new: job, schools for kids, friends for everyone, favorite restaurants, foods,...., allergies....everything else.

I've never regretted any move after that period of adjustment. I have learned to expect it and how to cope with it, but apart from accepting that it always takes this long, it's not always a smooth process.

If you are alone, or without kids, or have spent a lot of time in the new place, the period may be shorter.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:07 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Because of age and family we moved back to CT from North FL after 25 years,horrible,like a death sentence,but no choice.
Much more freedom and much less taxes, in FL,taxes are not my gripe,like living in a shoe box.The drivers have no where to go but do run red lights,aggressive and speed.
Luckily we are retired and can hunker down and pick our time to move around.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
I am the same age and I moved back to Oklahoma City from NC in 2012 and have regretted it every day pretty much since day one. I came back primarily because of the recession but manipulation by family had a lot to do with it. I am stuck here until 2020, so that's three and a half more years of my life I'm going to have to spend here. I'm not looking forward to it, but I need to plan now and prepare for April 2020.

The way I look at it is if your move is for you and if it's something you want to do, you are a lot more likely to be satisfied with it. If you do it for somebody else or you are forced against your will, it's a lot more likely you will regret it.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If one does move someplace and does not like it, they can always move.
Unless you are fresh out of college, "just move" a lot of times next to impossible.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Regret ; not really. I have moved a few times, the most recent 4 years ago to Pittsburgh from Long Island. It was a fantastic move for our kids ; they thrived, experienced things they would never have experienced and really grabbed as much as they could.
It set my husband and I back financially big time. He found it very hard to find a permanent job, and now works in Wilkes Barre and i live in Pittsburgh until the kids finish high school in 2018. I would do it again in a heartbeat because of the kids. I will be moving again in 18 months. I do miss our friends that we had on Long Island a lot. I have never found the same type of friends here at all. Pittsburgh is great if you have family or extended family here. It is great as people here spend a lot of time with their families. We do not have any family or friends here so it is harder.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:37 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
Well, yes and no. Before we moved to the country, our home was paid off, just had to worry about lot rent. Also, if we needed something from the store, it was a few minutes travel time. We moved to the country few years ago, now have a mortgage for 3 acres. Now, if we need to go shopping...have to travel 8 miles. But hold it...they are opening a Dollar General about a mile away! Woohoo!!! Just in case we need a little milk, loaf of bread, or other small need at the moment things. But we actually love love LOVE the country for the open spaces, minimal traffic, raise our livestock and gardening...wouldn't move back to the city. Although....the kiddos are all grown, just me and the wife. We're looking to spread our wings to leave the state of Louisiana. Looking for a place with 4 seasons, have snowball fights, white Christmas...start a fresh life. So, regret the move? Just a little due to the mortgage. And if we move elsewhere, I'm sure there will be regret for the first several months. But, we're ready to begin a new life, assimilate a new culture, and make new friends.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:08 PM

505 posts, read 584,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If I had to quantify the most regretted move of people that I know, I would have to say it's their decision to move to Nevada, with the exception of the very few who live on the Nevada shore of Lake Tahoe. These are primarily Westerners.

OTOH, the move that most Westerners (not) surprisingly make very well is the move to the Southeast.
A rep to you! LOL! This is my third and last time living in Nevada. Desperately trying to leave. Dealing with a family situation has brought me back for my last time. This past move has been a horrible, life mistake.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:14 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
No. I have recently relocated and it has been difficult. None of my plans worked out but I am hopeful. I like my new city and I found a job. The pay is a third of what I made before but I am managing. There is also room to grow in the company which is encouraging. I am learning so much about myself and I look forward to what the future holds.

I can not believe that I gave up such a high paying job and I do not care. I am working in a new industry which is exciting. It is so difficult to get into something new. My neighborhood is awesome and I cannot wait until it warms up.

I suggest that you have little to no debt before you make the leap. It is also important that the new city's economy is good. It does not make sense to move to a new place where housing is cheap but there are no jobs. You need to ask yourself what you are looking for and prepared to deal with it if you get it. Change is scary but it also makes the heart pump. Good luck!
How funny is that? Look at me three years ago. Sorry kiddo but it did not work out. Oh well. At least you tried. I am glad that you made it back home. The journey has been turbulent to say the least but I am optimistic about the future. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Yes now looking back made money in calif and lost most of it south Carolina

Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 31,751 times
I have a question for people who went through the 1-2 years or other amounts of long term regret / feeling home sick. How did you get over it? Getting over this hump is proving very difficult for me. I am 3 months in the new area and while from the outside looking in things are going well inside I am very torn up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues