Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Yuo'd be better off getting a MagicJack (www.magicjack) or Vonage (www.vonage) VOIP number and use call forwarding on that... MUCH CHEAPER then any cell phone.
Part of the idea is a spare. Where I live I will probably have to do a replacement of the cell by mail. Which would leave me without a phone. A pay by minute phone which is used sparingly but will let local friends call without it being long distance (my sprint cell is unlimited so for me that is not a problem) will help both problems. Should the sprint phone die I still have a phone that way. (and lol can call it to find it when it goes into hiding )

Its too bad that my plan will not let you have a second line for a few dollars more (and a free phone) but it doesn't include that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
my vote goes to Majic Jack. I use it now and before that I used Vonage. Vonage is a monthly bill that debits from your checking acct. and the price always seemed to go UP. Majic jack is free after the initial 30.00 purchase-plug into computer, plug phone jack into it and call call call. Love it!!

Quote:
Yuo'd be better off getting a MagicJack (www.magicjack) or Vonage (www.vonage) VOIP number and use call forwarding on that... MUCH CHEAPER then any cell phone.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
my vote goes to Majic Jack. I use it now and before that I used Vonage. Vonage is a monthly bill that debits from your checking acct. and the price always seemed to go UP. Majic jack is free after the initial 30.00 purchase-plug into computer, plug phone jack into it and call call call. Love it!!
Magic Jack is not totally free.. you pay $20 a year.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
LOL-ok. So I stand corrected. However $20.00 a year for unlimited local and long distance is not a bad deal. oui?

Quote:
Magic Jack is not totally free.. you pay $20 a year.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
LOL-ok. So I stand corrected. However $20.00 a year for unlimited local and long distance is not a bad deal. oui?
Not at all, and when I move.. Im getting it.

My phone bill, on average, without DSL is about$65 with taxes, a month.. as I always get unlimited long distance if the phone company offers it.

I would save almost $800 a year, roughly 2 weeks salary by using Magic Jack.. and when 90 percent of my calls came from my parents out east, a friend in South Carolina and a friend in Hawaii which arent local to where I am anyways, does it matter what the number is?

To me, saving $700 to $900 a month (depending on your phone bill) is worth it especially if almost none of the calls you get are local to you anyways.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

14 posts, read 25,946 times
Default I Sooo Agree w/ This One....

I can't wait to be outta here...Some things are just not needed in life, regardless of WHO they come from...Peace of Mind is the goal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
It was not hard at all. It is nice being farther away from the drama, personal problems, and control issues that my family had. We are not going to argue as much being farther away and my mother won't be able to come by without calling.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 AM

53 posts, read 158,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria92008 View Post
There is no place like home. But They say you can't take it with you, this includes family and friends. Some people need people some don't this too includes family.
So true! I felt I needed my family, so I moved back home, only to find I hated where I moved back to and the reason why I left. I had to get therapy and learned not to depend on my family for happiness, but happiness has to be in me. I'm leaving again in two months and I'm looking forward to this move with no looking back

Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 AM

61 posts, read 174,198 times
Best thing I ever did was move away from my hometown and experience life in a different part of the country. I've always felt being born in a certain area of the country doesn't necessarily make it the "best" place for me as an adult; and I was right. Was never really close with my family so it was not that big of an adjustment moving away. I never want to move back home and deal with the winter weather.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollazo View Post
I can't wait to be outta here...Some things are just not needed in life, regardless of WHO they come from...Peace of Mind is the goal....
Same here, it's only a matter of myself waiting for my financial situation to improve enough, before I move. Best of luck to you in achieving your dream!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:36 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
I am SO glad I moved away. I was born and raised in Southern California, and really needed to experience a different place to get perspective. I moved to Maryland for college, and to Virginia for a job after graduation. I've been away from my family for 6 years now, and I'm really glad I did it.

I'm close to my family--call them almost daily to talk for a bit, and I fly out there 1-2x per year, my parents come here 1-2x per year. I don't miss them, because I'm busy and happy and fulfilled in my life here. I have activities and volunteer groups and work and extra grad school classes I picked up. My husband's family is a 2 hour drive away, which almost feels too close--we're expected to visit a couple times a month, and it's overwhelming to me.

We're looking at moving to North Carolina in a year or two, to get yet another perspective on life. I can't wait. I love going new places, experiencing new things, and meeting new people. Family isn't going anywhere--visits are always possible. It's only a few hundred dollars and 6 hours on a plane to get home whenever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues