Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

We moved from suburban (LI) NY to Vermont/Western NH..near Dartmouth College.

It's a nice, safe, clean area. The weather is decent from April till October or November then it's 'dead zone, squirrel land..everyone hides inside time.'

The worst bit is economically I am at a desperate point.

The job situation for me has been dire! I have been looking for a full time REAL job since September 07 and only worked 6 months so far (temp job). The bottom of the economic world fell apart in September 08 and I have only had 2 interviews since. One was a good job but did not get it. The other was for a crappy job with less than 12 hours week.

It's not like I don't have education and experience!

I am sick of not having a job. My husband works nights at a good job but we cannot live on his paycheck...they pay so poorly here overall.

I will not go back to NY though...What will happen...? Who knows..?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
If there was a perfect place we would all be living there. You can't beat yourself always thinking about where you would want to be living next. If you can make the move and try it. If not, try to look at the positives instead of the negatives.

Each State has it's own beauty in someone's eyes but others might see it different. Some like the heat and humidity and others enjoy the four season's.

Where ever you might be heading good luck to you

Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM

50 posts, read 291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
If you can make the move and try it.
And Im going to try it!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM

288 posts, read 851,792 times
Default "grease trap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Glad I am not the only one. Florida is ok but the area I am in is falling down the crapper fast. Alot of crime, getting run down. here is redneck alley! I will never adjust to this culture shock here!
I remember after Hurricane Andrew hit the Miami area, the local law enforcement were quoted in Newsweek or somewhere like that that they had a theory about Florida and the Sun Belt in general, they called it the "grease trap theory," meaning that all the riff raff of the U.S. kind of came down the drain and got stuck down in those states.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
As for "I couldn't find a job in my area"... no, often what people mean is "couldn't find a job that would enable me to buy a home theater system"...
Actually, I would probably stay in the city Im trying to leave if I could find a job that paid enough to buy a house in a safe area. In all areas, its not always about luxuries. That is a very broad and often incorrect assumption you are making.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Thank goodness he saw the "light". We are from San Diego and moved to Washington in July and LOVED it. Then winter came... and my husband and I went crazyfrom the weather but hung in there for 4 years and eventually moved to Idaho. (real estate too high in CA). We want to go back to CA but relatives are discouraging us at this point. You have courage and everything will work out for you eventually. It may be a challege at first but you will appreciate it more when everything comes together.
Interesting. I spent a week in Seattle on the west side during my winter break of '07, and spent two weeks there during my winter break of '08 on the east side. I also spent most of the past summer there...

I wonder if those of you that specified you did not like the rain in WA had children? Is that a big reason why? Or what was a major cause ...?

I cannot wait to get the heck out of CA! My boyfriend moved a year ago, and if he had found a job sooner (before I signed a contract with my school for the next year), I probably would have gone sooner!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM

92 posts, read 367,233 times
I am stuck in Metro Detroit. I grew up here, really don't like it very much and would love to move to WV. My husband on the other hand wants very much to stay. He has all his family here. Now we see them like 6 times a year but he will not leave the state. My family is all here too and I see them a lot more but I know that moving is not going to change the love we feel for one another and I know that we will visit. I am so sick of living in the same place just different towns. I envision Detroit as a sun and I just keep orbiting around it, West side, South West side, Down River, East Side, Northern Side. I can't seem to be able to move away from this f****** city. LOL, my husband wants to buy cemetery plots. so it looks like I am spending eternity here too. I can't even get him to relocate to a different area of MI. I have tried. It looks like we are going to be moving again, right now we are in Romulus and he wants to go North. His idea of North is Oakland County. My idea of North is UP. Ah well it could be worse. Diane

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM

102 posts, read 338,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeeileen View Post
I am stuck in Metro Detroit. I grew up here, really don't like it very much and would love to move to WV. My husband on the other hand wants very much to stay. He has all his family here. Now we see them like 6 times a year but he will not leave the state. My family is all here too and I see them a lot more but I know that moving is not going to change the love we feel for one another and I know that we will visit. I am so sick of living in the same place just different towns. I envision Detroit as a sun and I just keep orbiting around it, West side, South West side, Down River, East Side, Northern Side. I can't seem to be able to move away from this f****** city. LOL, my husband wants to buy cemetery plots. so it looks like I am spending eternity here too. I can't even get him to relocate to a different area of MI. I have tried. It looks like we are going to be moving again, right now we are in Romulus and he wants to go North. His idea of North is Oakland County. My idea of North is UP. Ah well it could be worse. Diane
Moved from Oakland County, MI to Florida almost 2 years ago. I hate it here! I wish I could switch places with you! Big difference from Romulus ( I grew up downriver), no wonder you hate it there LOL!
Moved for my husband's job. Left a beautiful home on 2 acres for a condo on a 4 lane hwy. Everything here is geared to tourists/ retirees. It is really hard to move mid-life and having to start everything over. I haven't be able to get a job, as the job market here is really bad.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0o0tingstar View Post
Interesting. I spent a week in Seattle on the west side during my winter break of '07, and spent two weeks there during my winter break of '08 on the east side. I also spent most of the past summer there...

I wonder if those of you that specified you did not like the rain in WA had children? Is that a big reason why? Or what was a major cause ...?

I cannot wait to get the heck out of CA! My boyfriend moved a year ago, and if he had found a job sooner (before I signed a contract with my school for the next year), I probably would have gone sooner!
Hey sh0o0tingstar- To answer your question re: rain and kids - it's not the rain that bothers me but the grayness during 8-9 months of the year. I have an infant now, but the lack of sunlight has gotten on my nerves for all 5 years I've lived in Seattle. That being said, some people don't mind the gray or actually prefer it. As for the rain itself, we get less accumulated inches per year than many places in the country - it's more of a continuous misty drizzle ("mizzle"). Hope that helps

Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Many, many times. Had to go where the work was.

Conclusion: In my next life get into a field that allows for personal choice in where I live. (E.g. doctor, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues